Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    @Maletalana, I won't object to AH (not RMAH though, that one is an entirely different story), and in theory it should help people who like to play solo by making gear more accessible to them. But I believe it won't work for that group of people anyway.
    Regardless, how and for who you think the AH will improve the current gameplay? It cannot be that just because of that ruby gem (highest rank) which you can farm in a matter of an hour worst case if you're doing stuff randomly, or much faster if you know what you're doing.

lol id rather die from hunger than farm money in a dead end game like Diablo 3

But RMAH in WoW would be interesting. Or just RM something.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post
    I'm sorry because i know this isnt very constructive but "I miss Diablo III's Real-Money-Auction-House" makes me want to barf.
    It would be disingenuous to edit my original post with this edit, so ill just talk about it here, but I think I was using the term "RMAH" when I meant to use just the general "AH". Do you hate both RM and G -AH's the same amounts, or was one worse?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by meheez View Post
    lol id rather die from hunger than farm money in a dead end game like Diablo 3

But RMAH in WoW would be interesting. Or just RM something.
    Absolutely, with such a huge player-base, I bet the economics would work themselves into a sort of balance, more or less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    @Maletalana, I won't object to AH (not RMAH though, that one is an entirely different story), and in theory it should help people who like to play solo by making gear more accessible to them. But I believe it won't work for that group of people anyway.
    Regardless, how and for who you think the AH will improve the current gameplay? It cannot be that just because of that ruby gem (highest rank) which you can farm in a matter of an hour worst case if you're doing stuff randomly, or much faster if you know what you're doing.
    When leveling up a character, when you find your damage is just not killing bosses well enough, and want an upgrade.
    inb4 But Mal, just adjust the difficulty slider!
    We need that removed completely. It should only exist at level 70. In D2, you beat the game on normal, then on nightmare, then on Hell. For D3 live, you adjust as you want. When leveling it ruins the experience imho.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maletalana View Post
    I bought Diablo III and its' expansion when they were each released, and have leveled almost every class to 70, with Wizard having been leveled to 70 three separate times. I used to adore the gameplay and explorative RPG action. I thought it was such an innovation for Blizzard to take hold of the reins of the market for buying gear from other players. Was it 'game-breaking'? Perhaps. In my opinion no, but I was sort of a casual. You won't find me on top of any ladders, but if there was one for sheer hours played, you might.

I think the excitement with playing died slowly once the Adventure Mode option became available with Reaper of Souls. Instead of playing through the game and leveling up and acquiring gear (even through the RMAH when you hit a lul in drops while leveling), you simply log on, grind the 5 quests per zone, do each zone, then log off and log back on to do the random quests again (or should I just call them world quests ....). The other option of course is Rifts and Greater Rifts, but those are even more randomly generated than the random quests.

We as gamers have always griped about why linear gameplay isn't fun, but after witnessing what happens as the reciprocal to linear, I can't find any motivation to even log on any more. Having a linear path of progression gives motivation to get to the next check point!

I always enjoyed gearing up, and when you have an alt that has a socketed weapon drop, and you grab a high end Ruby from your main to use for it, your damage skyrockets! It was so thrilling to me to blast bosses away with a few strikes, it almost felt like a cheat code. When drops weren't in your favor, you could swing over to the RMAH, using money or gold mind you, and play around with auctions.

I understand what all went into that system, and how Blizzard's design was not how the game ended up with direction, but personally, I loved where it was going.

On a tangent, do any of you feel any similarities between the current state of Diablo III's endgame and that of WoW Legion? I have stopped playing Legion out of boredom, in the exact same fashion and timeframe that Diablo III became boring, and in my opinion, for the same reasons.

Thoughts?
    I miss it too, I payed one of my college summer vacations thanks to the RMAH. Good times.

When leveling up a character, when you find your damage is just not killing bosses well enough, and want an upgrade.
    inb4 But Mal, just adjust the difficulty slider!
    We need that removed completely. It should only exist at level 70. In D2, you beat the game on normal, then on nightmare, then on Hell. For D3 live, you adjust as you want. When leveling it ruins the experience imho.
    But Mal, just adjust the difficulty slider!

It had to be done!
    Seriously now, I agree that adjustable difficulty diminishes the leveling experience greatly when you do it for the first time. But lets think about it reasonably.
    First thing you'll also have to block players from joining torment games, since otherwise your limitation will be easily circumvented.
    But then, when you do it for the Nth time you just want to get it over with (I know I do!). So I suspect many will dislike the change, but it's not what I'm getting at.
    The thing is, with what gold you're planning on buying that gear? When leveling you have access to maybe thousands of gold, while at 70 we're talking in billions.
    On the one hand, if you remove shared stash, why as level 70 I would want to sell rubies for 5k when those 5k are completely irrelevant to me? Of course selling them at 20mil a pop will not get me many buyers.
    On the other hand, if you don't touch the shared stash, why not utilize the crafting system (which is not being used for anything at all right now) to gear up your other characters if you have one at 70?

