Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[AFF] Tormented Souls needs tweaking like soul shards?

Hey guys so we were doing our alt raid heroic and I was finding while wiping out on botanist that...going into a fight with zero tormented souls really fucking sucks. First attempt I went in with 12, but all subsequent attempts I started at zero. Anyone else feel like this is an oversight on blizzard's that feels like pre 3gen soul shard QOL buff should have foreseen? And also foreseen how pure shit it is during a fight?

I agree 100 percent man. Mythic progression is awful without souls to reap at start and has lead me to getting sat.

Deleted
    I agree too. It really hurts A LOT in progress.

That is the biggest problem with affliction :

- Looks too good on farm raids with inflated logs
    - Is actually bad for progression
    - Is also bad on add priority fights due to long ramp up time.

Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post

The worst thing is it makes the vanilla system where you had to farm a crap tonne of soul shards before raid and horde up on them look preferable. I mean christ this sucks.

souls should reset at 4 souls or something like that. zero is just ridiculous
    BETA CLUB

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post

I wish there was an upvote button ^^
    That's what get us nerfed before NH came out, ppl farming with 12 reap boss and padding at EN / TOV made them nerf the class and after doing 9/10MM i end up benched on Guldan because "your spec is not that good for this boss sorry"

same bullshit shadow priests had in the last expansion. on archimonde our spriest had to zone out and farm shadow orbs (or whatever the stuff that enables devouring plague was called then). huge difference if you start a fight 0 or full.

they then went on to fix it with shadow's void power, resets to 25 when you engage a boss. and in the meantime introduced the same dumb mechanic for affliction. not very good at learning from their mistakes.

Deleted
    Affliction is horrible on wipes, and most PUG groups will kick you when theylook at demon hunters and warriors-lol-trinket doing millions of dps whilstyou are still casting your soul effigy because of your "low dps"

Afflocks sit behind for most of the fight and catch up at the end with sustained damage.

I just got the new trait on patch 7.2 on ptr (reap souls) it crits harder than UA and with the legendary back you can keep full uptime on reap. With the new traits I don't think ST will be an issue at all but will now make Cleave even worse as it will be a damage nerf to do any multidoting

Deleted
    I am feeling exact same way... We are at krises now 3/10 Mythic atm and I feel like I am underperforming on every boss except skorypyion because I can keep reap up for the entire fight, but the rest I am just sacking behind because I do not have any souls on pull, because of progress and because it is so RNG on the Tormented Souls. Some tries I get 7 Souls before adds on Krosus and others I get 3 Souls before Adds, just so frustrating playing Affliction for progress, so RNG. I am at that moment where I am considering going Destru or Demonology for progress, because of that RNG, but I have already 52 traits in Affliction and 2 legendaries for it, so kinda screwed I guess.

7+ Year Old Account
    I hate to break it to you, but starting at 12 souls is not how it's supposed to be. We're balanced around starting at zero.

Having 12 at pull is nothing but a fleeting trick.
    Last edited by sheggaro; 2017-03-06 at 01:12 AM.

Not having 12 is fine but they need to buff the rate at or consistency at which we get them. When your raid lust on pull and u get 1-2 souls for the entire thing it is soul crushing.

We are Indeed balanced around having 0 Souls at pull, they just need to adjust the RPPM on that. or atleast having 1 gaurnteed tormented soul at pull, It will slightly diminish our frustration regarding this issue.
    Edit Signature.

Correct me if I"m wrong but I think aff is the only dps artifact that cannot be used on a fresh pull. Personally I feel setting to 2 souls out of combat would be ideal.

Ive been looking for a tread on tormented souls cause my reaping got a whole lot worse lately.
    Before nightfall released i had stack of it on bossfights, no i hardly get any during a whole fight.
    I cant remember the last time i had 12 stacks.

Is there a trick to geting more souls that i dont know about?

