Thread: Fury starved

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Fury starved

Started playing a new Havoc Demon Hunter. Only 103 but I feel like there are long gaps where I have nothing to do. Currently, running Felblade, Demon Blades, and Chaos Cleave.

It seems like, quite often if I don't hit a crit that resets felblade I'll find myself sitting there with nothing to do unless I want to start blowing longish cooldowns. Maybe, this is normal, just curious.

Deleted
    IIRC you need 12% haste or 8% + legendary ring and 30% crit if you want to use demon blades. I got my legendary ring the first dungeon I did when I switched from vengeance to havoc and I've never felt fury starved, but maybe it's because the ring.
    Just don't spam too hard, usually i'm sitting at 30-50% fury all the time.

Furry starved gaps? Get used to it. I'm sure many will disagree with me, but I feel that the viability of havoc is dependent on whether or not you have the ring or helm legendary. In the mean time, you fill those gaps with TG or FR.

Deleted
    Go for FirstBlood.
    You'll do more single-target damage and smoove out the downtimes because you only need 10 fury to use it.

Try First Blood and Demonic Appetite. The latter is especially useful when farming. Every kill grants you 35 fury. Lets you chain farm fairly quickly. And with how artifact knowledge works now I would suggest rushing to the Eye Beam reset talent, Feast on the Souls. You can then keep chain pulling a ton of mobs and Eye Beam will always be available.

Deleted
    Tbh w/o the ring your gonna feel starved. Sometimes due to bad RNG I also feel starved even with the ring, I can only imagine the sadness w/o the ring.

That's the problem with RNG fury generation. Even with the ring I sometimes feel fury starved. I don't have the 2p bonus yet, so I can't tell how it's gonna be with 2p + ring. But probably even then there will be moments where you're fury starved, do to the RNG nature.

This is going to be a regular issue for you while leveling, and then while gearing once you hit 110. The way we gain power is partially in flat out increasing our damage done, and also increasing our DPS longevity or uptime - the periods of time we can DPS nonstop without being Fury starved. As you gain secondary stats (mainly crit, haste to an extent) at 110 you'll notice fewer and fewer "starvation" periods where you have no Fury.

As stated above, First Blood is a go-to raiding talent now and the reduced cost will help you a lot, especially for the huge damage it does. As you would in a raid environment, save your Throw Glaive charges for times when you don't have enough Fury to Chaos Strike or Blade Dance. When you have Fury, hitting Blade Dance (w/ First Blood) is your top priority, then Chaos Strike. If you do not have enough Fury for either and Fury of the Illidari is not up yet (or you are holding it for whatever reason), you would then use Throw Glaive as filler. If Throw Glaive is also not available, you can use Fel Rush for damage if you're comfortable with it (learn to be, you'll need to do this in raids).

If both Throw Glaive and Fel Rush are not available, that's genuine down-time where you have to simply wait for more Fury or a Felblade proc.

It's going to feel a lot worse while leveling than it will at max level. If we weren't a brand new class and were leveling with best-in-slot raid gear from the previous expansion, it might be a different story. Unfortunately, pretty much every item you get (barring nice epic upgrade procs on prior quests) will be an upgrade, meaning you're constantly (and slowly) working towards lessening those gaps of downtime.

Don't get too stressed about it, downtime is a normal thing for us and as you gear you'll have fewers wasted GCDs spent waiting. Until then, there's really not much you can do. If you're an Engineer, make a few stacks of Gunpowder Charges. If you're not, buy some on the AH or have an Engineer friend make you some; they are dirt cheap and do a TON of damage. It's a great thing to have while leveling so that when you have downtime, you can pop one of those for pretty massive damage on a short cooldown. Even a 110, these things are monstrous in WPVP and do crazy burst damage. It's not something you're really going to rely on specifically for downtime filler at max level, but while leveling they're very nice to have when you really need to pump out a little more damage to finish off a mob but are sitting at 8 Fury unable to do anything.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I did not level with Demon Blades myself. I did it with Demon's Bite; in a raid situation Blades is better right now, but while you're leveling and have pretty low secondary stats I always found the reliability of Demon's Bite to be better. The next time you're in town and can change talents for free, try swapping to something other than Demon Blades. I used Demonic Appetite, and when I used the GCD was still in place, yet it was still useful. With the constant fragments you can spawn via the current iteration, you'll have pretty much infinite self healing and a bunch of free Fury from orbs spawning in the middle of combat. I think there's a good chance that if you swap from Demon Blades to Demonic Appetite you'll end up liking it a lot more; you can always swap back to Blades at 110, or even after just a few minutes of trying out DA if you don't like it.
    Last edited by Extremity; 2017-02-06 at 01:10 PM.