I agree that D2 was a completely different game than what is now. But there are other games like D2 available now, why not play them?
    I'm not saying that D3 doesn't have its own share of problems, but sooner than introducing AH I'd like more variation in seasons. Things like seasonal gear back. New zone every one or two seasons. Better balance in solo ladders. Less junk gear. Remove junk sets. Better paragon system (this one is tricky to do well). Either pruning of difficulty levels or just really making an easily adjustable torment slider. Alternative end game to GRs, don't know, maybe rated arena?
    I'm getting a bit sidetracked, but to get back on point, why you think the AH (with the listed problems) is more important for the game than any of these changes? Do you really believe the development focus should be on the leveling experience rather than on end game?

The RMAH was cancer to the game, and because of it D3 never got as popular as it deserved to be. The console export/expansion sale overhaul changed the game in very positive ways, but it never recovered the disastrous launch it had.

Good riddance and hopefully Blizzard learned where the line is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you think Diablo III is the last of the Diablo Universe? I certainly hope not, but seeing how little new-content development is in the works, I couldn't agree more to spending a bit of cosmetics or something to keep Diablo alive. Overwatch has some fantastic art for its skins and emotes, and is updated throughout the year with all of these different events.
    Yeah, exactly what I had in mind. Adding stuff like Overwatch or even short DLC like the mission packs for Starcraft II would be a nice touch to keep the game alive. In all honestly having a season every few months for a banner/portrait/pet is not gonna last. The next big thing will be the necromancer, as far as I know will be buy to play right?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Metallourlante View Post
    Yeah, exactly what I had in mind. Adding stuff like Overwatch or even short DLC like the mission packs for Starcraft II would be a nice touch to keep the game alive. In all honestly having a season every few months for a banner/portrait/pet is not gonna last. The next big thing will be the necromancer, as far as I know will be buy to play right?
    That's what Coldkil was saying

I miss trading. This game has zero interaction with other players outside of the 2 hours you have to trade some things but if you get a good item on your own you'd like to trade you're SOL. Its stupid.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dadev View Post
    But Mal, just adjust the difficulty slider!

It had to be done!
    Seriously now, I agree that adjustable difficulty diminishes the leveling experience greatly when you do it for the first time. But lets think about it reasonably.
    First thing you'll also have to block players from joining torment games, since otherwise your limitation will be easily circumvented.
    But then, when you do it for the Nth time you just want to get it over with (I know I do!). So I suspect many will dislike the change, but it's not what I'm getting at.
    The thing is, with what gold you're planning on buying that gear? When leveling you have access to maybe thousands of gold, while at 70 we're talking in billions.
    On the one hand, if you remove shared stash, why as level 70 I would want to sell rubies for 5k when those 5k are completely irrelevant to me? Of course selling them at 20mil a pop will not get me many buyers.
    On the other hand, if you don't touch the shared stash, why not utilize the crafting system (which is not being used for anything at all right now) to gear up your other characters if you have one at 70?

I agree that D2 was a completely different game than what is now. But there are other games like D2 available now, why not play them?
    I'm not saying that D3 doesn't have its own share of problems, but sooner than introducing AH I'd like more variation in seasons. Things like seasonal gear back. New zone every one or two seasons. Better balance in solo ladders. Less junk gear. Remove junk sets. Better paragon system (this one is tricky to do well). Either pruning of difficulty levels or just really making an easily adjustable torment slider. Alternative end game to GRs, don't know, maybe rated arena?
    I'm getting a bit sidetracked, but to get back on point, why you think the AH (with the listed problems) is more important for the game than any of these changes? Do you really believe the development focus should be on the leveling experience rather than on end game?
    And here's where I dive off the deep end, actually yes. I know I am a fringe minority, but I love the leveling experience. Once I have leveled to max and gotten some decent gear, I want to reroll a new character of a different class, for a different experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldkil View Post
    RMAH killed the game more than anything else. You didn't need to play, only a credit card. The reason there are not many updates is that the game doesn't generate revenue (while RMAH did) so they're swapping towards class DLCs.
    Exactly what I meant. DLC doesn't mean updates, DLC means more DLC. RMAH is a better option to generating content because it means those that want to pay can while those that don't want to pay still get the content.

D3 with RMAH was bad because it was build around the AH.

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    Yeah man i loved watching items being worth 200 billion and realizing you had to get an extremely lucky drop or farm gold for 2 years where you needed MF sets. Not a chance
    Yeah, I remember feeling that, too. I played from the start, and it just felt pointless after a while, unless you had 40-60 hours to grind, or botted. I liked the idea of selling off stuff i found that I had no use for, but nothing was worth very much unless it was a small pool of legendaries. The story was great the first couple of times through, but Loot 1.0 just wasn't Diablo-worthy, with the loot Pinata that was D2. Loot 2.0 brought me back, and saved the game, IMHO.

