Page 9 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    They put out a little teaser, and a trailer is supposed to air 'tomorrow'. Looking forward to this!

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    They put out a little teaser, and a trailer is supposed to air 'tomorrow'. Looking forward to this!
    Yeah trailer hitting soon. They did a little tease with Timothee quoting fear is the mind killer.

I am hype
    Comes a time when we all gotta die...even kings.

10+ Year Old Account

Looks pretty damn good. I have total faith in Denis Villeneuve. The guy has been on one hell of a run.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post

Looks pretty damn good. I have total faith in Denis Villeneuve. The guy has been on one hell of a run.
    Damn. The worms look... weird... probably because I expected it with three 'jaws'. But other than that... DAMN. Gimme now!

Edit: they haven't commited to a release date. Curious.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2020-09-09 at 04:57 PM.

Part of me wishes it's a horrible flop so they'll give up any future adaptations of Herbert's work for at least a couple decades. Even at my most optimistic, I doubt it'll have any of the depth of the book and will simply skim over any deeper themes in favor of epic action scenes of Fremen versus Sardaukar that your average movie going rube will love to eat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Liftbrul View Post
    Part of me wishes it's a horrible flop so they'll give up any future adaptations of Herbert's work for at least a couple decades. Even at my most optimistic, I doubt it'll have any of the depth of the book and will simply skim over any deeper themes in favor of epic action scenes of Fremen versus Sardaukar that your average movie going rube will love to eat up.
    To be honest, I’m expecting another Bladerunner 2049 situation and with corona virus added on top, you may get your wish.

Villeneuve isn't really the 'sacrifice story for action' kind of guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn. The worms look... weird... probably because I expected it with three 'jaws'. But other than that... DAMN. Gimme now!

Edit: they haven't commited to a release date. Curious.
    Dec. 18th I believe. Unless they changed it.
    Well he is adapting the first book into two movies saying "The world is too complex. It's a world that takes its power in details.." This one will only cover the first half of the book. Will it have the same level of depth as the books? Most likely not, but he isn't approaching this as a simple cash grab based on a known franchise either.

He is also making a spin-off prequel series for HBO Max about the Bene Gesserit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    I have total faith in Denis Villeneuve.
    He does look anything like Muad'Dib... Not MY Muad'Dib, anyway..

When I read the books, some 25-30 years ago, I didn't really have a face for him, but Kyle MacLakkelakkelak, was a really good face for me to put on him... Now, this youngster, is just all kinds of wrong...

I cannot comment on his performance, as this is the first I ever hear of him..
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post

When I read the books, some 25-30 years ago, I didn't really have a face for him, but Kyle MacLakkelakkelak, was a really good face for me to put on him... Now, this youngster, is just all kinds of wrong...

I think they look rather similar, actually. Chalamet looks like he's the right age... but then again, I haven't been a big fan of the 84 movie. I'm happy we didn't get some action hero type, to be honest...

Just recently watched the Lynch-Dune, and to be honest it aged very badly. The acting and directing really isn't good in any way, especially Sting is a special kind of bad. I abolutely trust Villeneuve on capturing the essence of Dune and putting it into an adequate costume.

I mean, it looks okay, but it does seem in danger of running into the usual mainstream SF trap of effects > storytelling. I don't want to watch 30 minutes of choreographed bullet-timey slaughter scenes. That's not what Dune is about. Whether or not the movie really will have that problem or deal with it more elegantly remains to be seen I guess.

I'll have to watch it for professional reasons anyway - part of a class I'm teaching this semester deals with adaptations of literary works and I'll have everyone watch the Lynch Dune movie and then this one when it comes out (though it'll be released a bit late to be discussed in class, what a shame).

Ugh the trailer looks amazing and the cast is stacked.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I mean, it looks okay, but it does seem in danger of running into the usual mainstream SF trap of effects > storytelling. I don't want to watch 30 minutes of choreographed bullet-timey slaughter scenes. That's not what Dune is about. Whether or not the movie really will have that problem or deal with it more elegantly remains to be seen I guess.

I'll have to watch it for professional reasons anyway - part of a class I'm teaching this semester deals with adaptations of literary works and I'll have everyone watch the Lynch Dune movie and then this one when it comes out (though it'll be released a bit late to be discussed in class, what a shame).
    If you have to watch it for professional reasons please get clued up on the director. If you think he puts special effects before story telling you don't know a single thing about the man
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

I think they look rather similar, actually. Chalamet looks like he's the right age... but then again, I haven't been a big fan of the 84 movie. I'm happy we didn't get some action hero type, to be honest...
    For me, he just needed a hair cut, but it won't affect the movie for me.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    If you have to watch it for professional reasons please get clued up on the director. If you think he puts special effects before story telling you don't know a single thing about the man
    I don't put a lot of stock in that kind of thinking. Directors don't have full creative freedom in mainstream productions like this one, it's naive to think they do. He may have a particular style, but how well he gets to express that is a very different question. And even if one can expect a particular director to be more likely to do something, that by no means guarantees it. I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. I was cautiously optimistic about Arrival and the Blade Runner sequel, too, and didn't like either of them.

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    I don't put a lot of stock in that kind of thinking. Directors don't have full creative freedom in mainstream productions like this one, it's naive to think they do. He may have a particular style, but how well he gets to express that is a very different question. And even if one can expect a particular director to be more likely to do something, that by no means guarantees it. I'm CAUTIOUSLY optimistic. I was cautiously optimistic about Arrival and the Blade Runner sequel, too, and didn't like either of them.
    I'm sure he will have notes from studio heads he has to listen too. But I doubt it's "more lenz flare! Make aquaman say my man!"

What about prisoners? Seen that? And I'm surprised you think he would have zack synder slo mo scenes after watching arrival and blade runner 2049
    Suri Cruise and Katie Holmes are SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    And I'm surprised you think he would have zack synder slo mo scenes after watching arrival and blade runner 2049
    I'm going purely off the trailer, and obviously there was hyperbole in my reaction. But the last few years have not been kind to mainstream SF. Hence my caution. I'm ready to be positively surprised, I just don't expect it any more. Maybe it's too cynical a view, but it is what it is.

10+ Year Old Account

Paul Atreides is about 14 or 16 years old in the book. This "youngster" looks the right age.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

"this youngster", Paul was only 15 and described as "small for his age"