Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomyris View Post
    Did someone say cheese?
    French cheese is terrible, don't even try.

Everyone knows Greek Water Buffalo cheese is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We export almost $200 billion worth of goods and services to China each year and that amount is growing rapidly. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count Chinese investment in the US either, which is also a thing. It might be a bit one-sided, but it's still coming back to us eventually. China also spends money other places, and then those other places may end up doing business with us as well.
    Though it sometimes may not seem like it, China is very much dependent on American goods to survive, both for high-tech stuff they don't have the expertise to make on their own and for the necessities of day to day life, like soy sauce....

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

This shows the inherent weakness of the american public
    its not about americans - most of world are borderlien retards who although finished at least basic schools have 0 knowledge od basic economy or politics.

MAGA was bullshit last year.

MAGA is bullshit today.

MAGA will continue to be bullshit a year from now.

America's long been plenty great. And the world's largest economy can't (and won't) tinker with a winning strategy.

Protectionism will have to be legislated by Congress. Spoilers: Paul Ryan already said, it ain't happening kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Skroe View Post

MAGA is bullshit today.

America's long been plenty great. And the world's largest economy can't (and won't) tinker with a winning strategy.

Protectionism will have to be legislated by Congress. Spoilers: Paul Ryan already said, it ain't happening kids.

Then Paul Ryan can get the fuck out. People want jobs. They don't have them now. Paul Ryan ignores the rust belt at his peril.

Quote Originally Posted by Delana View Post
    Then Paul Ryan can get the fuck out. People want jobs. They don't have them now. Paul Ryan ignores the rust belt at his peril.
    So, they are pushing against capitalism and free markets in the rust belt? That seems petty and selfish on their part. Why do conservatives hate freedom and capitalism so much in America?

The Rust belt people live in economically obsolete areas in obsolete industries. Nothing and nobody will change that.

Paul Ryan won't be going anywhere and the jobs will not be coming back. To pretend otherwise is delusional. Not only is he too powerful, but on top of that, hovering above everything is the specter of automation.

The machines don't give a fuck how emotionally people are attaches to their obsolete industries. You know how the real snowflakes are in America? Rust belt Trump voters who think they are ENTITLED to their old factories re-opening.

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    We export almost $200 billion worth of goods and services to China each year and that amount is growing rapidly. I'm pretty sure that doesn't count Chinese investment in the US either, which is also a thing. It might be a bit one-sided, but it's still coming back to us eventually. China also spends money other places, and then those other places may end up doing business with us as well.
    My point was mainly focused on the fact that trade flows are grossly tilted towards china. Also China has some of the most craziest capital outflow regulations there are.

- - - Updated - - -

MAGA is bullshit today.

Paul Ryan is trying to pass somewhat protectionist mesures through his border adjustment tax plan.

And meanwhile in the other thread someone's claiming liberals are brainwashing us.

I guess if Trump brainwashes like this it's fine, but anyone else just chants a slogan it's the end of the world for Trumpets.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

Quote Originally Posted by TheFuse View Post
    I still don't understand what happened to make America not be great in the first place. When was it great and when did it become not great?
    I dunno ask Bill?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's one of the few things Ryan is actually doing right.

Fuck the Rust Belt and the way it assumes it can just dictate fact-devoid economic policy for the rest of us because 'reasons'.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    It's one of the few things Ryan is actually doing right.

Fuck the Rust Belt and the way it assumes it can just dictate fact-devoid economic policy for the rest of us because 'reasons'.
    The rust belt will suffer, and it will be a self inflicted wound. I relish on their suffering
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    American industry fell on its face because it was too expensive compared to foreign competition. Heavy industry wise, it didnt help that most US heavy industry infrastructure was either worn out by WWII or build in bad locations because of WWII while Germany and Japan had their industrial infrastructure built new post war. We didnt modernize and it hurt. Then there are all of the environmental regs, high wages, etc. And finally, many Americans would rather buy cheap than buy American.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    American industry fell on its face because it was too expensive compared to foreign competition. Heavy industry wise, it didnt help that most US heavy industry infrastructure was either worn out by WWII or build in bad locations because of WWII while Germany and Japan had their industrial infrastructure built new post war. We didnt modernize and it hurt. Then there are all of the environmental regs, high wages, etc. And finally, many Americans would rather buy cheap than buy American.
    It didnt help that US cars, until relatively recently, were just antiquated junk compared to foreign designs. Dated interiors. Lousy engines. Unreliable mechanics. Bad designs. They got out-competed by foreign imports that, rightfully, in a free market, pushed out the complacent Titans. Detroit made a shit product and rightfully so, lost their stranglehold. That is how a free market is supposed to work.

Ironically, Trump supporters are anti-capitalist. But then again, they bouth decry the 2008/2009 bailouts, including the Auto bailout, while wanting traditional American industrial jobs. They just make no sense whatsoever. Trumpkins are the real snowflakes in this society.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Maybe I'm consoling myself for buying expensive head gear but $30 isn't too bad. I'd argue that a $50 fitted cap is the way to go. Still, the MAGA caps are garbage. Feels exactly how it looks--cheaply made.
    I kinda agree. Generally speaking, 30$ for a baseball cap doesn't seem that outrageous to me - even though I would obviously not buy a MAGA one.

10+ Year Old Account
    It didnt help that US cars, until relatively recently, were just antiquated junk compared to foreign designs. Dated interiors. Lousy engines. Unreliable mechanics. Bad designs. They got out-competed by foreign imports that, rightfully, in a free market, pushed out the complacent Titans. Detroit made a shit product and rightfully so, lost their stranglehold. That is how a free market is supposed to work.

Ironically, Trump supporters are anti-capitalist. But then again, they bouth decry the 2008/2009 bailouts, including the Auto bailout, while wanting traditional American industrial jobs. They just make no sense whatsoever. Trumpkins are the real snowflakes in this society.
    Personally, I would kill to be able to buy a carburated 350/351/360 or 440/454/460 V-8 tied to a NP or SM 4 speed in a truck with a low end 70s interior. As for cars, I dont buy those from any company, too impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by ccombustable View Post
    Our mindset has completely changed too, so that American made doesn't work anymore. The "throw away" economy, as it were. Most people can only afford American made if that item is intended to last far longer than anything is anymore. The phrase "they don't make em like the used to" had some real roots, ask some old folks.
    I don't even know if it solely due to items being cheaper. Even American made goods fail to stand up from counter parts from the ~80s and before. "Designed Obsolescence" is a term I have heard used. Less money in selling goods that 10-20 years. Coffee pots, I have the one my grandpa first bought some 65 years ago. I don't use it. But it still works fine. Now making a product that goes to shit so a consumer has to buy 5 in their life... MONEY!!
    READ and be less Ignorant.