10+ Year Old Account

#NoNetflix - Dear White People prompts cancellations

Original article here
    https://www.inverse.com/article/2763...etflix-protest

The trailer for Netflix’s upcoming series Dear White People has struck a chord with white supremacists. Many are now canceling their service and using the Twitter hashtag #NoNetflix to publicize it.

On Wednesday, Netflix dropped the first look at the show based on the 2014 movie of the same name. It didn’t take long for people to start protesting with their wallets.

Why all the fury? Well, Dear White People follows black college student Sam White, who hosts a radio show about being a minority while attending a largely white university. The show’s trailer teases White’s broadcast about acceptable Halloween costumes which include pirates and “slutty nurses.” As for unacceptable: dressing up in black face.

Soon after the trailer was released, the bemoaning began on Twitter. Members of the self-proclaimed “alt-right,” otherwise known as white supremacists, were concerned about white people’s portrayal in the show. They quickly organized #NoNetflix and spoke out in opposition of the “anti-white show” that “promotes white genocide.”

Well-known Donald Trump supporter and Twitter personality @bakedalaska tweeted out a screenshot of his cancellation message. It quickly took on the whiter parts of the internet.

Many others followed suit, furthering the claim that Netflix was promoting an “anti-white agenda.”

They also swarmed the trailer’s YouTube comments and ratings. As of Thursday noon, the video has about 5,600 thumbs-up and 109,300 thumbs-down. Responses like “dear netflix your [sic] just signed up for bankruptcy” to surface.

Meanwhile, others pointed out that these people’s efforts probably would do little to dent Netflix’s massive influence. Twitter user @buncahn shared a graph showing the company’s stock continually going up.

Justin Siemien, the creator of Dear White People, posted on Facebook about the pushback. He wrote, “To see the sheer threat that people feel over a date announcement video featuring a woman of color (politely) asking not to be mocked makes it so clear why I made this show.”

In today’s political climate, money has been a significant form of protest. After Trump put in place a travel ban and cab drivers were protesting by refusing to transport passengers to John F. Kennedy Airport, Uber announced that it had turned off surge pricing at the airport. Many saw this as the ride-sharing app’s attempt to take advantage of the situation and #DeleteUber started trending, with many people getting rid of the app because of its response to the ban.

It’s unclear exactly how many people have canceled their Netflix accounts because of the Dear White People. But it also looks like plenty of other people are excited about the show, which is available to stream on April 28.

I've never seen the 2014 film myself, but from the trailer it seems pretty harmless to be considered white genocide. People tend to get pretty upset about negative portrayals of their race, though it's pretty silly to consider this promoting white genocide when minorities have been negatively portrayed in various media the past few decades.
    Last edited by Clone; 2017-02-11 at 03:11 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh noes! How will Netflix survives this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm surprised that all these white supremacists can afford fifteen dollars a month, quite frankly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    Oh noes! How will Netflix survives this?
    Another season of Fuller House and Orange Is The New Black....?

If they made a show about a white guy doing the same the thing it would horrible and racist and mean. What's good for the goose is good for the gander in this case.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Another season of Fuller House and Orange Is The New Black....?
    Heh. Not everything can be House of Cards.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    If they made a show about a white guy doing the same the thing it would horrible and racist and mean. What's good for the goose is good for the gander in this case.
    Doing what same thing? The trailer features a black woman speaking out against blackface as an acceptable Halloween costume. So a minority doesn't want to be ridiculed, I don't think white people not wanting to be ridiculed would be horrible and racist and mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    I was thinking the same thing, if it was reversed it would of never even been made.

7+ Year Old Account
    The title is whitewashed. It should be "Dear Brown People".

Wasn't this a movie?

And they're extending it to a series with 10 episodes?

What I want to know is when will these people be boycotting Blizzard so they can stop infesting WoW.

If you watch the trailer, the blacks commit home invasion, assault and destroy property. They explain its ok because bad thoughts. Why is it ok for them to appropriate colored contacts for green eyes?
    People are unused to truth.
    People follow consistent truth.
    Respect the power and impact of truth.
    Men who speak truth drive value.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    I'm surprised that all these white supremacists can afford fifteen dollars a month, quite frankly.
    Well, duh, it's because white people are privileged.

if its really a show about a minority person putting hate on white people simply for the color of their skin then it should be removed from netflix, if it were about some white person doing the same it would cause a riot and minority people would probably start burning down their cities again
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

Quote Originally Posted by EnclosedOne View Post
    if its really a show about a minority person putting hate on white people simply for the color of their skin then it should be removed from netflix.
    As a white person ill say no it shouldn't be removed from netflix.

People have the right to make the content they wish to make and netflix has the right to host said content if they wish. Not everything is lollipops and puffy clouds.

Personally I laughed at the trailer, I mite even check it out just for the hell of it. Netflix is making money hand over fist, if some racist twat wants to unsub go for it.

People should wait for it all to be release before judging it.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

People are saying that the trailer is a terrible representation of what it's actually about. The source material's message is not 'fuck white people,' but about setting race aside and coming together. It supposedly makes fun of both sides.

And yet, we've got a bunch of basket cases who saw the trailer and decided immediately to get triggered to hell and back.

Quote Originally Posted by CMartel View Post
    If you watch the trailer, the blacks commit home invasion, assault and destroy property. They explain its ok because bad thoughts. Why is it ok for them to appropriate colored contacts for green eyes?
    Where crashing a party is home invasion and knocking a hat off is assault. Could you be spin any harder?

Don't answer that, it was rhetorical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

I gather from this that it's just a bunch of totally-not-SJWs-because-they-would-never-behave-exactly-the-same getting their panties in a twist over literally nothing.

Strawman white boogiemen do racist things so we can righteously hate that evil race. Meanwhile the creator tweets about his hunger for white genocide.

10+ Year Old Account
    and again, this subject is race based, and race topics arent allowed

closing