Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Restaurants Should Refuse to Serve Large Parties

As the topic states, I think restaurants should not accept parties of more than 4 people. Nothing pisses me off more than when a group of 12 come into a restaurant. This means they often have to rearrange tables to accommodate them, and it causes everyone else to have to wait even more because they take up the tables space that 3 other small groups couldve had causing everyone else to have to wait longer.

Additionally, when large parties come in, it takes additional staff to serve them creating shittier service for other people (longer waits for drink refills if they ever do come to give you one, longer time to wait for dessert order, longer wait for the bill, and longer wait for receipt).

Large groups of people are also loud causing audible disturbances to everyone around them because they feel the need to shout from one end of the table to the other to talk to each other, and lastly they almost always want serparate checks (takes too much of the server's time) for everyone and rarely leave a good tip (which is why some restaurants demand a gratuity for parties of 8 or more (which should also be illegal because tips are voluntary and you arent allowed to charge different people different prices for the same thing. They are paying more for the same food as the people next to them just because they want to sit together)

7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like a good way to lose a lot of money. So yeah, not gonna happen.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    just ban everything in the US .. god forbid that u wanna go out with family or with friends for some special events like birthday yada yada ..what is wrong with people like u?

10+ Year Old Account
    How's your crusade against restaurants having an outside area?

One wouldn't have to look to know that this is going to be an Orlong thread.

I actually basically agree that large parties suck. I don't like being near them, I don't like being part of them. They're a pain in the ass in every way imaginable.

Who gives a shit though? If you don't like a restaurant's policies or service or climate on a given day, you can just go elsewhere. My approach to a circumstance where there's a large party but I really want to eat somewhere is usually to just sit at the bar. Sitting at the bar is generally better in just about every way.

Thats going to put a serious damper on birthday parties...
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, as soon as we set a weight requirement (based on height) to go out to eat too. Must be under a certain BMI!

Its about as equally ridiculous and arbitrary.

Maybe they should solve the problem by just refusing to serve Orlong.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    As the topic states, I think restaurants should not accept parties of more than 4 people. Nothing pisses me off more than when a group of 12 come into a restaurant. This means they often have to rearrange tables to accommodate them, and it causes everyone else to have to wait even more because they take up the tables space that 3 other small groups couldve had causing everyone else to have to wait longer.
    ... a party of 12 doesn't occupy any more room than three groups of 4, and occupy fewer tables than four groups of 3, just saying. Also, the time it takes to rearrange the tables for the group of 12 is rather negligible. It's all done in less than a minute. Two tops. You can wait another minute, and if you can't, that's probably because: a) the restaurant already had slow service to begin with, which isn't the group of 12's fault; or b) you're way too impatient, which, again, it's not the group of 12's fault.

Additionally, when large parties come in, it takes additional staff to serve them creating shittier service for other people (longer waits for drink refills if they ever do come to give you one, longer time to wait for dessert order, longer wait for the bill, and longer wait for receipt).
    How would this be any different if instead of of a group of 12, it was three groups of 4 or four groups of 3?
    "Torturing someone is not an evil thing to do if it is done for good reasons" by Varodoc
    "You sit in OG/SW waiting on a Mythic+ queue" by Altmer <- Oh, the pearls in this forum...
    "They sort of did this Dragonriding, which ushered in the Dracthyr race." by Teriz <- the BS some people reach for their narratives...

10+ Year Old Account
    There's literally no way to enforce this. The party of 12 would just take up three tables of 4, and still be served. And the rest of your complaints basically boil down to "I don't like other people, and I want to whine that other people exist in public spaces", and frankly, that's not THEIR problem, it's YOURS. If you don't like restaurants, cook at home.

When did you turn 80?

Large groups of people are also loud causing audible disturbances to everyone around them because they feel the need to shout from one end of the table to the other to talk to each other, and lastly they almost always want serparate checks (takes too much of the server's time) for everyone and rarely leave a good tip (which is why some restaurants demand a gratuity for parties of 8 or more (which should also be illegal because tips are voluntary and you arent allowed to charge different people different prices for the same thing. They are paying more for the same food as the people next to them just because they want to sit together)
    You realize as long as they aren't black, disabled, walking in with a pet or other-wise any of them a part of a "protected class"... restaurants can refuse to serve large parties? It sounds like you are trying to pretend to be a businessman without understanding business, like the restaurant does. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    As the topic states, I think restaurants should not accept parties of more than 4 people.
    Well someone forgot to make a reservation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Went to a restuarant with a party of 5 yesterday, did I piss off Orlong?

p.s
    I just knew it'd be a Orlong thread by the title.
    How is your crusade against outdoor seating going?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    How's your crusade against restaurants having an outside area?
    Terraces are the best though D:

Quote Originally Posted by sheggaro View Post
    Sounds like a good way to lose a lot of money. So yeah, not gonna happen.
    Why though? Whats the difference between 3 parties of 4 and 1 party of 12? What revenue is lost?

OT no, what a silly notion.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hell, some restaurants thrive on large parties. Joe T Garcias is near me, and like half their clientele involves parties of 6+ people because of how it is set up.

Fucking knew it was an Orlong thread.

The ego on this character is amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Maybe they should solve the problem by just refusing to serve Orlong.
    This really seems like it would solve a lot of problems for everyone involved. If I ever have a restaurant, I'm implementing it.

1st World problems....

I recall making a reservation for 2 dozen people for a farewell party...a good couple of weeks in advance.

Pro-tip...make reservation.