Switching to plate class, just looking for some insight

So I'm looking to switch to a plate class (playing rogue currently) for the sake of equality within my raid group, thinking about ret. Just looking for some insight from skilled Ret players on how it's feeling right now. According to logs it seems to be near the top in heroic but then suddenly dives down in mythic progression, any ideas why that is?
    I'm looking for thoughts on the playstyle. What kind of thinking/skill goes into the rotation, how cd dependent, RNG dependent, legendary dependent is Ret. Also if there is any particularly good resources that I might be missing (high level raider who makes guides?).

Just some general thoughts/comments/complaints on if I might enjoy Ret. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by Uni73 View Post
    So I'm looking to switch to a plate class (playing rogue currently) for the sake of equality within my raid group, thinking about ret. Just looking for some insight from skilled Ret players on how it's feeling right now. According to logs it seems to be near the top in heroic but then suddenly dives down in mythic progression, any ideas why that is?
    I'm looking for thoughts on the playstyle. What kind of thinking/skill goes into the rotation, how cd dependent, RNG dependent, legendary dependent is Ret. Also if there is any particularly good resources that I might be missing (high level raider who makes guides?).

Just some general thoughts/comments/complaints on if I might enjoy Ret. Thanks in advance!

Ret is very flexible single target vs aoe depending on talents . rNG is not an issue, but we are HEAVILY tied to crusade cooldown for the majority of or damage. Another benefit is good survivability with bubble and damage absorb shields.

I don't play ret mainspec but I feel like the rotation is incomplete and feels awful to play. Dunno about numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Uni73 View Post

1) As with most DPS specs, it's more about process and resource management than a set rotation. Ret is all about building and then spending Holy Power in the right way. It's forgivable at the low end but demanding to do "perfectly"

2) As it stands now, a high percentage of our damage is tied up in the Crusade lvl 100 talent, which is more or less mandatory. It is a 2min CD and basically spec defining now. If you mistime your CD, or lose part of it due to raid mechanics (like getting hit with Rot on Nythendra), you lose a lot of damage.

3) There are some abilities that affect holy power generation that have some RNG to them, but in general RNG is less a component than for other classes

4) There are a couple of legendaries that help a lot, but aren't mandatory unless you're cutting edge. They boost damage but you can live without them (where are you cloak?)

Deleted
    Close fight, smell of blood > yea this is just a begining of wonderfull plate classes.

Go warrior or DK. Retribution is not what it should be currently, everything is in our Crusade and we make talent choices for aoe or single target. Our current iteration is a choice of niches, I personally do not enjoy it as much as wod. Also, our new fantasy is a knock off the Arms kit with a lot less complexity.

Deleted
    Between Ret and Arms I clearly advise you to pick Ret. Arms warrior is so dependent on RNG of tactician procs (free CS) it's silly. Plain horrible design.
    No idea about DKs or Fury warrior as I don't play them.

In terms of raw DPS Ret is pretty strong, one of the stronger specs for high end raid dps, but it takes a lot of time and decent gear before you'll see any real damage.

The legendaries are kind of an issue as well, we only have 4 dps legendaries whereas other dps specs have 5, our 5th is a defensive cheat death.

Ret is not mobile at all, but aside from that it has great ST and AoE. What we lack in mobility is made up in defensive CDs, you have the baseline pally abilities ( Lay, Divine Shield, BoP) and a couple Ret specific defensives that make them great emergency tanks.

If you want to just do damage I would recommend Fury warrior, its got good ST and AOE and has very decent mobility which for plate classes is a big deal, the cost of this mobility is they are super squishy with no real defensives. Ret/Frost/Unholy are good but just dont expect to get anywhere quickly.

Dks have a Brez so if you think you might need another one in your raid comp that's a good reason to roll DK. Both Frost and Unholy are good ATM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Give Fury a try. Some don't like the playstyle but I love it. I'm a diehard Ret but I'm playing Fury on the side and am loving it very much. Your talent setups don't need much changing, and they are beastly for burst ST, AoE or cleave and with the set bonuses, trinkets and relic setups from NH, they can be gnarly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakpoth View Post
    I find it unreasonable to ask for other than obvious reasons, when the reason obviously is the obvious reason.
    Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/ch.../dalaran/ryuji

Song that's currently stuck in my head: pretty much anything from Dance With the Dead