Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Ha! You're way out of touch. The younger crowd today is not really into books bud.
    Jokes just fly over your head eh? I guess thats how you live with yourself day to day

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    Honestly, I'd prefer them to just feature regular electric outlets, rather than screens. The screens are too small and clunky, and the movie selection usually is very limited - I would prefer to be able to open up my laptop and do whatever I want on it.

Ever had 14 hours long transpacific flights? Might change your outlook!
    yes i have. transatlantic. this was before they put screens in the seats. was happy with entertaining myself...so no doesn't change my outlook.

- - - Updated - - -

Ha! You're way out of touch. The younger crowd today is not really into books bud.
    no younger crowd today (and im 31) dont know how to entertain themselves. nothing to do with books.

Huh. I was just on an AA 787 and it was one of the nicer planes I've been on, so I'm a bit surprised by the move.

That said, most people are brining tablets with them that they can easily watch things on. As long as they're still providing power, in flight WiFi, and a selection of available entertainment, this seems fine.

I'll still prefer Delta as a generality though. Just an all around better airline.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    When did recreational reading become a requirement of literacy? Since illiterate people can't read how do you expect them to be insulted by you much less read some boring novel?
    My general experience is that people who don't read recreationally are generally pretty dull and uninteresting. Obviously YMMV, but this is usually a bad sign.

It must be hell inside the brain of someone who is outraged by almost everything. If you are triggered by a company doing what more than a dozen other airlines have already done, you have some emotional issues you need to address. Buckle up, life is not going to get any easier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    What's to stop you from downloading a movie before you fly? I always download various things for long trips (podcasts, movies, shows etc)
    1. That would not be legal
    2. Idk if that's the case with american airlines but on international/transcontinental flights I've seen movies that were still in cinemas/before home release
    3. Built In screen is more convenient, no hassle with setting it up and no issue how to hold the screen to comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    But would you download a plane?
    I would and I would 3D paint it too. Suck it AA.

Btw Tennisace, why do you put smileys into your titles?

I just don't fly. Problem solved.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/tech...max/index.html

Way to go AA.
    Now even more people will choose other airlines.

I personally have flown AA once and it was a pretty mediocre experience. Old airplane, bad food, loud flight attendants..
    Pity for those who do fly with them though. Stuck staring at nothing.
    I fly a ton for my job and I can tell you all of them suck. Sure some are a slightly better experince than others (and it varies between crews, plane, and most important other passangers) but over all the brand doesn't make the difference. It is the class of seat. Give me the worst brand, crew, plane, and passangers and if it is in first class I will be sitting back and drinking bubbly while watching your own personal 30 inch TV at the perfect distance. In other words time of my life flying. Those exact same conditions just sometimes 10 - 15 feet back it is a nightmare zone of coach.

Airlines sadly only care about the deep pockets like most things in life. But unlike a lot of things in life you usually don't see how great rich folks get it while on a plane those rich folk often get to hear the tortured screams from the dungon in the back up front. Then at the same time when one of the rats in the back gets free and takes a piss in the middle bathroom they see the paradise the wealthier tickets have.

Thankfully I often fly with clients to locations so I get those awsome tickets. But when I fly alone on business its in the rat cage in the back. It is the only major difference.

Quote Originally Posted by larix View Post
    1. That would not be legal.
    There are plenty of options to legally download movies (Netflix being one of them).

Only time I ever flown AA, I had a nice experience with a flight attendant from Russia. Even had a drink with her in the airport after we landed, too bad she couldn't stay longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deleted
    Honestly, I dont blame them all too much.

Most of the flights I have nowadays are too short for the in movie stuff, but most ppl have a smartphone that can play movies and the like.

If they intend to follow-through, they NEED to add charging ports, either USB, or a "normal" power port. Personally, im for the usb option as not every country has the same power cable(slots/holes)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Only time I ever flown AA, I had a nice experience with a flight attendant from Russia. Even had a drink with her in the airport after we landed, too bad she couldn't stay longer.
    Lol so your entire judgement is based on interacting with one attendant. Way to see the big picture...

Never flown before so not sure how the "entertainment" is handled but isn't it usually crappy B movies? If people can provide their own entertainment and save the airline some money why not?
    I don't fly a lot, but jetblue has full blown TV plus films, you can choose what you want to watch.

What's to stop you from downloading a movie before you fly? I always download various things for long trips (podcasts, movies, shows etc)
    The battery life of my device.

I can entertain myself with a phone or laptop...but the saddest thing about this is now you cant see the map of where you are in the world. I liked watching that.

I only fly between Toronto and Washington mainly for work which is less then two hours so I'll survive I guess.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/01/25/tech...max/index.html

Way to go AA.
    Now even more people will choose other airlines.

I personally have flown AA once and it was a pretty mediocre experience. Old airplane, bad food, loud flight attendants..
    Pity for those who do fly with them though. Stuck staring at nothing.
    AA are bad, but it's the way it's going - they just have a stream to device option and Wifi onboard. A lot of airlines have that option plus the screen. Screens will go to save weight and money. Makes sense.

I fly between the UK and the States every 4 to 6 weeks. In the two years I've been doing that, I've seen this change in United, Air Canada, AA and Virgin.
    Last edited by willtron; 2017-01-26 at 03:26 PM.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    Power banks are you friend. But they are a pain in the ass to lug around I'll admit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Eehhh, Air Canada. Same company now.

Kinda like how I still refer to Southwest airlines in the states, even though they were bought out by... United?
    2001 dude. If you haven't gotten the memo after 16 years then that is scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Kantalope View Post
    Most airlines with the streaming services also have power outlets at the seat or a USB header built into the screen unit.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

How is any of this a problem?

Delta already has a similar system. Their planes that don't have seat-back screens have Wi-Fi you can connect to with your smart device and allow you to stream - for free - any of the TV or movie content they would have available in jets with screens.

It makes a ton of sense from a business perspective. It cuts costs on screens that 1) add weight to a jet, increasing the cost for fuel, 2) have an up-front cost that can be avoided entirely, 3) have overhead associated with their repair and maintenance.

Why do all of that when you can install a much smaller and less expensive WiFi system that allows people to use their own devices - which everyone has these days - to watch what they want?

This is a zero issue.
    "Lack of information on your part does not constitute bias on mine."