I'd still like to have an in-game AH of some sort. I hate when I find really good WD stuff, because I don't care for the class, and will never level one again. I'd love to see them make the crafting aspect more robust and meaningful, and let us make stuff, and sell it. Otherwise, unless I need it, I sell everything. Might as well have a button in the Prefs that if something drops not for your class, drop gold instead.

Oh, and give me something to spend gold on. Like frames, or pets, or shards. Something. I think my account has almost half a billion gold right now.

Not quoting what everyone else said.

Trading with current itemization and drop system will only be redundant and prices will be inflated to the max as soon an AH (independently from the currency) since everyone can farm a lot of stuff.

While there are people missing trading, most people realiza that an AH is just detrimental since you don't play the game, you buy the gear. One of the main gold of an ARPG is the item hunt, and you don't want an AH exactly for this reason.

As a side note: i don't understand the whole thing about the difficulty slider. First, having multiple difficulty is fine, though i can agree that 13 levels of torment are way too much and we definitely need a "difficulty crunch" because most of these levels are ignored because of power creep speed. Anyway it's been like from the beginning that i NEVER had to tone down the difficulty.
    Difficulty progression is pretty much streamlined - hard/master for leveling, get into T1 as soon you're 70, T6 when you have a full set, then T10 then T13. Any other difficulty is basically ingored and if you're playing it it's basically due to the wrong build or lack in skill (though i don't think it's the latter since skill is scarcely involved until late endgame).
    Really, toning down difficulty is something that doesn't exist. You either go lower one for speed or push GRs.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Oh, and give me something to spend gold on. Like frames, or pets, or shards. Something. I think my account has almost half a billion gold right now.
    Would like that too. Half a billion gold however is really low :P I have like 1.5b in my seasonal char
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    The RMAH destroyed the game utterly.. It is still slowly recovering now. Was glad when the removed it but in all honesty it should NEVER EVER have made into the game in the first place.

Deleted
    RMAH was one of the reasons I didn't buy this game on launch. However normal trading (like it was in D2) is a different story. I would definitely welcome it back.

RMAH is one of those things that works well on paper.....but not in reality.

It SEEMS like it would be a good idea, but then when you actually put it into action it really isn't. Because of the RMAH(and even the Gold AH) they had to adjust drop rates of legendaries and made item stats all over the place. It was rare to get a legendary, and even rarer yet to get one that had the appropriate stats for your class (like getting tons of Int legendaries on a Barbarian, or tons of Strength ones on a Monk). They did this because the AH was an option, so they couldn't just give you everything you needed by actually playing the game. They had to create a reason to use the AH in the first place.

So no...the game should never have a AH ever again....be it gold or real cash.
    There is a thin line between not knowing and not caring, and I like to think that I walk that line every day.

Deleted
    RMAH was terrible because it was obvious the game was designed to make you buy stuff from the auction house. In hell difficulty you would randomly get stuck somewhere and couldn't progress. And you couldn't get good enough gear yourself from the places you could clear and had to buy it from the AH.

You got stuck because D3 is an incredibly linear game. Your gear just increases your stats exponentially. And the enemies also scale in damage and durability. Enemies also hit you at the start of a swing, not the end. They are also quite fast. Kiting is nearly impossible in D3. You need good gear to beat certain sections. And if your gear isn't good enough there is literally nothing you can do. In D2 for example you could easily kite mobs around. Their swing wouldn't hit you if you ran away, and the mobs had high hp, but lower dmg. Everything could be kited around and cleverly killed, no matter your gear.

Also I think RMAH is kind of a scapegoat where people say ''Oh they removed RMAH now its a much better game'', just because the awfulness of it is so obvious. But D3 still has shitty visual design, shitty characters and a nonsensical story. Terrible and boring itemization, arguably the most important part of a Diablo game

Meh, I think the RMAH was a bad thing for the game. Even though I did sell a few items while casually playing.... I managed to make a little over $100 from a few lucky drops even though I was nowhere near a hardcore player. Was pretty nice at the time but I don't think it was doing the game much good in terms of progression.

I thought it was such an innovation for Blizzard to take hold of the reins of the market for buying gear from other players.
    This shows you have no clue what you are talking about.

You just want to find an excuse to whoever you feel you have betrayed so you can "i make money too" argument with your gaming.

P.S :I was 15 when you could buy and sell items for real money, i am 30 now, Blizzard didnt innovate anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Allora View Post
    Diablo is better then ever now.

RMAH was bullcr*p
    ^^^ this ^^^