Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How "fun" is Arms/Fury Warrior to play?

I am a casual player that is looking for a new class/spec i have not played in a loooong time. I wil not play way to much so i want a class i can log on to and have some fun on. How is the rotation? Teadious or fun? Is it rewarding? Not to complicated?

If you are looking just world quest/questing stuff, this might sound cliche, but it comes down to class fantasy. Do you want to be a brutal fast paced killing machine? Then go fury. Its rotation is simple, but fast paced with extreme short burst windows. You rotate two ~4 second cool downs, with a 1m CD that gives you 100% crit and a damage boost for 5 seconds. Fast and loud.

If you like the idea of a 2h tactitian, with planned strikes and brutal combos (with a pretty hefty amount of RNG) then try arms. You have procs that give you a few series of moves for brutal damage, followed by shallow periods of pooling a bit and waiting for procs. Calm, deliberate, deadly.

Both are very fun to play, and blizzard has done a great job in matching playstyles to class fantasy.

Personal opinion? Fury is out of the box fun and amazing. You have a decent self heal, very easy to play rotation, excellent visuals, and probably the most badass looking artifact in the game. You feel, look, and perform like a bload crazed killing machine. If you are looking for a low investment, immediately fun and capable class and spec, I recommend the fury warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like the guy said above, they both feel different in terms of 'class fantasy'. I'm even an RPer or anything. Fury is a badass berserker who rips things to shreds with big 2hs. Arms is a swordmaster who feels like he can fight anything.

In terms of what is more fun, I'd say Fury. Fury's rotation right now is a lot smoother than arms. Arms feels a little clunky with it's rage regeneration

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    I would say out of all the melee I've played somewhat in-depth to very in-depth (basically, everything but rogue... could never get into them for whatever reason), Fury Warrior is probably the most fun overall. Arms is okay, but is more deliberate, as the first guy said, whereas Fury actually feels like you are furiously bashing buttons and brains in.
    Beyond that, if you decided against warrior, DH has a fun little zippy playstyle, flying all around and hitting like a truck at times.
    If you want a more versatile melee, Monk is kinda fun, too, and gives you the option to tank or heal, though both of those specs are a little more demanding than other tank/healers.

Fury Warrior is a great jumping off point, though, so I would definitely recommend it.

Arms is similar to Gladiator, except Gladiator had no real RNG to cripple you. Droughts of Colossus Smash resets are miserable. It happens less than it used to, but it still occurs.

Fury as Frothing Berserker kinda sucks if you're not very geared or lacking certain items. I don't have Ceann-Ar, but I imagine it feels a lot better to play with it. I dislike the sitting at 96+ rage holding Rampage until you trigger FB at 100.
    Last edited by Eninya; 2017-02-17 at 08:54 PM.

Across my characters I have enhancement, fury, arms (duh), and feral. Fury is, by a mile, the most entertaining of any of them. YMMV

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Eninya View Post
    Arms is similar to Gladiator, except Gladiator had no real RNG to cripple you. Droughts of Colossus Smash resets are miserable. It happens less than it used to, but it still occurs.

Fury as Frothing Berserker kinda sucks if you're not very geared or lacking certain items. I don't have Ceann-Ar, but I imagine it feels a lot better to play with it. I dislike the sitting at 96+ rage holding Rampage until you trigger FB at 100.
    Slightly off topic, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but FB is a dps loss for me over Carnage, as I'm able to (seemingly) get more rampages out, thus more overall enraged up time. This is with Ceann-Air, Draught / Convergence trinkets

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Slightly off topic, and maybe I'm doing something wrong, but FB is a dps loss for me over Carnage, as I'm able to (seemingly) get more rampages out, thus more overall enraged up time. This is with Ceann-Air, Draught / Convergence trinkets
    Is that your sim, or your experience in practice?

Fury is very fun to play. I have always envisioned fury as a "Rolling ball of butcher knives" and I feel like they have finally nailed that. Fury at times can feel like you are the Tazmainan Devil carving people into little sushi rolls while holding two Excalibur's.

@melodramocracy you may want to re-sim yourself. If you are not taking Reckless Abandon + Frothing Beserker you are losing out on tons of free Draught of Souls damage. That buff should be up for every DoS's use so you are missing an extra 15%. I also have helm, DoS's, and Convergance. FB is far better damage because of how it works together with RA and the helm.

Fury is fun to play in any circumstance and viable for any kind of content (M+, raids, progression, etc.) while arms has been nerfed so much and is sooooo rng dependant that it's nothing more than frustration at all times.

Thank you guys so much for the info! Probably going to see how fury goes. One last question tho, how do they scale with gear?

Quote Originally Posted by Stened91 View Post
    Thank you guys so much for the info! Probably going to see how fury goes. One last question tho, how do they scale with gear?
    Both scale very well. Fury is especially potent in Nighthold so I'd definitely recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eninya View Post
    Is that your sim, or your experience in practice?
    Just against a test dummy so far. I'll sim them later on.