I started playing a dh as an alt and I have to say that the rotation with demonic blades feels weird, I try to fill in the gaps with throw glaive but during a 5-6 minutes i sit about 1 min or more waiting to generate some fury.
    Imo this spec shouldn't be that reliant on a legendary, at least not when it comes to rotation.

Thanks for all the advice. Helpful stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    I started playing a dh as an alt and I have to say that the rotation with demonic blades feels weird, I try to fill in the gaps with throw glaive but during a 5-6 minutes i sit about 1 min or more waiting to generate some fury.
    Imo this spec shouldn't be that reliant on a legendary, at least not when it comes to rotation.
    Unless your gear is terrible (low crit and low haste), spending 20% of your time waiting on fury seems an exaggeration. The talent is only worthwhile if you have the haste/crit to support it. Before then you should be running Demon's Bite (give demonic a go or sim it vs the ST standard). Fel Rush should also be used before TG since it doesn't incur a full global.

Quote Originally Posted by n0n3 View Post
    To be sitting for a full minute with no Fury seems extreme so I'm just going to assume you saying "1 minute or more" just means "it feels like a long time!"

If for whatever reason you genuinely have absolutely horrible Fury generation with Demon Blades, whether it be your stat allocation or just bad gear, then running Demon Blades isn't the best choice for you now. Try out Demonic Appetite instead; you'll get reliable Fury via Demon's Bite, it's guaranteed because it can't miss like an auto attack can, and the new version of Demonic Appetite is actually really strong and will give you a nice boost of Fury every time you pick up a soul fragment.

On top of that, unless something's changed somewhat recently, Demonic Appetite *technically* sims a bit higher but it takes such perfect positioning and optimal play that most people won't get that level of performance out of it... I highly doubt you'll experience a loss, however, and in your situation it will probably be a gain even without perfect play... unless, of course, you're exaggerating a lot more than I assumed!

Deleted
    Bad bad fury

shouldnt be using dblades while leveling, you wont be able to generate the fury on any leveling content, demonic appetite is much better for survivability and fury gen

Dumped Demon Blades, made a HUGE difference in rage gen. Dblades should not even be a tier one option. Taking it at 100 can really mess you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyattbw09 View Post
    Dumped Demon Blades, made a HUGE difference in rage gen. Dblades should not even be a tier one option. Taking it at 100 can really mess you up.
    It's in the second tier of talents atm.

..but yeah, when I first started on beta I picked it when I unlocked that talent row in the starting area. I didn't realize it replaced Demon's Bite as I (and everybody else at the time) was new to the class. I genuinely thought that Blizzard had made a mistake; why the hell would a talent replace our primary generation ability for a "stand there and auto attack" setup? It seemed like a joke. Now, to be fair, pretty much every other ability was still locked which put even more emphasis on the downtime, and nobody had any idea how it would work in a raid with better gear... but at the time it just seemed flat out broken.

It's simply a poor talent for leveling. There are enough resources out there that a person looking for the best way to level will be able to see not to use it, but it's still unfortunate that the talent has such a large discrepancy between low and higher levels. If anything, it should scale with level; higher chance at 103 than at 104, etc.

If you've choosen the path towards "Feast on the Souls" in your weapon (which i doubt), spec 3323223, would be the easiest for leveling and questing at 110 with low gear

Dont run with blades until you hit 110 and have some decent gear. The fury generation is hell.

Hell, theres points at which my generation sucks once the cds are off

I really, really recommend not using Demon Blades while leveling (or longer questing in gerneral). It indeed feels quite dull, and you often fail to tag a mob because you don't have enough fury to use a skill and autoattack is on the swing timer.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I really, really recommend not using Demon Blades while leveling (or longer questing in gerneral). It indeed feels quite dull, and you often fail to tag a mob because you don't have enough fury to use a skill and autoattack is on the swing timer.
    Tbf, demon blades is fine questing at 110, I usually have my mobs tagged via glaives, fel rush or felblade before I get a single auto attack off.