Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

UK Supreme Court rules on Brexit

Parliament has to vote on it, Scotland doesn't get a veto.

So thoughts now on if May's march date goes through? I've got no feel on the pulse of their parliament to actually pass Brexit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Legendary!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Will probably slow things down a bit.

10+ Year Old Account
    What does this mean for those of us unfamiliar with English law/proceedings?
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Parliament has to vote on it, Scotland doesn't get a veto.

So thoughts now on if May's march date goes through? I've got no feel on the pulse of their parliament to actually pass Brexit.
    Parliament is actually against Brexit, but voting against it would be a career suicide for most MPs.

Although I'm still wondering whether those whose constituencies voted to remain would take it up. They could easily claim that for them, that is the will of the people.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by WskyDK View Post
    More posturing and maybe some horse trading before it goes through.

10+ Year Old Account
    Here lies David St. Hubbins, and why not?
    It means legislation will have to be passed (through the lower and upper house) that allows the government to trigger Article 50. The government argued no legislation needed to be passed e.g., there would be no debate in the lower and upper houses.

In reality, it doesn't mean very much. Although there will be a number of MPs who choose to vote against in the form of a protest vote, the majority will support the legislation so as not to seem to challenge the blessed "will of the people" (whatever the fuck that means).

What it will do is give a bit of leverage to e.g., Corbyn (keen to see no erosion of workers' rights).

IMO it's a good thing and the government should never have challenged the original decision in the supreme court. It sounds as though they were expecting this.
    You can't really dust for vomit.

It means parliament has to okay brexit, not because the PM doesn't have the power to withdraw from EU treaties, but that they don't have the power to unilaterally change UK's laws, and because a withdrawal from the EU constitutes a change in UK's laws (because they delegated law making authority to the EU which then made laws that are binding on the UK) the PM doesn't have the power to unilaterally invoke article 50. Also that scotland doesn't get to unilaterally say no to brexit. I'm unsure what more you're asking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Scotland should go decide their own future. They've been ruled by the English long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Scotland should go decide their own future. They've been ruled by the English long enough.
    They did, but voted against it.

Quote Originally Posted by Volardelis View Post
    They did, but voted against it.
    Under the belief that leaving the UK would mean leaving the EU, but now the English are forcing them to leave the EU anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    So what if Parliament doesn't approve it?

Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    So what if Parliament doesn't approve it?
    Then it wouldn't happen. However it is extremely unlikely Parliament won't approve it.

Deleted
    But let's suppose that one of the attempts to block the Brexit is successful. The damage is already done basically.

The other (large) EU countries will never take the UK serious again and they will never be really involved in anything important again.
    Unless something needs to be paid for of course, then they will be involved.

You fought for parliamentary sovereignty with Brexit.

Now you got it.

What's the big deal?

(There is no chance this won't pass, both major parties support it.)

Under the belief that leaving the UK would mean leaving the EU, but now the English are forcing them to leave the EU anyway.
    It's a bit more complicated than that though. Scotland was always free to petition for EU membership independently if they chose to leave the UK. The problem is that Scotland wanted to remain a part of the EU under the same terms as they were as part of the UK. The UK negotiated some perks to their membership with the EU and had a fair amount of power. If Scotland were to petition for membership independently they would lose those perks and have no relative power and that has not changed with Brexit.
    Signature not found

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't get your hopes up. This reminds me too much of the Trump's electoral college vote.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    That fucking ni**er sure knows how to stir a shitstorm, thanks for slowing down the social and economic progression, thanks for nothing.

infracted - forbidden topics. DO NOT EDIT OUT MOD MESSAGES
    Last edited by Crissi; 2017-01-28 at 10:50 PM.

this means that parliament will corect what retards fucked up in referendum. and brexit will bea bad internet meme for next 20 years nothing more.

I bet Parliament will vote against Brexit voters be damned.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

10+ Year Old Account
    Scotland has never been ruled by the English. One of the reasons England and Scotland went into the Union, was because we couldn't conquer those stubborn bastards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I bet Parliament will vote against Brexit voters be damned.
    Not a chance, most MPs are in constituencies that voted Leave, they would be committing political suicide.

It'll go through parliament without a problem, but it's important that it does.

Legal precedents are powerful things when it comes to big changes to a nation. Something like this has to power to change how laws are made.