Sorry to piggyback the thread, but I'm also interested in warrior (well, fury). Everyone says it's fun, I've always liked the 'fantasy', and I'm a bit frustrated with my main WW's clunky AoE rotation.

What I'm worried about is just *how* easy it is. With the current talents (frothing, innner rage), it kinda looks like fury is simply managing your priority abilities (e.g. 100 rage rampage > raging blow > bloodthirst > slash filler), and using cooldowns wisely. Thing is, every class has to do that, but most also have resource management (monk, dk for example) for a bit more complexity.

Is there some complexity, choices that differentiate good fury warriors from bad ones, that I'm not seeing? I need there to be something in a spec that makes me better at it after 3 months of playing it than after the first day; something that gives a sense of mastery, if that makes sense.

Deleted
    I prefer the class fantasy of Arms over Fury but in terms of gameplay Fury is much more enjoyable for me personally.

Deleted
    Arms is honestly more fun than Fury, I agree with the above poster, that fury is literally the same rotation over and over, while Arms is alot more reactionary and "strategic". With that said, Arms do require some gear to be potent, where fury with little to no gear can do very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldfyr View Post
    Arms is honestly more fun than Fury, I agree with the above poster, that fury is literally the same rotation over and over, while Arms is alot more reactionary and "strategic". With that said, Arms do require some gear to be potent, where fury with little to no gear can do very well.
    Bullshit.

Arms has its own priority list and is repetitive, an exception is that there are two short term aspects to it's gaming experience: a) the way it should be, normalized RNG b) unlucky streaks when you can spend up to ~500 rage without a single tactician proc (~30s of no procs) = frustration and keeping up with tanks dps wise. There's nothing exceptionaly strategic about it, CD management is pretty much the same as with any other spec/class and you can't predict when you'll get any proc so it's basically the opposite of "strategic". Sure you can enjoy arms more than fury, i'm not judging although I can't imagine that happening if you actually played both specs while progressing at the very least heroic raids or farming high M+. Both specs require gear to "shine" - atm DoS is mandatory, it makes up to 20% of your dps (gg blizzscrubs), arms needs ~15% haste for various reasons and generally gears up way longer due to huge difference in stat weights while fury is crap below ~25% haste. I'm not sure about scaling, I think that with current system most specs scale better than arms since crit is a no-go to stat that is literally useless 20% of the time (and blizz insist on loading warriors sets with it) and haste is not really that good beyond some point + it has the most variance in dps of all specs. As for Fury I guess it scales nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by Prime92 View Post
    Bullshit.

Arms has its own priority list and is repetitive, an exception is that there are two short term aspects to it's gaming experience: a) the way it should be, normalized RNG b) unlucky streaks when you can spend up to ~500 rage without a single tactician proc (~30s of no procs) = frustration and keeping up with tanks dps wise. There's nothing exceptionaly strategic about it, CD management is pretty much the same as with any other spec/class and you can't predict when you'll get any proc so it's basically the opposite of "strategic". Sure you can enjoy arms more than fury, i'm not judging although I can't imagine that happening if you actually played both specs while progressing at the very least heroic raids or farming high M+. Both specs require gear to "shine" - atm DoS is mandatory, it makes up to 20% of your dps (gg blizzscrubs), arms needs ~15% haste for various reasons and generally gears up way longer due to huge difference in stat weights while fury is crap below ~25% haste. I'm not sure about scaling, I think that with current system most specs scale better than arms since crit is a no-go to stat that is literally useless 20% of the time (and blizz insist on loading warriors sets with it) and haste is not really that good beyond some point + it has the most variance in dps of all specs. As for Fury I guess it scales nicely.
    Replying to someone's op-ed post, in an op-ed thread, with "Bullshit" is rude and trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've recently changed my main from monk to DH and have been trying to leveling every class to 110. I can say thus far arms has been a pleasant surprise. I haven't tried fury as I've been playing too many dual wield specs and wanted to play a different play-style. I ended up enjoying arms more than ret paladins, which I wasn't expecting as the fantasy of playing ret seemed more appealing due to light magic. Warriors have great animations and the talents are really fun. So far I give then 7/10.

Why did you reroll from monk? I've heard nothing but good things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vycaus View Post
    Why did you reroll from monk? I've heard nothing but good things.
    My biggest complaint would be the talent choices are not very interesting. Which the biggest issue may be what I think a monk should be (see D3 monk) and this version of monk are completely different. Don't get me wrong I like their mobility and some of their core abilities are fun. It also seems like changing the mastery would involve changing a lot other abilities which didn't happen. DH are incredibly fun especially the momentum build and tanking is unique as well. If it wasn't for the DH I would probably still be a monk b/c of the time invested in it but right now warriors are just as fun to play.