Poll: Has the Rising Cost of the WoW Token made you unsub?

Page 11 of 29 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Goondicker View Post
    I didn't realize how much I want a playable murloc until now.

What was this supposed to be about again?
    another retarded jtbrig whine thread

i don't have time to make gold, now i can just buy it and be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgummage View Post
    I actually started writing a Windows 10 app to give desktop notifications if the price dropped below a certain threshold, but got bored and stopped Might actually be worth finishing it now with the addition of Battle.net balance.

- - - Updated - - -

The EU prices are higher because there are comparatively more "poor" countries here (such as eastern Europe) where for them it's much nicer to grind the gold than pay exorbitant exhange rates to buy game time in Euros.

This feeds into the supply/demand formula of more buyers than sellers, pushing up prices.
    Only this doesn't matter at all for Blizzard as then they would have reduced the normal subscription fee too. Unless they haven't and I don't know it. Anyway, it's stupid how there are the same amount of resources in both versions, yet US can't make as much gold as EU apparently.

Nope, but it has made me want to buy a three hundred dollars worth of tokens. The money is not a big deal for me. Right now they are going for 110,000 gold. 300.00 may seem like a lot but I work long hours and don't have the time to make the gold. Since my time is so valuable I see it as a good deal That is 3.3 million in gold and I can be lazy forever and never worry about making gold again.

No I'm not buying the spider mount.

I am a firm believer that if you can't afford 14.99 a month for World of Warcraft? Playing games is the last thing you should do and it is time to rebuild your life.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisxor View Post
    I still pay for my sub with real money. The sub is dirt cheap; 15$ a month is nothing for how many hours I play. When i drop below a million gold I usually just buy some tokens and sell them for gold. This is an extremely cheap hobby in the grand scheme of things.
    Exactly. It's a great deal. I don't understand the people who refuse to pay for the game (don't think it is worth it quit). Also don't really understand the people too poor to play. I mean I understand what poor is big time. I just don't understand why you would focus on WoW at all if 14.99 is too much money. Time to get a second job or a better job not play games.

Prices are already dropping, I guess it will stabilize to 10-20% higher within a month or two. The vast majority of token purchases will still be used for game time, since that is a monthly recurring purchase, while mounts and pets and other games are 1-time purchases. To the people saying hearthstone packs and overwatch crates are going to drive the token prices up, I don't think so. To have enough disposable gold in WoW to consistently be able to buy b.net balance, you have to be playing WoW a decent amount of time, and I doubt the average hearthstone player is going to start investing tons of time into WoW just to buy some packs. WoW services will also be in less demand after this initial rush. Who is transferring characters every month? Most people just want off their dead server, and it will be a rare purchase.

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought a shitload of tokens when they were going for 25kg a pop and have enough to last me several years. So don't care.
    "It's not what we don't know that gets us into trouble; it's what we know for sure that just ain't so." ~ Mark Twain
    "The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time" ~ Jesus of Nazareth
    "把它放在我的屁股,爸爸" ~ Dalai Lama

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    I bought a shitload of tokens when they were going for 25kg a pop and have enough to last me several years. So don't care.
    I could very well be wrong on this, but I thought there was a limit on how any you could buy. Isn't it like 10 Maximum or something?

10+ Year Old Account
    I cant buy anymore token anyway.

the limit of 36 tokens every 24 months has been reach lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    I personally still can't comprehend not having 15 extra dollars a month to spend on this sort of entertainment. The amount of money is so small compared to the hundreds of hours you could play a month.

It's FIFTEEN dollars. Some people act like Blizzard is asking for your first born.

"Not everyone can afford 15 dollars a month!"

Right. So get a job, this game shouldn't be your first priority then regardless.

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

This thread, and others like it, make me laugh. I always knew that the standard-issue WoW player was weak when it came to understanding economic principles, but all this discussion about the current fluctuations in WoW Token prices seals the deal and proves that most people playing this game are economically retarded.

WoW Tokens are an interesting commodity. For some people, the game cannot be played without it. It's absolutely essential. This is one of two populations in WoW today (the other population being those who pay for their subscription with a credit card). In a way, this means that WoW Tokens have inelastic demand. That is to say, people will continue to buy them regardless of the price, because if they don't buy it the only other option is to "die" (unsub) due to being without. There is no choice for these people other than to step out of the game. It's kind of like food, water, or life-saving medicines (medicine is probably the best way to think about it, because not everyone needs every kind of medicine; just so, not everyone needs tokens but those who do REALLY do!).

So, what happened to the price? Blizzard cut off the supply for a few weeks. Hence, supply dropped while demand remained constant. Economic equilibrium must be maintained, and so the price necessarily had to increase to achieve equilibrium. And boy, did it increase. Once people were allowed to buy again, the supply plummeted to literally 0 and the price tripled to compensate. (To be perfectly honest, it's surprising that the price didn't increase way, WAY higher than that considering that the entire supply pool completely bottomed out, but whatever.)

So, if you're a person who depends on Tokens to "survive", your only choice is to fork over the dough. FeelsBadMan; nobody likes a price increase, but it is what it is. YET THE STORY DOESN'T END THERE!

