Anyone with any experience with inflatable mattresses?

I am looking to replace my spring mattress with something that isn't tearing at the seems and loosing spring strength. But I also want to try something new.

How are inflatable mattresses these days? Any good ones that don't cost over $200?

I know I am probably barking up the wrong tree here, since this isn't a mattress forum, but I just thought I would ask.

Thank you.

7+ Year Old Account
    They last a couple months and then deflate and won't hold air. They are intended for occasional temporary use, not as a regular mattress. I have cats now so I couldn't even think about an inflatable mattress anyway. I did try using one for awhile, I would have to replace it every couple months. No, I didn't have cats then.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uh unless it's a temporary thing I would not recommend one at all. I use one occasionally when I go visit a friend's house and I always wake up with a sore neck/back. Hell of a lot better than sleeping on the floor but yeah, not a fun time. Mattresses are expensive but they're well worth the investment seeing as you spend a significant portion of your life in them. Might as well get something that isn't going to cause you pain in the long run.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well the Sleep Number beds have inflatable mattresses and they're absolutely wonderful to sleep on once you have the right Sleep Number dialed in, but they are incredibly expensive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Well the Sleep Number beds have inflatable mattresses and they're absolutely wonderful to sleep on once you have the right Sleep Number dialed in, but they are incredibly expensive.
    Yeah those things are bullshit...wife got sucked into the sales spiel at one of those sleep number mall outlets......half an hour later the guy is trying to sell us a $15,000 mattress.

We went and bought a tempur-pedic foam instead for about a fifth of the cost. Still an expensive mattress, but well worth it in the long run. We got the one with the ground up diamonds in the top layer so they leech heat out of your body and keep you cool all night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gillern View Post
    "IM LOOKING AT A THING I DONT LIKE, I HAVE THE OPTION TO GO AWAY FROM IT BUT I WILL LOOK MORE AND COMPLAIN ABOUT THE THING I DONT LIKE BECAUSE I DONT LIKE IT, NO ONE IS FORCING ME TO SEARCH FOR THIS THING OR LOOK AT THIS THING OR REMAIN LOOKING AT THIS THING BUT I AM ANYWAY, ITS OFFENDS ME! ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME!!!"
    Troof

Mattresses can get really spendy, but you can get ones for under $200 (new ones, of course). I did a quick search of my area (St. Cloud, MN ~60k ppl), and found three mattresses that were on sale for under $200. One was even $90 for a full size. Just the mattress, no other parts.

Quality of sleep and quality of product notwithstanding, those prices are amazing. I'm guessing any of those would outlive an inflatable.

Happy hunting, and good luck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try a waterbed or one of the foam mattresses.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    Try a waterbed or one of the foam mattresses.
    I'd recommend memory foam over a waterbed. Sure waterbeds are nice but they are way too prone to leaks and accidents.

15+ Year Old Account
    My wife and I slept on them for a couple years. We just bought them at JC Penny about once every 6 months. They only cost $30 at the time, so spending $90 over a little over a year and a half got us by pretty nicely. What's funny now is we have a sleep number bed which is essentially just two inflatable mattresses with an air pump attached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu
    Sure waterbeds are nice but they are way too prone to leaks and accidents.
    YMMV I used waterbeds for roughly 20 years -- with moves and cats -- and didn't have any problems with leaks or accidents. I lived in apartments and older homes during that time and didn't have any problems with a waterbed being too heavy either.

A basic waterbed is relatively affordable, and although filled with water it is related to OP's curiosity about an inflatable mattress. Since the water is heated, a waterbed can help keep one warm on cold nights, but turn the heat down and all that water is an effective heat sink that will help keep you cool in warmer weather. They aren't for everybody and it is reasonable to worry what might go wrong with all of that water, but that's also a reason that they come with a liner in the bed.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.