Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by quras View Post
    But no. Not a Muslim ban because the net is not nearly broad enough to be considered that given how many it does not affect vs those that are.
    It's a ban on Muslim countries, which gives priority to Christians. Trump said so himself.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donal...ry?id=45099271

Donald Trump campaigned on the promise to cut down or stop the number of refugees entering the country, but he has now said that persecuted Christians will be treated as priorities.

During an interview with the Christian Broadcasting Network, the president said today that Christians in Syria have been treated unfairly in the refugee process.

"They’ve been horribly treated. Do you know if you were a Christian in Syria it was impossible, at least very tough to get into the United States? If you were a Muslim you could come in, but if you were a Christian, it was almost impossible and the reason that was so unfair, everybody was persecuted in all fairness, but they were chopping off the heads of everybody but more so the Christians. And I thought it was very, very unfair. So we are going to help them," Trump said in a clip of the interview that was released this afternoon.

In the remarks released by CBN in advance of the full interview airing on Sunday, Trump did not give any examples or cite evidence to support his claim that it is more difficult for Syrian Christians to gain refugee status than Syrian Muslims.

EDITOR'S NOTE: That's because what Trump said is factually false. As gone into detail here and here, the proportion of refugees let into the US that are Christian is actually disproportionately high -- 50/50 by some accountings.

According to the CIA World Factbook, as of June 2014, 87 percent of Syrians were Muslim while 10 percent were Christian.

And likewise, there were more Muslim refugees from Syria who came to the United States last year than Christian refugees.

The Refugee Processing Center reports that in 2016, there were 15,302 Muslims who arrived in the U.S. from Syria and there were 93 people, also from Syria, who identified as either Catholic, Christian, Protestant or Jehovah's Witness.

"The Middle East is a region of extraordinary ethnic and religious diversity," said Chris Boian, the senior communications officer of the U.N. Refugee Agency, UNHCR.

"UNHCR believes that any human being that has been forced to flee his or her homeland to escape life-threatening conflict and persecution should receive equal treatment for protection and assistance regardless of their religion, nationality or race," he told ABC News.

---------------------

I fail to see the difference between

"This is a Muslim ban"

and

"This is a ban for everyone, but we'll let in the people who aren't Muslim."

I think the difference is that when you say "this is not a Muslim ban" you are saying "this is not comprehensive Muslim ban". And that part is true. It is a selective Muslim ban, which in turn, is still a Muslim ban, in much the same way that blocking all convertibles from Italy and Germany is still a convertible ban. It is still a religious test to enter the US, and most importantly, it is still Trump closing our doors to people fleeing from their lives due to a problem Trump says the United States created.

I'm reminded of a Lincoln quote that seems relevant amidst all the othering and scapegoating of immigrants on the part of Republicans:

“Our progress in degeneracy appears to me to be pretty rapid. As a nation, we began by declaring that 'all men are created equal.' We now practically read it, 'all men are created equal, except negroes.' When the Know-Nothings get control, it will read, 'all men are created equal, except negroes, and foreigners, and Catholics.' When it comes to this I should prefer emigrating to some country where they make no pretense of loving liberty—to Russia, for instance, where despotism can be taken pure, and without the base alloy of hypocrisy.”

― Abraham Lincoln, Speeches and Writings, 1832-1858, P.247

I guess by Lincoln's view, his own party have evolved into the "Know-Nothings" he spoke of. Lincoln, almost lost the civil war, was only a bartender before becoming President. Low energy. Sad.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by InventiveMeasures View Post
    "The federal court for the Eastern District of New York has issued an emergency stay halting President Trump's executive order banning immigrants from seven Muslim-majority countries from entering the U.S, The Verge reported Saturday night.

The court ruled on a habeas corpus petition filed by the ACLU on behalf of two Iraqi men who were detained at John F. Kennedy International Airport on Friday after Trump's ban.

Since then both men, Hameed Khalid Darweesh and Sameer Abdulkhaleq Alshaw, have reportedly been granted entry to the U.S.

Dale Ho, director of the ACLU's Voting Rights Project, tweeted:

'We won' ; 'Stay is national'

Trump's order handed down Friday bars Syrian refugees indefinitely and halts the resettlement of all refugees for four months for the administration to review the vetting process.

Admission will resume only after vetting has been deemed "adequate" by the secretary of State, the secretary of Homeland Security and Director of National Intelligence.

The order also denies entry for 90 days for individuals from seven predominantly Muslims countries: Iraq, Iran, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Libya and Yemen."

Source: The Hill

I fully expect Donald Trump to go on Twitter to talk about the judge by Monday.
    Sad news indeed

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It's a ban on Muslim countries, which gives priority to Christians. Trump said so himself.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/donal...ry?id=45099271

Donald Trump campaigned on the promise to cut down or stop the number of refugees entering the country, but he has now said that persecuted Christians will be treated as priorities.
    Yeah because the good old Christians all have a good time over there

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/eu...own-overboard/

Chritianity now is the most persecuted religion world wide. I don't mean "take away your visa so you can't go on holiday to USA" persecuted, I mean "burn down their churches and kill them" persecuted.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Actually the story I saw is Assad likes Christians because they're meek. Take that for what it's worth.

Chritianity now is the most persecuted religion world wide.
    More than Jews? Citation needed.

10+ Year Old Account

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/04/16/eu...own-overboard/

Chritianity now is the most persecuted religion world wide. I don't mean "take away your visa so you can't go on holiday to USA" persecuted, I mean "burn down their churches and kill them" persecuted.
    Don't smear Christians as if they support this:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/29/u...ants.html?_r=0
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post

Here's some 7 mins of logic. (Inb4 John Green leftist cuck yada yada)
    Fantastic fantastic YES YES YES. 1000x YES