Affliction is way to focused on easily killed adds to compete, weapon traits and reap souls are more or less useless on one target fights.
    Last edited by Morgan Pain; 2017-03-06 at 07:50 AM.

Deleted
    There used to be the trick with the combat pet "Tito". It spawned yellow lvl 1 "cows" that would give soul shards and souls when killed. They fixed it though so that those cows dont spawn in instances any more.

Sicne then: No, there is no trick other than HS'ing, killing stuff and being summoned back. Don't really think your raid group would be up for that, though

Easy fix, have us start the fight with even 2-4 sounds. Not adding game breaking damage, but it will allow us to get a little closer to our original DPS after a wipe

Quote Originally Posted by Nebiroth99 View Post
    Affliction is horrible on wipes, and most PUG groups will kick you when theylook at demon hunters and warriors-lol-trinket doing millions of dps whilstyou are still casting your soul effigy because of your "low dps"

Afflocks sit behind for most of the fight and catch up at the end with sustained damage.
    Aff is still capable of doing 500k on pull in shitty gear with no souls. In my current gear with no souls I can do about 800-900k on pull (assuming lust goes up). Its not as good as burst dps classes, but not unfortunate either.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    Aff is still capable of doing 500k on pull in shitty gear with no souls. In my current gear with no souls I can do about 800-900k on pull (assuming lust goes up). Its not as good as burst dps classes, but not unfortunate either.
    On mythic Gul'dan? I'd like to see the logs on that one cuz i call bullshit.

Deleted
    They gave us three shards because they acknowledged the complaint that it sucks to start on empty. Sam eproblem with demo, you spend so long getting your resources and ramping up your damage, by the time you reach full potential, the thing you're doing is mostly over.

The same thing applies to tormented souls, only it's even worse because on most fights you start with zero and some of them like Krosus you are almost entirely dependent on RNgesus - before anyonementions those imps you shouldn't get 'em! Affliction is balacned around having Reap up which means it is of necessity weak without Reap.

Which means it absolutely sucks at herosim-on-pull when you see everyone pulling much bigger numbers, particularly classes that have reliable on demand cooldowns they can align with it, even more warriors with their stupidly overpowered trinket (god knows why that hasn't been nerfed). Whilst the afflock sits there praying for soul toproc whilst casting Effigy and watching Agony ramp up. By the time it does Hero is done anyway. Same with po-on-pull, yay, our best dot doesn;t hit hard until a full ten seconds later.

Ramp is the issue. Affliction needs higher sustained damage to compensate, either that or a proper execute (again, warrior have that, so their damage goes way up at both ends of a fight)

Afflictin's poor start makes you feel bad in progression where you wipe before you can start to catch up, and it makes a kick froma PUg almost inevitable, when they wipe early several times and you get whispered "sorry your dps is too low"

Affliction is held hostage by it's artifact - the on kill mechanic sounded cool and in line with the fantasy aspec, in reality it sucks. It swings from useless in a no-add fight to wildly overpowered in a fight drowning in adds and it has lead to stupidities like the devs having to turn off functionality in some fights, so afflocks have to look upa guide to see whether adds are actually going to proc Wrath of Consumption or generate shards/souls

No one else's artifact works like that. Affliction is RNG pile on RNG piled on RNG, and guess what: the proposed T20 bonus is another one. As is Condordance.

It's ironic that so much of affliction's core design actually emphasises it's weaknesses.

I think the irresolvable problem is this: burst damage is good under all circumstances. Ramping damage over time is good under no circumstances and it is adequate only with things that have big enough health pools.There is no circumstance where ramping damage is better than burst, and a plethora of situation where burst is clearly superior. We don;t even have to have the equivalent to Omen anymore, at one time burst classes had to worry about over-threating the tanks.

Even the devs have said that damage-over-time is mor eor less obsolete and becoming very difficult indeed to keep relevant and useful in a game that is so much faster paces, and therefore biased in favour of burst.
    Last edited by mmoc7a6bdbfc72; 2017-03-07 at 10:43 AM.