Page 21 of 61 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I saw on Reddit someone say that this movie was like binge-watching the first three episodes of a new series on a streaming service and the third episode ends just as things start to get good but you gotta wait for episode 4 because they didn't all drop at once.

Quote Originally Posted by Relikk View Post
    Decent movie, nothing super special. For a long (ish) movie with supposedly another part still to come, that first half hour felt a little rushed and the dialogue was very clunky. It picked up, it got better, it became more enjoyable by the end. But man... am I beyond bored with these obnoxious Hans Zimmer soundtracks. Please, anyone but Hans bloody Zimmer. It was easily the worst component of the movie and it gets docked a couple of points because of it.
    I agree on the soundtrack. Most of the time I barely noticed it was there and didn't feel like it added much to any scene. Maybe I need to watch again to see if I missed something with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Yeh I feel the exact same way. Good movie, maybe even great if you've never read the book. I also didn't like how emotional Jessica was, the Bene Gesserit are masters of emotional control, and she seemed very, very human. I couldn't even tell she was BG, except the movie said she was. Didn't like how they did Duncan either. The choice of character just didn't work for me. Only complaint about Liet Kynes is she didn't get enough screen time and elaborate more on her father, and how she is basically the de facto "leader" of the Fremen. I don't remember if it elaborates in the film that her father is the one who started the Fremen on their path, I think a lot of that information was given during the dinner scene (in the book only) and while she is dying, but was internal monologue and memories. They changed her death in the movie so eh.

These are pretty minor things though, I mean you can only fit so much into a movie, and I think they included all the most important bits of the story. It's just the little tidbits that makes IMO a book 9 times out of 10, a better experience.

I wonder how far they'll take it, doubt we'll get to see The God Emperor.
    At this point its not even a given we finish the first book. Overall I felt like Rebecca as Jessica was ok. I didn't really feel like overly emotional but just not fully in command of herself in the way a BG should be but then again she's not a full reverend mother yet and is supposed to be different in the books due to allowing herself to love her mate which is what leads to her giving him a son. So she's not meant to be a standard BG either. DV took a lot of choices which sort of slimmed down the plot but which also allows it to focus more on Paul which is probably a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    what series? the sisterhood?
    Im sure there was a series last year, I could well be wrong.

Edit

Just found it on my prime, it's called children of dune, from 2003. I only watched fifteen minutes of it, i must have just found it late and assumed it was new
    Last edited by molliewoof; 2021-10-23 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugarcube View Post
    i'd rather not pay to have people whine at me... better to just watch movies at home...
    Back row on an off night. Opening weekend is for suckers.

Its how I watched Shang Chi, Suicide Squad and No Time To Die. It helps the local theatre has nice reclining seats.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    I agree on the soundtrack. Most of the time I barely noticed it was there and didn't feel like it added much to any scene. Maybe I need to watch again to see if I missed something with it.

- - - Updated - - -

At this point its not even a given we finish the first book. Overall I felt like Rebecca as Jessica was ok. I didn't really feel like overly emotional but just not fully in command of herself in the way a BG should be but then again she's not a full reverend mother yet and is supposed to be different in the books due to allowing herself to love her mate which is what leads to her giving him a son. So she's not meant to be a standard BG either. DV took a lot of choices which sort of slimmed down the plot but which also allows it to focus more on Paul which is probably a good thing.
    Paul isn't even the hero or main character of the series.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    he is for the part which denis films will be based on

10+ Year Old Account
    he is for the part which denis films will be based on
    Depends, if they do the full trilogy with Messiah and Children then the true main character is yet to appear.

Also following what @Fencers said, it's a beautiful score but .. there's no real memorable piece for me or tune I find myself humming. Whereas as awful as the Lynch film was, the Toto soundtrack was something else entirely, I expect one day someone will do a mashup of the 2021 film with the Toto soundtrack, not sure it'll work as the two films are so far apart in terms of style and execution, but I'd love to see it.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

5+ Year Old Account
    to me the soundtrack was for the movie, not to listen to outside the film, as it should be...

This movie was boring AF and I regret paying to see this shit. The movie builds up for something and then ends when it feels like shit is about to go down.
    It's beautifully filmed and stuff, but other than that it sucked. Hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    I've read all the books more than once. Paul is definitely the main character of the first two books so I'm not sure what your point is. There is no single main character of all the books.