Give it time. Immediate demand for tokens was at an all-time high last night and this morning, and it is going to eventually drop off and stabilize. When the supply stabilizes and the spike in demand falls off, equilibrium will pull the price back down to the real, stable cost of the token once more. This will probably take a while--a week or two, for all we know--but it will happen! The spike that you're seeing now is just that: a spike, not a plateau.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jabberwock View Post
    No.

And I laugh at every single dumbass who thinks they're "sticking it" to Blizzard by using tokens instead of paying a subscription (or, now, buying anything from their store). For every $15 you spend/buy, you're actually giving them $20. Way to show them up, you crafty genius you! <thumbs up>
    You aren't giving them 20 dollars someone else did. They still get 5 to 7 extra dollars, but it isn't from me or others using gold. Obviously you aren't sticking it to them and the fools that think Blizzard is doing this to suck gold out of the players are idiots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by reemi View Post
    I cant buy anymore token anyway.

the limit of 36 tokens every 24 months has been reach lonnnnnnnnnnnnng time ago.
    They removed that limit in January when Nighthold went live. That is why the NA token shot up in price for a week.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog View Post
    I could very well be wrong on this, but I thought there was a limit on how any you could buy. Isn't it like 10 Maximum or something?
    Before the last oatch you could only buy 10 in a 7 day window and 36 in a 24 month window.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    You aren't giving them 20 dollars someone else did.
    No, you did by being the end customer. That $15 equivalence you used to buy whatever it is you bought -- it doesn't matter what you bought or how you obtained it -- put $20 in Blizzard's pocket. YOU. YOU gave them $20 instead of $15. Not the person who actually bought the token, as the token is worthless until it's actually spent. Your DEMAND for the $15 token is what SUPPLIED Blizzard with $20.

You.

YOU.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ghrog View Post
    Dude, chill the fuck out, I'm explaining where the confusion came from. I said i understood what was meant, but from a purely semantic point of view, it WAS in fact worded wrongly.
    No, it wasn't. You're simply ignorant to how things work. Period. End of discussion. You don't get to claim "derp, I'm too dim-witted to understand what was being said" as an excuse any more than "I didn't know it was against the law" is a valid argument in a court case. Ignorance isn't and shouldn't be excused for any fucking reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Saverem View Post
    If you got them when they were that ceap you have about a year left. Until last month you could only buy 24 in a 36 month window and tokens have been north of 30k for over 18 months.

I'm just going to pay the $15 a month sub. I'd rather have my imaginary gold over 15 a month.

Chill down ladies, price is downing now

No, you did by being the end customer. That $15 equivalence you used to buy whatever it is you bought -- it doesn't matter what you bought or how you obtained it -- put $20 in Blizzard's pocket. YOU. YOU gave them $20 instead of $15. Not the person who actually bought the token, as the token is worthless until it's actually spent. Your DEMAND for the $15 token is what SUPPLIED Blizzard with $20.

You.

YOU.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it wasn't. You're simply ignorant to how things work. Period. End of discussion. You don't get to claim "derp, I'm too dim-witted to understand what was being said" as an excuse any more than "I didn't know it was against the law" is a valid argument in a court case. Ignorance isn't and shouldn't be excused for any fucking reason.
    They got the money the second the other person bought the token. It could never be bought for gold and they still were paid 20 dollars. I have paid for Legion and nothing else for 2 years. Now I have 18 or so months of gametime and 120 in bnet revenue as of right now. Personally I wont ever give Blizzard another dollar.
    Last edited by Alvito; 2017-02-07 at 09:10 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've read, they expect prices to stabilize.

It's this whole "can buy 30 days WoW time" or newly added "add US$15 to battlenet account" that has caused the jump and people are using WoW to pay for lockboxes and stuff in other games.

I'm not playing at moment. Usually just sub as I don't have time to grind. My issue right now is purely time. I'd love to be raiding/playing.

You.

YOU.

- - - Updated - - -

Looking at your posts in the thread, I suggest your get some anger counseling.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    I personally still can't comprehend not having 15 extra dollars a month to spend on this sort of entertainment. The amount of money is so small compared to the hundreds of hours you could play a month.

It's FIFTEEN dollars. Some people act like Blizzard is asking for your first born.

"Not everyone can afford 15 dollars a month!"

Right. So get a job, this game shouldn't be your first priority then regardless.
    Exactly, I mean, hell, it damn near costs $15 to go to the movies nowadays (without buying any soda or popcorn) and that's only about 2 hours of entertainment compared to the 40 or 50 (or more) hours you get from this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    They got the money the second the other person bought the token. It could never be bought for gold and they still were paid 20 dollars. I have paid for Legion and nothing else for 2 years. Now I have 18 or so months of gametime and 120 in bnet revenue as of right now. Personally I wont ever give Blizzard another dollar.
    Jesus Christ.

THEY ONLY GOT THE MONEY BECAUSE OF YOU.

For fuck's sake. In your head, I bet you think that when you buy something from a store, you're not actually giving the company who produced it any money, because you're buying it from the store, and it was the STORE that bought it from the company (or another middleman, who in turn is the real person who gave money to the company), and so on and so forth. So nope, you didn't give one red cent to the company, they got it through maaaaagic!
    Last edited by Doctor Funkenstein; 2017-02-07 at 09:16 PM.