Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Screw that, fuck theaters. Old practice that needs to die in a fire.
    I like the appeal of social environment where people gather to watch performances...

So you want theater to die as well?

Though, I am against the fact that popcorn and a fucking soda costs 10$. I like a nice balance between streaming and to the theater. Not a single marvel movie needs to be in the theater... they are the same transformer movie copy pasted.

I felt this new version of Dune was a very good movie. I felt that the David Lynch extended version was slightly better. I liked the cast in the David Lynch version slightly more but this new version has a very good cast. The atmosphere in both movies was great. The music in both of them was great. I liked the Harkonen's in David Lynch's version more. I know the spacing guild navigator scene was not in the book but I really liked the addition of it in David Lynch's version of the movie. I liked in the newer version of Dune that Paul Atrides felt concerned and reluctant about starting a neverending Jihad with the freman. Paul Atrides in David Lynch's version never showed that struggle. He was more concerned with avenging his father against the Harkonen and the emperor. I felt the gum Jabar scene along with pauls visions was better in David Lynch's version of the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post
    I like the appeal of social environment where people gather to watch performances...

Though, I am against the fact that popcorn and a fucking soda costs 10$. I like a nice balance between streaming and to the theater. Not a single marvel movie needs to be in the theater... they are the same transformer movie copy pasted.
    Well, to some degree the experience has gotten worse over the decades(outside of the places with the huge chairs and food/beer). I started going to theaters in the 80's and generally stopped about 10-15 years ago(outside of mcu movies for a while) because overall I just don't find it enjoyable. Between the price of food/drinks, the insane amount of time from when a movie is listed to start and all the previews and other crap gets done and the movie actually starts and also how loud some of these theaters can be I can't say I prefer watching many of these in a theater compared to having a decent size tv with sound system. This doesn't mean I want theater to die too. I'm just saying that if movie theaters in general died off I wouldn't really care. Honestly, the number of movies I look forward to watching every year has been dwindling as well over the last 10+ years. It's gotten to where there's only 1-2 a year I am really looking forward to seeing.
    Last edited by Berndorf; 2021-10-20 at 04:43 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    U don't like theaters cuz of good sound systems lol?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skayth View Post

It's pretty clear I'm talking about movies not plays. 2 very different experiences.

I would be fine if they released on both at the same time. I personally hate the movie theater experience. So I then have to wait for the movie to release to dvd/streaming. More often than not I end up pirating the movie instead of waiting.

It's their lose not mine.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    U don't like theaters cuz of good sound systems lol?
    loud =/= good
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Well, to some degree the experience has gotten worse over the decades(outside of the places with the huge chairs and food/beer). I started going to theaters in the 80's and generally stopped about 10-15 years ago(outside of mcu movies for a while) because overall I just don't find it enjoyable. Between the price of food/drinks, the insane amount of time from when a movie is listed to start and all the previews and other crap gets done and the movie actually starts and also how loud some of these theaters can be I can't say I prefer watching many of these in a theater compared to having a decent size tv with sound system. This doesn't mean I want theater to die too. I'm just saying that if movie theaters in general died off I wouldn't really care. Honestly, the number of movies I look forward to watching every year has been dwindling as well over the last 10+ years. It's gotten to where there's only 1-2 a year I am really looking forward to seeing.
    I felt the same until my local place opened a VIP lounge in 2015 or 16, which made it worth going again (we used to go pretty regularly before Covid). For £15 (around $20) you get a seat in a small 20 seat theatre, with comfy reclining seats and plenty of legroom. The price also included's a drink, popcorn, ice cream and a chocolate bar, so pretty good value for a far better experience than a regular seat that was £7 IIRC. Post Covid they have dropped the prices to try and get people back, it is currently £5 for a regular ticket and £10 for VIP. The only real downside with it is with only having 20 seats you have to book well in advance for blockbuster movies if you want to see it at release or soon after.

I think if cinemas are going to survive in the long term they need to make it a more pleasant and special way of watching a movie than it used to be, and not leaving you feeling that you have been ripped off with overpriced drinks and popcorn!
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

5+ Year Old Account
    Supposed to come out this friday...but I dunno anymore, there are books from march that are still not out, n some came out in the usa n never made it to europe..n some are delayed af..

