Thread: Tiny House

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Serenity View Post
    Im a pretty princess! \o/

Also, needed a small change
    So I take it that the South finally rose again and became a monarchy? Well, congrats and good job on seizing that opportunity!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    If you can't carry all of your belongings in like,2-3 suitcases, you have too much stuff.
    I think this is where a difference in lifestyle explains everything.

You do you, and its probably a good idea for people just starting out in life, but I cant imagine it being a good long term life strategy unless you want to be a nomad for life.

Not interested in a 'tiny house', but I have been somewhat interested in RV/Van living while traveling lately!

I stumbled across a series of videos on Youtube that I found to be highly engaging. Watching this girl describe and show her lifestyle was very intriguing to me to the point I began doing research on the topic.

Truthfully, living in a car or van is very unfeasible. I would likely never do it but its a cool romantic idea to me.

More realistically, I think living a year or two in a nice RV as we drive around the US and Canada would be do-able. Another series of Youtube videos I saw detailed a couple living out of their RV while traveling.

Understand that I can not stand camping. Why the idea of 'urban camping' appeals to me, I have no idea. Seems fun, I want to try it at some point!

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is where a difference in lifestyle explains everything.

You do you, and its probably a good idea for people just starting out in life, but I cant imagine it being a good long term life strategy unless you want to be a nomad for life.
    I don't even think it's that.

It just boils down to this: You don't actually need a lot of the shit you have.

10+ Year Old Account

I mean that's true. In regards to actual needs, humans really just need the basics and maybe a couple things for entertainment. Everything after that is a want that enhances comfort. However, people's personalities differ, so levels of comfort will vary. Like...my old apt was something like 600 sq feet and I was ok with that. I had a dorm room that was like 100 feet and that was entirely too small for my comfort.

Also, 2 cats is a need, damnit.

10+ Year Old Account

Fairly sure most people understand they don't physically NEED 99% of the stuff they have. Its a matter or convenience or preference or sometimes just because you like something. People are materialistic, its the human condition.

So very true.

I think it boils down to attachment to stuff. I'm not attached to the crap I own in the slightest and am constantly trying to downsize what I own (or more often, avoid buying more things at all costs). Some people have deep psychological attachments to things, I had a roommate once who had a hard time getting rid of the oldest and nastiest of shit (like a broken bookshelf that couldn't even hold books on it) and has rental storage that looks like a hoarder's space. She wasn't attached to her stuff because her great aunt left it to her and it had deep sentimental value, she just couldn't bring herself to get rid of it or anything else she owned.

More common I think people are attached to belongings because they are family heirlooms or something similar which I find understandable, but then again I do things like chuck my old high school yearbooks into the trash because I didn't want to haul them from AK to IL...I'm definitely not the nostalgic type.

I just finished building an 800sqft home. That's about as small as I can go. If I was to ever do something like that I would just get a camper. Even though there are really nice tiny homes out there I think the cons outweigh the pros. They are expensive, awkward to pull, and heavy as fuck. Something a lot of people don't think about is the need for a big truck to move them. Now if you're going to keep it semi permanent then you might can get someone move it for you, but if that was the case I'd just build a small home for a fraction of the cost. For the price to buy a nice one you could buy a really nice camper and a vehicle to pull it with.
    I'm the root of all that is evil, yeah, but you can call me cookie.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    So very true.

I think it boils down to attachment to stuff. I'm not attached to the crap I own in the slightest and am constantly trying to downsize what I own (or more often, avoid buying more things at all costs). Some people have deep psychological attachments to things, I had a roommate once who had a hard time getting rid of the oldest and nastiest of shit (like a broken bookshelf that couldn't even hold books on it) and has rental storage that looks like a hoarder's space. She wasn't attached to her stuff because her great aunt left it to her and it had deep sentimental value, she just couldn't bring herself to get rid of it or anything else she owned.

More common I think people are attached to belongings because they are family heirlooms or something similar which I find understandable, but then again I do things like chuck my old high school yearbooks into the trash because I didn't want to haul them from AK to IL...I'm definitely not the nostalgic type.
    yeah admitedly because I enjoy my family, Im rather attached to certian things that are associated with them. My grandfather's favorite chair for instance. Or like the 4 wooden ducks on our wall that remind me of my grandparents. Or this one painting over the fireplace we've had since I was little and we call it "God" because its a portrait of a really old man.

Illogical, but feelings are rarely logical.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    So very true.

Yeah, pretty much this. When I moved recently I just took my dress clothes, a few pairs of shoes, and a laptop. I didn't see the point in taking anything else.

I'd take it a step further and say that keepsakes are worthless because you actually value the experiences or whatever they symbolize instead of the object itself.

Our place is kind of small, if someone is in the kitchen you either wait until they come out or you go in and it's going to get rather intimate, a little like playing a game of twister.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    yeah admitedly because I enjoy my family, Im rather attached to certian things that are associated with them. My grandfather's favorite chair for instance. Or like the 4 wooden ducks on our wall that remind me of my grandparents. Or this one painting over the fireplace we've had since I was little and we call it "God" because its a portrait of a really old man.

Illogical, but feelings are rarely logical.
    If it's not a massive financial burden or anything like that keep it. IMO anyways
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Bigz you're like the black me I never had.

I'm looking at a price of land to build on. I think the most expensive part will be getting electric and sewer, but we will see or I should ask. Would do my tiny house on a foundation since basement, even a small one is important in Nebraska.

I think I'll be set to do it as soon as I sell my current house, but I want to have the land before then.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

i plan to save up $ for a tiny house, with a large plot of land. the house itself will be small, but there will lots of outdoor living areas, and gardens.
    gonna try to make it as off the grid as i can as well.

While not as small, me and my wife plan to have a house built in the woods (would love something like 50-100 acres), our goal is 1000sqft or less.

However we won't do this till out daughter (now 10) is out on her own (either college or otherwise). For now we will suck it up here in suburbia.

From my paternal grandparents and my wife's parents, we inherited a lot of nice furnitures and antiques. Neither one of us would dream of getting rid of them.

For example, the dining room set shown below, which I inherited from my grandparents, was carved in Jepara from solid teak. The table top is black marble, and the chair seat is white granite. Its all mortise and tenon construction with no nails or screws. They are not furniture that you can get at IKEA. Moving into a small house would mean that we have to get rid of them or store them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd prefer small living area as long as the space is efficient. Ikea has some great layouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like the trailer in The Accountant.

I would like something like that too much, it'd be bad for my health.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Anyone eating eggs or Mexican food in one of those things better not have guests over for a little while.

Deleted
    Well, a good way to turn the less fortunate into house owners I guess?