Page 23 of 60 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    5+ Year Old Account
    Very good reviews about the music however movie is kinda average. I’m sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Depends, if they do the full trilogy with Messiah and Children then the true main character is yet to appear.
    Paul is certainly the main character in the first two books. Leto is the main character in the third and fourth.

5+ Year Old Account
    Dune 2 Announced By Legendary For October 2023 - "We're Excited To Continue The Journey"

After making $200 million worldwide, Legendary has announced a sequel.

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/du.../1100-6497390/
    By Eddie Makuch on October 26, 2021 at 11:14AM PDT

The new sci-fi movie Dune got off to a great start in the US, where it made more than $40 million at the box office over its first weekend. Globally, the film has already made more than $223 million. The movie is described as being Part One in the opening title card, and director Denis Villeneuve has been open about his plans for a sequel, but it hasn't been announced--until now.

Legendary has announced a sequel is in the works, following speculation about when the movie might be made official. The movie is scheduled for release in October 2023, according to The Hollywood Reporter. Villenueve is coming back, as is composer Hans Zimmer.

Dune is distributed by Warner Bros., and it's streaming on HBO Max, but the decision about a sequel came down to the co-financier, Legendary Entertainment, according to Variety. Legendary controls the rights to the movie and gets to decide if a sequel is made, the report said.

Variety reported that the sequel announcement might happen "shortly," and now it has. Still, the reason for waiting so long to announce the sequel is unknown.

The first movie's story ends at the halfway point of the novel, so fans are surely excited that a sequel is coming.

Another issue at play is how a sequel might be released. Villeneuve has been critical of the decision to put Dune on HBO Max day-and-date with the theatrical release. He said, "Warner Bros.' decision means Dune won't have the chance to perform financially in order to be viable and piracy will ultimately triumph. Warner Bros. might just have killed the Dune franchise."

Legendary also took issue with WB's decision to bring Dune to HBO Max and threatened legal action. WB and Legendary settled their disagreements, and Legendary received a payment of the amount it would have made at the box office, based on predictions. Additionally, Villeneuve and the stars of Dune got paid "millions" to compensate for what they missed out on for back-end payments related to the film's box office performance, according to Variety.

Dune carried a $165 million production budget, and that doesn't count the movie's massive marketing campaign. A sequel would have a similar budget, the site reported. Another issue at play here is lining up the filming schedules for Dune's top talent; star Timothee Chalamet is currently filming Wonka, for example.

Villeneuve previously talked about how the movie studios agreed from the onset to make Dune into a two-party film. Villeneuve wanted to film the movies back-to-back, but the studio balked, the director said, in part because Villeneuve's Blade Runner 2049 was not a huge box office success.

"I think they were a little cold at the idea of investing in two movies right away. I think that's the truth I understood," he said on the Directors Guild of America podcast (via Collider).

GameSpot's Dune review scored the film a 10/10. "Fans of the series need only know this: Villeneuve's Dune is the best possible adaptation of one of science fiction's most iconic works. It's the one you've awaited for over five decades, or since whatever time you first turned a page in Herbert's seminal novel," Michael Rougeau wrote. "The talented filmmakers and jaw-dropping cast have done it justice. Go see it so that they can tell the rest of the story."

https://twitter.com/Legendary/status...100-6497390%2F
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-26 at 06:21 PM.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    The sci-fi version was good at making a movie that was closer to the book but I hated the actors in it except William Hurt. The guy that played Paul was annoying and the guy who played the baron harkonen.
    While I've not watched this Dune version yet -

The Scifi Version of Dune just confuses the heck out of me. I agree with you and Orange Joe's comments that yes, it was the closest we've gotten to the book plot. But as a lover of Dune - the book series, and the Lynch Movie (for all its craziness I still can't help but love it), and probably Villonova's version too when I see it - the scifi version is the most BORING version too.

And I don't know why I found it so boring. Maybe it was the actors...maybe the pace... how the version that DOES portray the book more accurately - manages to be the most boring one of them all. I could barely finish it. :/ But I still don't quite get /what/ made it so boring heh.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriani View Post
    While I've not watched this Dune version yet -

The Scifi Version of Dune just confuses the heck out of me. I agree with you and Orange Joe's comments that yes, it was the closest we've gotten to the book plot. But as a lover of Dune - the book series, and the Lynch Movie (for all its craziness I still can't help but love it), and probably Villonova's version too when I see it - the scifi version is the most BORING version too.