The Art and Soul of Dune Book Trailer

Nerdist
    Oct 19, 2021

The Art and Soul of Dune author and Dune executive producer Tanya LaPointe shows off the gorgeous new book as well as some behind-the-scenes memories.
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-20 at 06:31 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    WarnerMedia Toppers Bullish On ‘Dune’ Sequel & More ‘Sopranos’ & ‘Matrix’ Despite Muted Box Office Results In HBO Max Day/Date Experiment

https://deadline.com/2021/10/dune-ma...ec19081108a870
    By Anthony D'Alessandro - October 21, 2021 3:45am

“Will we have a sequel to Dune? If you watch the movie you see how it ends. I think you pretty much know the answer to that,” WarnerMedia Studios and Networks Chair and CEO Ann Sarnoff told Deadline yesterday in a sit-down chat regarding the conglom’s full support of Dune 2. That will be welcome news to Legendary (which put up most of the budget) and filmmaker Denis Villeuneve, who has set the table for a second film that focuses on Zendaya’s Chani character as much as Timothee Chalamet’s Paul Atreidis character was the central focus in the first film. There has been some question, but not if you’ve seen Dune on a big screen. The last franchise launch with that much creative ambition and sequel potential was The Fellowship of the Rings.

In regards to proceeding with sequels to this year’s theatrical HBO Max slate, WarnerMedia CEO Jason Kilar says the studio’s “decisions are well informed and based on audience response, not just based on box office.” In regards to how the streaming obsessed studio actually monetizes their investments on these big budget films in its pivot from a traditional downstream ancillary business formula, Kilar pointed to the overall macro success of WarnerMedia, i.e. how Q2 revenues spiked 31% to $8.8 billion. An exceptional feat in his opinion as that’s “hard for a 98 year old company”.

That is great news!
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

It was alright. Very engaging and beautifully shot.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Industrial heart of the USSR... now torn apart
    Another Deadline article says Dune is projected to have 30-32 million USD opening weekend, and probably more in China, plus there are also other countries like UK, seems like a good sign financially, am I calculating this correctly? Won't make a billion but more than $400 million total in cinema? Not counting HBO MAX?

P.S. Actually if WarnerMedia bosses are already "bullish", there's no need to worry and we'll see the Part 2, let's hope there's news soon
    Last edited by Cynep; 2021-10-22 at 09:02 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobleshield View Post
    It's not 2004. People have lives, jobs, families etc

5+ Year Old Account

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If I had never read the book before watching this. IT would have been a great movie. Having read the book, The sci fi version was more close to the source than this. Visually it is great, but they made changes that impact parts of the story for no reason that I can see. I mean I know some stuff needs to changed to fit movies but this stuff didn't need to be.

Chani was NEVER cold to Paul like she was right before the fight with Jamus. Speaking of which why cut out her tips on fighting him? It's the whole reason he caught the change of hands to win the fight.

There is more, but that is one change that really stuck out and makes no sense.
    Last edited by Orange Joe; 2021-10-23 at 01:29 AM.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

it was good but why didnt the sand people do the sand walk in any visions or ever?

might have been better as a series, is the series i saw advertised last year or so a companion or separate?

5+ Year Old Account
    what series? the sisterhood?

Decent movie, nothing super special. For a long (ish) movie with supposedly another part still to come, that first half hour felt a little rushed and the dialogue was very clunky. It picked up, it got better, it became more enjoyable by the end. But man... am I beyond bored with these obnoxious Hans Zimmer soundtracks. Please, anyone but Hans bloody Zimmer. It was easily the worst component of the movie and it gets docked a couple of points because of it.

If I had never read the book before watching this. IT would have been a great movie. Having read the book, The sci fi version was more close to the source than this. Visually it is great, but they made changes that impact parts of the story for no reason that I can see. I mean I know some stuff needs to changed to fit movies but this stuff didn't need to be.

Chani was NEVER cold to Paul like she was right before the fight with Jamus. Speaking of which why cut out her tips on fighting him? It's the whole reason he caught the change of hands to win the fight.

There more. but that is one change that really stuck out and makes no sense.
    The sci-fi version was good at making a movie that was closer to the book but I hated the actors in it except William Hurt. The guy that played Paul was annoying and the guy who played the baron harkonen.

There is more, but that is one change that really stuck out and makes no sense.
    Yeh I feel the exact same way. Good movie, maybe even great if you've never read the book. I also didn't like how emotional Jessica was, the Bene Gesserit are masters of emotional control, and she seemed very, very human. I couldn't even tell she was BG, except the movie said she was. Didn't like how they did Duncan either. The choice of character just didn't work for me. Only complaint about Liet Kynes is she didn't get enough screen time and elaborate more on her father, and how she is basically the de facto "leader" of the Fremen. I don't remember if it elaborates in the film that her father is the one who started the Fremen on their path, I think a lot of that information was given during the dinner scene (in the book only) and while she is dying, but was internal monologue and memories. They changed her death in the movie so eh.

These are pretty minor things though, I mean you can only fit so much into a movie, and I think they included all the most important bits of the story. It's just the little tidbits that makes IMO a book 9 times out of 10, a better experience.

I wonder how far they'll take it, doubt we'll get to see The God Emperor.
    Last edited by Schmittay; 2021-10-23 at 02:13 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved it. I can't wait for Part 2.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

The score for this film was something else too.

From a technical POV, this was really spectacularly made. The DP outdid himself.