Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Flying cars that you get to drive are never coming. The only way that would happen is if it was completely autonomous and there was no way you could gain control of the vehicle. Sorry guys, terrorism exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Flying cars that you get to drive are never coming. The only way that would happen is if it was completely autonomous and there was no way you could gain control of the vehicle. Sorry guys, terrorism exists.
    Man, terrorism is the least of our worries. Humans...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by torish View Post
    In the 80s, scientists predicted we will have flying cars in 2015.

It didnt happen. I don't believe development will be that fast.
    I believe it could have happened though. We just didn't want it enough. I also believe we could have had a perm base on Mars by now if we really wanted it as a species.

Anyways, most on the list is probably 10-15 years away, not 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Him of Many Faces View Post
    1. unlikely, there will be a lot of ai in 5 years but speech analysis on that level is a stretch, if only due to the speed at which data the ai can learn from can be gathered. on top of that it would already have to be in FDA approval procedures to make the cut.
    2. unlikely, too advanced/expensive for 5 years unless the military had it right now, and if the military had it right now they wouldn't be allowed to talk about it.
    3. sure, military has cameras that can do that right now and has publicly talked about it, so possible.
    4. already exists, so possible it will reach mass market in 5 years. basically just a glorified name for a smaller pregnancy test/blood sugar test/urine analyzer that can do more complicated tests.
    5. sure, basically just evolution of existing tech, unlikely to reach high saturation/deployment levels in 5 years though unless they start real soon.
    Basically what I was going to type. #1 and #2 are real stretches, I don't see #2 coming about to mass market for another 20 years to be honest. That's accounting for the speed-up of technology.

10+ Year Old Account
    IBM tend to be really creative in their predictions. Quite frankly, it is mostly done to hype the technology and get public attention.

Now that doesn't mean it's bound to fail. The past five years, we've seen Big Data and learned how to exploit it. Now we're at a point where Big Data can't go much farther -- abstraction, or in other words the human input, prevent Big Data to accurately make "intelligent" steps. The ability to improvise and adapt on an individual level.

Here's where things gets interesting: Deep Learning. The new toy that is bound to revolutionize how our technology, market, politics, science, medicine and entertainment. As Wikipedia puts it:

Deep learning (also known as deep structured learning, hierarchical learning or deep machine learning) is a branch of machine learning based on a set of algorithms that attempt to model high level abstractions in data. In a simple case, there might be two sets of neurons: ones that receive an input signal and ones that send an output signal. When the input layer receives an input it passes on a modified version of the input to the next layer. In a deep network, there are many layers between the input and output (and the layers are not made of neurons but it can help to think of it that way), allowing the algorithm to use multiple processing layers, composed of multiple linear and non-linear transformations.[1][2][3][4][5][6][7][8][9]
    More specifically: allows the computer to make decisions through a complex neural network. To think.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account

I don't know if Back to the Future 2 was meant to be taken all that seriously.

Though they did essentially predict Trump...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grimbold21 View Post
    This reminds me of back in the early 90s there were predictions that by early 2000s we would have flying cars.
    And so we did. But they proved to be useless.

- - - Updated - - -

We have flying cars for nearly 10 years, they just happen to be useless. So instead we have self driving Tesla.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Deep learning in its current state isn't a black box you're making it out to be. You still have to be very conscientious of your inputs, parameters, etc. and it still requires that "human input" for validation, feature engineering, etc.
    The black box is referring to the inability to understand the representations. Most all of the big neural nets are like black boxes because the data representation goes toward being decorrelated. Sometimes they aren't blackboxes though. Like with visual facial models you can see how they create edges and facial features on some layers. AlphaGo on the other hand would give you little clue as to how it is arriving at a solution, outside of the optimization result it spits out.
    Last edited by PC2; 2017-01-26 at 06:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    I always expected flying cars to come after automated ones. People suck enough at 2D driving, I could only imagine what 10,000 cars in rush hour traffic would be like under human control with the vertical axis in play.
    Pretty sure at that point the control will be handled by complex AIs, and the humans will only have to specify the destination.
    Quote Originally Posted by King Candy View Post
    I can't explain it because I'm an idiot, and I have to live with that post for the rest of my life. Better to just smile and back away slowly. Ignore it so that it can go away.
    Thanks for the avatar goes to Carbot Animations and Sy.

Quote Originally Posted by Sliske View Post
    ever hear this version?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bolly View Post
    Deep learning in its current state isn't a black box you're making it out to be. You still have to be very conscientious of your inputs, parameters, etc. and it still requires that "human input" for validation, feature engineering, etc. And that ignores the computational problems such as scaling.
    Indeed. But I haven't made the claim that in its state, it is perfect. The good thing about DL is that once we've been able to develop a solid frame, we should be able to almost exponentially iterate and progress. But we yet have to make a convincing frame.

Much like Big Data, in fact. Given a few years, I have no doubt Deep Learning will be the next big thing.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Meh, seems kinda weak to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Quote Originally Posted by De Lupe View Post
    I want my hover board first.
    along with flying cars, hover boards already exist.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    IBM tend to be really creative in their predictions. Quite frankly, it is mostly done to hype the technology and get public attention.

Now that doesn't mean it's bound to fail. The past five years, we've seen Big Data and learned how to exploit it. Now we're at a point where Big Data can't go much farther -- abstraction, or in other words the human input, prevent Big Data to accurately make "intelligent" steps. The ability to improvise and adapt on an individual level.

Here's where things gets interesting: Deep Learning. The new toy that is bound to revolutionize how our technology, market, politics, science, medicine and entertainment. As Wikipedia puts it:

More specifically: allows the computer to make decisions through a complex neural network. To think.
    Neural Networks are old, probably more than 50-year-old. We've been exploiting it for a long time, especially after computational power of machines got to the point which met the requirements of neural systems. Deep Learning is a step forward, but hardly revolutionary.

Your perception and maze are solely constructed by the way Deep Learning is advertised in media, i.e., popular science.

For early neural systems, you can read about Hodgkin-Huxley model.
    Last edited by Kuntantee; 2017-01-28 at 11:57 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Neural Networks are old, probably more than 50-year-old. We've been exploiting it for a long time, especially after computational power of machines got to the point which met the requirements of neural systems. Deep Learning is a step forward, but hardly revolutionary.

Your perception and maze are solely constructed by the way Deep Learning is advertised in media, i.e., popular science.

For early neural systems, you can read about Hodgkin-Huxley model.
    Yeah they are old, but as long as you keep getting more computation and good data they just keep getting better because gradient descent scales. There is still a lot left to get out if them through better GPUs, then probably FPGAs and ASICs after that.

Deleted
    Five years is way too soon for such a tech leap.

None of this will happen haha, science predictions are always wrong, always.
    X