Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

Unhappy More video-games deserve co-op modes.

Hello champions! Good to see you.

I was thinking about this last night: I'm a big fan of multiplayer video-games, and I love playing games online with my friends. Usually we stick to the competitive stuff: Counter Strike, DotA 2, etc.

But frequently we wish to play something together: to cooperate. And as the time passes, less and less games have coop modes. Co-op campaigns? Even less. Good co-op, where your partners matter? Don't even get me started.

I'd really like to say that, no matter how good your competitive experience can be, I'll always prefer cooperation with my friends. Games like S.W.A.T 4, Portal 2, Divinity: Original Sin and others are awesome in co-op, and we need more of them in the market!

What is your opinion on this topic? Do you like co-op as much as I do?!

I'd love to see more co-op in RPGs! I can't think of a single RPG that had playable co-op for it's campaign/story.

More couch co-op in literally anything is welcomed here.

I feel like Nintendo is the only one to give big focus on it honestly, but that has no actual facts behind that statement, just a gutfeeling.

Halo 5 not having local split screen killed the halo brand for me. I beat every game on legendary with my brother since the first one and then they go do stupid uneccessary shit like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

i would love an elder scrolls or fallout with co-op. no place in the story for it, just have them serve as a companion does basically.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    I'd love to see more co-op in RPGs! I can't think of a single RPG that had playable co-op for it's campaign/story.
    Divinity 2 I think.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Absolutely agree, there were many games with a coop campaign in the 2006-2010 games selection, sometimes we stumble upon some games with good coop that has rather average or bad ratings (but were extremely fun in the coop campaign) for one or two euros on Steam. But some games really require some effort to get them to run a coop game as the original gaming platform has shut down.

Co-op, the seemingly forgotten form of multiplayer...

From the days of Double Dragon and TMNT 2/3 on the NES through the early Halo games and into CRPGs like Baldur's Gate and Neverwinter Nights. Loved all that stuff.

Biggest disappointment in gaming for me in the past 5ish years was when ESO was announced and that it would be a MMO. The look on my face that day would've convinced someone I had recently had a death in the family. I've clamored for co-op/LAN style multiplayer for an Elder Scrolls game since Morrowind, then that announcement hit and it was soul crushing. Pretty sure that's a big reason as to why I've never played that game.

Would love to see another CRPG in the vein of Neverwinter Nights: Campaign can be played solo or with friends, and with a toolset that allows players to create worlds of their own making, albeit with far more updated graphics. It'd have to retain some level of simplicity, though; despite how wonky the scripting would work (or at least in my experience trying to fiddle with it), Aurora was a fairly easy toolset to work with. I suppose I should look into Minecraft or something at this point, but I'm more for the adventuring and not the whole "I wanna build a house or such in game" thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Divinity 2 I think.
    That comes to my mind too, right away. It works, though the dialogue boxes can get sort of awkward, but then again, there's co-op decision making even.

As for more games, I mean, not every game needs co-op, just like every game doesn't need open world, or online play, or whatever other cliches they can throw into it :P

I would love some more co-op games, there just aren't enough. I'll second the gut feeling on Nintendo still trying to do this and generally succeeding when they try. Super Mario 3D world is a blast to play with 4 people, and naturally Mario Kart and the older Mario Party's.

I actually enjoy playing the Souls games with another person in the mix and really wish that was an official mode. Too bad they don't make a game more focused on playing as a duo, as duo-designed boss fights would be a blast. As it is most boss fights are a bit too easy with 2 since the boss tends to focus on one and the other person can wail on it.

open world games like the witcher and Far cry would benefit from it I think. I know far cry 3 had a co-op campaign but that was waaay more linear than the main game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian the Moofia Boss View Post
    FF3
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Divinity: 2
    Baldur's Gate Enh
    Baldur's Gate 2 Enh
    NWN Enh
    Dungeon Siege 3

But we always need more.
    Last edited by jackofwind; 2017-02-21 at 01:22 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    FF3
    Divinity: Original Sin
    Divinity: 2
    Baldur's Gate Enh
    Baldur's Gate 2 Enh
    NWN Enh
    Dungeon Siege 3

But we always need more.
    If you dive into JRPGs, "Tales of" games have multiplayer, it's just for combat only though.

Been hunting for co op games me and my GF could play online. Not a lot of choice out there

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd love to just see more awesome single player games that feel complete and satisfying when you beat them. Witcher 3 is a good example of an awesome single player game with HOURS of content and the best DLC distribution ever. I know it's been used many times already but it's just the best example to use. We never have much of those awesome single player experiences anymore because these days for some reason people think every fucking game needs multiplayer. I mean yeah it's fun to play with your friends but I just feel like nowadays that "playing with other people" mentality is being used way too much these days as an excuse to tack in a rushed, half-assed multiplayer mode that'll die off within a few months anyway.

I love co-op don't get me wrong (when you can actually get a game going that is) but I love great single player experiences even more. I don't know about some people but one of the reasons why I play video games so much is to just get away from people. I deal with people's bullshit everyday at work and coming home and immersing myself in a fantasy world is just the kind of escape I need. I don't need to be dealing with more bullshit like waiting for people to join just to have them quit right away (Gears of War 4 Horde mode) or people being a douchebag over the mic. I just want to be the guy saving a world from evil.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    More couch co-op in literally anything is welcomed here.

I feel like Nintendo is the only one to give big focus on it honestly, but that has no actual facts behind that statement, just a gutfeeling.
    Even Nintendo has been drifting away from it. The Switch looks to be majorly pushing for everyone to have their own Switch to play together by design, sort of like their actual handhelds. Though that's not entirely true for the launch line up so we'll have to see on the long term if that is what they'll push for truly.