And I don't know why I found it so boring. Maybe it was the actors...maybe the pace... how the version that DOES portray the book more accurately - manages to be the most boring one of them all. I could barely finish it. :/ But I still don't quite get /what/ made it so boring heh.
    Maybe it's the low scale? It being a TV adaptation had the budget of such a thing, and it feels like it couldn't capture the scale of the Dune universe in a way that properly conveyed the feel of it. This movie certainly succeeded at that.

Yes! It was kinda obvious that this will succeed, especially after seeing it, but still, YESSSS!! Just 2 years away? Hmmm, they might have already started filming before...?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

5+ Year Old Account
    half hour interview of denis, by nolan about dune

Huge mistake to not just film both at the same time. I’m curious how contracts for the stars work, how can they ensure big stars are available for a movie that might not get made?

I thought the movie was pretty decent. It held my attention. Sound and music were top notch. The acting was decently good. It did suffer from the current hollywood hole of trilogies not being very good self contained movies though. It feels like they just had a run time they wanted to hit, waited for the current scene to end, and then just pulled out the scissors and cut the film of a much longer movie. Which I get. Getting this whole story into one movie isn't going to happen. Hell even in a trilogy it won't. But movie just kinda felt snipped at the end that's all. At least in my opinion. Even with that though I feel pretty positive about it over all.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    Huge mistake to not just film both at the same time. I’m curious how contracts for the stars work, how can they ensure big stars are available for a movie that might not get made?
    They didn't get filmed at the same time due to the studio not wanting to commit after BR2049 didn't bring in as much green as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Low Hanging Fruit View Post
    I thought the movie was pretty decent. It held my attention. Sound and music were top notch. The acting was decently good. It did suffer from the current hollywood hole of trilogies not being very good self contained movies though. It feels like they just had a run time they wanted to hit, waited for the current scene to end, and then just pulled out the scissors and cut the film of a much longer movie. Which I get. Getting this whole story into one movie isn't going to happen. Hell even in a trilogy it won't. But movie just kinda felt snipped at the end that's all. At least in my opinion. Even with that though I feel pretty positive about it over all.
    There's a time jump where it cuts. That's actually a pivotal stop point in the story.
    "stop puting you idiotic liberal words into my mouth"
    -ynnady

Quote Originally Posted by Nerraw View Post
    They didn't get filmed at the same time due to the studio not wanting to commit after BR2049 didn't bring in as much green as expected.
    The advantage of not filming together is you can cut bait. The disadvantage is:

1. It’s more expensive to do two separately.
    2. The movies come out further apart.
    3. You just torpedoed your investment in the Dune movie rights.
    4. You anger your audience and directors.

Seems like a bad move to me, only way you win is if it outright bombs… and if you’re really that worried about it bombing, don’t make the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Coniferous View Post
    I thought they already did film all of it but everyone says they did not. They were going to release the movie in December last year and changed their mind. I didn't hear anything about them making two parts until a couple of months ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    Yes! It was kinda obvious that this will succeed, especially after seeing it, but still, YESSSS!! Just 2 years away? Hmmm, they might have already started filming before...?
    Well, Blade Runner 2049 did bomb relative to its budget and that was also a great movie by my reckoning. That may be why the studio didn't have the confidence to give Villeneuve the budget for two parts.

Still, happy that the movie's getting the second half it definitely deserves. 2023 kinda seems soon-ish for a 2h30+ epic but I assume a lot of the pre-production work was done already at least.
    It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built -Kreia

The internet: where to every action is opposed an unequal overreaction.

5+ Year Old Account
    denis hasn't started filming, but he said he was ready to start soon...considering how long he took to get things the way he wanted them, a year just to get the design of the worm right, since he's rdy to start, it would mean he knows how he wants things to be in the 2nd movie, so while he didn't shoot two movies at once, he did the preparation work for both of them in advance.

I trust denis to deliver.

hmm...just saw the baron figure again, where he is in a suit, we never saw that in the film, might be in 2nd movie, or in deleted scenes for 1st movie..
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2021-10-27 at 12:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Well, Blade Runner 2049 did bomb relative to its budget and that was also a great movie by my reckoning. That may be why the studio didn't have the confidence to give Villeneuve the budget for two parts.

