Page 1 of 11
... LastLast
    Deleted

Trump executive order prompts Google to recall staff

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-38781420

Google has recalled travelling staff members to the US after an executive order from President Donald Trump restricting entry for nationals of seven Muslim-majority countries.

Syrian refugees are banned from entry until further notice, the order says.

Nationals of six further countries, including Iran and Iraq, will be banned from entering the US for 90 days

The entire US refugee admissions programme is suspended for 120 days, and a lower cap on numbers introduced.

On Saturday several Iraqi passengers and a Yemeni national were prevented from boarding a flight at Cairo airport bound for New York, despite holding valid visas for the US.

The American Civil Liberties Union says it has filed a suit challenging the executive order. The Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) also says it will file a lawsuit.

Google has told the BBC it is concerned about the order and any measures which could block great talent from the US.

The new restrictions will have a major impact on technology companies that hire skilled staff from all over the world on special H1-B visas.

There have been reports that "green card" holders, who are legal permanent residents of the US, being prevented from getting on flights. However, green cards are not specifically mentioned in the executive order, and so the status of green card holders remains unclear.
    More in link

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    I guess I don't know enough about the Executive order and how wide it is. It seems like some places are over reaching their bounds be denying legit Visa and Green card holders entry. It was my understanding this was supposed to be for any new people, not so much existing. I'm fine with the extreme vetting of the new, not so much if they are already achieved some level of citizenship.

Hire more Americans?

Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Hire more Americans?
    Too expensive. Better to have Americans train their cheaper replacements and claim no Americans want those jobs.

If companies can't get their H1B visas for foreign employees, some of them will move to Canada maybe. The guy on the radio said Vancouver but Vancouver rents are crazy, almost as bad as SF.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    They're a technology company. They don't need to import people into the US to work. Skype and VTCs are still prominently available.
    Eh. Depends on the positions. There are a lot of software companies that have had bad experiences with this sort of outsourcing. It's one thing to bring people into the US on visas where they can work in software (or hardware) development and be intertwined with the company's culture and leadership to get good results. It's another altogether to try to make this work overseas, across time zones and language barriers.

10+ Year Old Account
    They're a technology company. They don't need to import people into the US to work. Skype and VTCs are still prominently available.
    "Hi, you're too muslim to get into the country, but please do work for us via skype"

*middle finger*

If you have a green card or a valid visa, you should be allowed to enter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    I guess I don't know enough about the Executive order and how wide it is. It seems like some places are over reaching their bounds be denying legit Visa and Green card holders entry. It was my understanding this was supposed to be for any new people, not so much existing. I'm fine with the extreme vetting of the new, not so much if they are already achieved some level of citizenship.
    It doesn't apply to people already here. Businesses aren't hiring people from Syria and Iraq to come work for them.
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-us...-idUSKBN15C0KX

"It will bar green card holders," Gillian Christensen, acting Department of Homeland Security spokeswoman, said in an email.

I feel like:

On Saturday several Iraqi passengers and a Yemeni national were prevented from boarding a flight at Cairo airport bound for New York, despite holding valid visas for the US.
    Is being skipped over a little.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    I feel like:

Is being skipped over a little.
    I'm sure some of the usual suspects cheer at that, and praise Trump on how he saved people from those "terrorists".
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

15+ Year Old Account
    This is so mindbogglingly stupid, it's unbelievable and why should Google hire based on nationality rather than merits through talents and skills? This argument isn't better than hiring someone based his/her gender.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmelded View Post
    Well, in that case, that's a shame. Maybe I shouldn't be but kinda surprised it's that far reaching. But I trust the courts will strike it down.

10+ Year Old Account
    Skype is essentially Computer Cancer, and distance communication is actually a really inefficient way to work anyways, especially in a group setting.

Plus, that's a piss poor excuse for banning a certain denomination from entering a country.

Also, Off-Topic, but is it OK now to call Trump racist? Like, he's shown he doesn't understand the problem, and just wants to get rid of the brown people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Skype is essentially Computer Cancer, and distance communication is actually a really inefficient way to work anyways, especially in a group setting.

Plus, that's a piss poor excuse for banning a certain denomination from entering a country.

Also, Off-Topic, but is it OK now to call Trump racist? Like, he's shown he doesn't understand the problem, and just wants to get rid of the brown people.
    No, it's not. Why do you believe your take on the issue is more accurate than his? I don't necessarily agree with him on this topic, and I have my reservations, but to me, it seems as though people want to add psychological barriers to issues where there are none.

Blocking refugees is an issue. Claiming that you cannot communicate with your teams cross-border isn't. That's poor communication and even more fallacious coming from google.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

You can't call him racist because he didn't ban brown people he is still making money off (Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Afghanistan). Apparently money ranks higher on the list than his hatred of Muslims.

Do you think Syrians are brown?

Technology companies seek qualified employees. They found them in applicants from other countries. Said applicants were given Visas or Greencards through the proper channels and have, by now, homes and families in the US. It would be one thing if this was about hiring people from abroad right now that got stopped, but this is about people trying to return to the country that they have their residence/work/life in. So no, it has nothing to do with importing people, it is just political posturing that harms people that Trump's voters consider 'negligible'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Do you think Syrians are brown?
    Browner than 99.9% of his WH picks. Carson offsets the .1%.

Let's not argue that Syria is the only country on his ban either, eh? You're more intelligent than that.
    Let's address the fact that of all foreign born U.S. Terrorist, the large majority come from countries other than the ones he banned. Or they're U.S. born.

10+ Year Old Account
    Browner than 99.9% of his WH picks. Carson offsets the .1%.

Let's not argue that Syria is the only country on his ban either, eh? You're more intelligent than that.
    Let's address the fact that of all foreign born U.S. Terrorist, the large majority come from countries other than the ones he banned. Or they're U.S. born.
    How about the fact that those helping US troops, from interpreters to informants are also banned entry. We just shit on people in those countries that have been helping us at the risk of their own lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...-betrayal.html
    http://www.military.com/daily-news/2...y-into-us.html
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi