Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    MMOs have gone back to their niche market. Actually truth be told they were always niche. WoW was the exception, and it was revolutionary, but nothing will ever repeat that. The gaming generation is just different now. WoW is still doing quite well(relatively, although nowhere near as it used to of course), and some others are doing okay, but if you're looking for another WoW that will last you for 5+ years you'll be disappointed.
    Pretty much this I play wow Im not an mmo player though i dont jump to different games in the genre once wow is done im gonna go back to the old genres i used to play more frequently pre wow.

As I have said maaany times during the past 12 months - young people and "new gaming" people are totally not interested in the MMORPG form as we know it.
    Why?
    - they prefere faster games, faster progress (example: Overwatch has 25 mil players)
    - mobas
    - survival games
    - card games
    - tons of great games (story, visualy and gameplay wise, indie games, PS4, XBOX One) are now available vs what we had years ago, we had like dozen of amazing indie titles during 2015-2016
    over +450mln people are playing using the Steam
    - mobile gaming (tablet & smartphone) with many entertaining games for casuals being played by millions, less commitment and more action

upcoming mmorpgs like said "Pantheon" are aimed to a small minority of players who will actually play this, more people are playing Conan Exiles now vs the amount of people which will play
    - Pantheon
    - Camelot Unchained
    - etc

Honestly? Play anoy MMORPG You love, don't look at the others. I for instance know a couple which still plays the Anarchy Online from time to time and they love it (me too)

I don't care, there will always be smth to play, nothing lasts forever
    Last edited by Slaughty8; 2017-02-14 at 05:47 PM.

I would like the next big mmo to be a sci fi third person shooter online game based in a universe like mass effect. I say this and I hated the mass effect series the only game I finished was Mass Effect 2. I like the universe with the exception of the reapers and harvesters bullshit.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post
    they need to reinvent the mmo starting experience/ leveling concept .. spending so much time questing to reach max level just seem like such an old concept , needs something new and entertaining

what? i dont know. but Ultima Onlines leveling system was by far the most fun ever for me

- - - Updated - - -

i remember Kripparian made a video about this. In wow your char moves fluid through the world, looking around , jumping, combat..

too many mmo games seems to miss that point.
    I was just thinking about changing the leveling experience or completely removing the concept of leveling and change it to strictly gaining power and gear.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    MMOs have gone back to their niche market. Actually truth be told they were always niche. WoW was the exception, and it was revolutionary, but nothing will ever repeat that. The gaming generation is just different now. WoW is still doing quite well(relatively, although nowhere near as it used to of course), and some others are doing okay, but if you're looking for another WoW that will last you for 5+ years you'll be disappointed.
    And that is were I'm at, there will never be another MMO that started like WoW did...and that thought is kind of sad in a way

Deleted
    I think the days of broad audience mmorpgs (as like WoW and successfull clones) are over. There are so many players playing games nowadays that a large niche adresses enough players.

A thing AAA titles have to fix is the idea to present different difficulties to different player skills to engage both narrative focused gamers and challenge focused gamers. Due to the fact MMORPGs have shared worlds giving everyone getting the same difficulty has become a bigger problem. Those who just want to quest without challenge are as interesting as target group as those who want to play for a challenge only.
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-03-09 at 11:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    As I have said maaany times during the past 12 months - young people and "new gaming" people are totally not interested in the MMORPG form as we know it.
    Indeed, and it's not even just the "new" gamers, I would wager even older gamers (25 and up or so) who got into WoW in their teens or early adult life in general are less willing to dedicate much time into a single game.

The reality is WoW truly was an exception, and a transition period for online gaming in general. When WoW came out, not even singleplayer open worlds were common, let alone huge multiplayer persistant open worlds. WoW's success wasn't just about a good game, it was about a game that introduced MMORPG, Open World, even Multiplayer in general to many people. It wasn't just about it being fun to play, it was about playing with other people, getting to know them, and investing time into a character that got more powerful each day you played.

I mean, from both social and gaming aspects WoW (and the genre in general) just has a LOT more and better competition nowadays than it did at launch. You don't need an MMORPG to socialize or meet new people online now, you have thousands of websites and apps to do that.

I think there's a huge misconception that what made the game more successful (and for many people more enjoyable) in those first few years (Vanilla to WotLK) was that the endgame was better. I think in reality, the majority of people enjoyed those expansions more because of the leveling and discovery process rather than the endgame itself. Personally, I have been playing since 2009, so roughly 7~8 years. I have more and fonder memories of the first 2 or 3 times I leveled a character, exploring all the different zones and new classes, and the first raids I explored and progressed through (mainly ICC), and so of my first 1 to 2 years of playing or so, than I have of the remaining 5~7 years.

In the end, I think we'll all cherich our initial MMORPGs experiences more than everything (the first 1 to 3 years after being introduced to WoW, for instance).

Now, do I believe it is impossible for me to ever enjoy and come to cherish a game as much as I did WoW? No, I don't. It is something that is very uncommon, but my no means impossible, IMO. There are many games from the SEGA MegaDrive/Genesis and PS1 era that I have similar fond and nostalgic memories, and some more recent games did recapture what I felt about those older games back then. A good example for me would be perhaps the Metal Gear Solid franchise (the main games at least). Pretty much every new entry in the series gave me about as much fun and enjoyment as the first one did back then, even The Phantom Pain, for all its flaws. Another example, for instance, was Little Big Planet, that greatly recaptured and even improved on the enjoyment I had with older platformers.

With all this I mean that, while our initial WoW/MMORPG experience is something we'll never forget, it's not impossible that some day somethings shows up that matches or even surpasses those feelings. It's not impossible that in a few years you'll remember games you are playing today (even some you are now getting tired of) with fondness and nostalgia.

Genres come and go, and sometimes they need some time and space to breathe, and I think the MMORPG desperately needed to slow down a bit. It's a genre that demands attention and begs exclusiveness for big periods of time. Maybe in 5 or 10 years some company will revolutionize the genre. Maybe the main target will be younger people and not really us WoW players. Who knows? Only time will tell.

Meanwhile I take my chance of being more or less jaded with WoW and MMORPGs in general to have free time to enjoy other games, some that I've been meaning to play for years.

Quote Originally Posted by nailbomb View Post

i remember Kripparian made a video about this. In wow your char moves fluid through the world, looking around , jumping, combat..

too many mmo games seems to miss that point.
    This is true but even WoW is becoming dated in this regard. They really need a new engine with better physics like zelda has as it's really limiting what they can do with the game besides just adding more of the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Niwes View Post
    agree to a LOT what op said. if you find a solution to that problem, plz tell me, op i would be happy to have some classical, good, well rounded mmorpg, that could replace retail wow.
    I am not sure there is a solution, I think on many levels wow is an experience you can only have once.

I am remember an adrenaline rush downing rags for the first time, it took so long. There are two big reasons why this just is not happening for me anymore. A. Even if he was just one boss out of hundreds(or thousands if you include the market at large) everything since then has more or less been about as exciting on that level as a bump in the road, as some point everything switched to the inner workings of the character and...loot. B. Even wow is moving away from the buildup that makes such an event so intense. Got him down? well good but you have already killed him 100x on raid finder which totally wingclips the sense of achievement.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Hey Blizzard! Polish this you magnificent bastards!

Personally, I can't wait for some company to create an exceptional VR MMO. Exciting stuff.