Coming to mmo-champion to see the hardcore pessimists shit on a masterpiece. Just that a few of you losers actually liked it is astounding to me. It must be a rough life to hate everything and be miserable. Sad.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've read all the books more than once. Paul is definitely the main character of the first two books so I'm not sure what your point is. There is no single main character of all the books.
    If you count all of the books from start to end you could argue the villain is the overarching character of everything. But of the Herbert books, it's always been Leto. Even before he was born, his existence is spoken of and purpose talked about.

- - - Updated - - -

to me the soundtrack was for the movie, not to listen to outside the film, as it should be...
    It certainly compliments the film, but you think of some of the most memorable soundtracks of all time and they still have at least one tune that you find yourself humming after you've seen it. Hans Zimmer has been responsible for his fair share of those over time, but here.. there wasn't one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    If you count all of the books from start to end you could argue the villain is the overarching character of everything. But of the Herbert books, it's always been Leto. Even before he was born, his existence is spoken of and purpose talked about.

- - - Updated - - -

It certainly compliments the film, but you think of some of the most memorable soundtracks of all time and they still have at least one tune that you find yourself humming after you've seen it. Hans Zimmer has been responsible for his fair share of those over time, but here.. there wasn't one.

its Duncan Idaho at the last two books or his ghola at any rate.

- - - Updated - - -

If you them individually yes but by the end its Duncan Idaho because he's constantly being resurrected as a ghola. Even the ones written by his kid and the star wars book guy ends up with Duncan Idaho as the true kwisatz haderach.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie is available online now for those who doesn't want to go to a cinema for whatever reason.
    Hi

7+ Year Old Account
    Solid production, acting, and scenery..... but, what a shallow interpretation of the book. I was kind of bored throughout waiting for things to "kick in". Never happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    its Duncan Idaho at the last two books or his ghola at any rate.

- - - Updated - - -

If you them individually yes but by the end its Duncan Idaho because he's constantly being resurrected as a ghola. Even the ones written by his kid and the star wars book guy ends up with Duncan Idaho as the true kwisatz haderach.
    If you count his son's books then I'd say the overarching character is Omnius.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    If you count his son's books then I'd say the overarching character is Omnius.
    Or Erasmus since he's largely responsible for the butlerheiran jihad, the face dancers, the mentats, the honored mates etc etx. Its pretty clear by God emperor that Duncan is gonna the one. I can't remember if his ghola shows up in messiah. Iirc scytale resurrects him in Messiah I think. because Susan Sarandon wants a weapon against Paul.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Spoilers tag needed for the above.
    *sigh* my suspicion is that those books will never get made into movies and if you haven't read the books by ow well too bad.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2021-10-23 at 07:48 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes there is.

Duncan Idaho is in every book and is the main hero in the end.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Schmittay View Post
    Yeh I feel the exact same way. Good movie, maybe even great if you've never read the book. I also didn't like how emotional Jessica was, the Bene Gesserit are masters of emotional control, and she seemed very, very human. I couldn't even tell she was BG, except the movie said she was.
    I wasn't sure about Jessica early on either, but in reflection I think at the start of the movie she was portrayed as a loved wife and mother, she hadn't been prepared at all for the chance of her falling in love with Leto, it was just supposed to just be a political arrangement and a way to modify bloodlines. But with Leto being a decent man and feeling the same way about Jessica she decided to go against orders and give him a son.

When the Reverend Mother turned up to test Paul she was genuinely scared that he would be killed, it appeared her training didn't help her at all in dealing with that type of anxiety and maybe even guilt for not following orders. Later on in the film we got to see the pure BG side though.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Wealth inequality is here to stay, sometimes it's just how lifes cookie crumbles and all of society is better off for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    But from what I can see it is quite probable Æthelstan was the first Brexiteer, likely the Farage of his age seeing off the European continentals in the very first successful Brexit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Or Erasmus since he's largely responsible for the butlerheiran jihad, the face dancers, the mentats, the honored mates etc etx. Its pretty clear by God emperor that Duncan is gonna the one. I can't remember if his ghola shows up in messiah. Iirc scytale resurrects him in Messiah I think. because Susan Sarandon wants a weapon against Paul.

It is at the end of Messiah. He's a gift by Scytale to Paul after Chani's death at the birth of the twins, as an example of how they could bring Chani back, but his ulterior motive is not beyond Paul's logic. Then Paul sees without sight and murders the Tleilaxu when he holds a knife over the children when Paul doesn't take his bait.

Then Stilgar slays him in Children starting the war against Alia when he breaks the sanctity of the sietch.