Still, happy that the movie's getting the second half it definitely deserves. 2023 kinda seems soon-ish for a 2h30+ epic but I assume a lot of the pre-production work was done already at least.
    Might only be 2 hrs as well. Part 1 went pretty far storywise. I looked it up and in my Dune book it went to page 328 out of 516. Plus I'd think things such as costume and set creation will also go quite a bit faster this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by Berndorf View Post
    Might only be 2 hrs as well. Part 1 went pretty far storywise. I looked it up and in my Dune book it went to page 328 out of 516. Plus I'd think things such as costume and set creation will also go quite a bit faster this time around.
    A lot of stuff was cut to streamline the movie that can be introduced in the 2nd part as it wasn't so relevant for the framing of the story.

Like Feyd Rautha, the Spacing Guild's involvement, the Emperor, perhaps tho unlikely Irulan (there's been rumors that there might even be a 3rd movie coming based on Children of Dune or at least that Villenueve would like to make a 3rd movie, and that's pretty hard to impossible without getting Irulan into the story).

I expect a big chunk of the 2nd movie will be about setting up these new elements, akin to the Caladan bit of the 1st movie.

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    There's a time jump where it cuts. That's actually a pivotal stop point in the story.
    What is and how it feels are two very different things.

Good heavens this was a slog to get through.

I get its this art house audio visual wankfest but I was so deeply bored I had trouble making it to the end.... and what an abrupt nothing of an ending it was.
    The pacing was all over the place and the audio was absolutely terrible. There was so many scenes I needed subtitles because I could absolutely not make out what was being said.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Easo View Post
    While I am SO EXCITE that they have greenlit the 2nd movie (so now I actually want to watch this one) - this is something that makes me go 'umm? Really?'

Only because I read an article out the /day/ before the 2nd movie greenlight was announced that was talking about other commitments some of the key players already have to other projects because they weren't 'for sure' on a sequel yet. I want to say this included Villonova having another movie on the docket but I could definitely be misremembering.

And then to read next day they are saying 2023 already? I think that's more "keeping the hype train going" (giving a date that current moviegoers won't be upset about vs. saying its 5 years away knowing that it will more than likely get pushed later than that) and wishful thinking on the production company's part of the goal they are SHOOTING for. Because unless everyone just cleared all their other commitments - I don't see that date as being all that realistic.

But maybe they did! We can hope for 2023!! <3

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    I thought they already did film all of it but everyone says they did not. They were going to release the movie in December last year and changed their mind. I didn't hear anything about them making two parts until a couple of months ago.
    It was always intended to be a 2 part movie from the Director(and writer or whomever else he's working with high up). Yes, this "first part" was meant to be released already and then they put it off because (covid) they already knew they had to hit $$$ milestones at release to get 2nd part made so they wanted to get it pushed to at least a partial theatrical release to have that chance.

But the Director/writer/etc. have already at least done a beta-version (best term lol) of the movie and script ready to go and had showed it to WB back when they started all of this. They've just had to sit on it until the greenlight was given.

So SOME of it has already been worked on by the Director and he certainly knows exactly what and where he wanted this to go from day one. So its not a 'tacked on afterthought' of a sequel or anything like that. If this movie had been released straight to streaming or hadn't hit the markers they wanted - we would only have had half a story, forever more.

I've seen people throw around 'trilogy' terms but that has never been in "serious" (or 'real') discussion from WB for /this/ Dune (first book) 2 part movie. Even if Villanovo would love to do them/commented on it - there are certainly no released or affirmed plans for anything of the sort. WB does have a Bene Gessuit Sister Prequel SERIES they are working on, but not another movie in the works. At least not yet.

That's just wish-making by us fans - to want a third movie, or any movies, for the rest of the books beyond just the first one. Any "assumption" this is a trilogy of movies, or that there will be any third movie or any third movie the 2nd movie will lead into, is pure assumptive speculation on fans part right now.
    Last edited by Koriani; 2021-10-27 at 06:11 PM.
    Koriani - Guardians of Forever - BM Huntard on TB; Kharmic - Worgen Druid - TB
    Koriani - none - Dragon of Secret World
    Karmic - Moirae - SWTOR
    inactive: Frith-Rae - Horizons/Istaria; Koriani in multiple old MMOs. I been around a long time.