Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ...
4
5
6
7
8
... LastLast
  1. #101
    Neat. Though I doubt it will be possible for humans to travel beyond this solar system... like ever.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  2. #102
    The Unstoppable Force Puupi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    22,975
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Neat. Though I doubt it will be possible for humans to travel beyond this solar system... like ever.
    Why do you doubt it?
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

  3. #103
    If we can ever figure out instantaneous communication, like with quantum entanglement or something similar, then it would be one way to overcome the limitations of how fast a human being's body can be accelerated. Space exploration will be done remotely, with human-shaped drones and virtual reality.

  4. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Who Knows.. In 500 years we may have a real "Miss Universe" contest.

    The Klingons will never win.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Neat. Though I doubt it will be possible for humans to travel beyond this solar system... like ever.
    That EM drive though...google that up, yo.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Akaihiryuu View Post
    Space is unimaginably vast. The speeds you have to go to get anywhere are mind boggling. The Asgard O'neill class ship was shown travelling over 200 light years *per second* while towing an Earth ship (Prometheus) in season 6 of SG-1. That works out to over 6 billion times c. It was implied that towing slowed them down significantly too. The Asgard have been shown to be able to go between galaxies in an hour before in the series. That's just mind bogglingly fast. Granted, they don't move in real space (their ships go through hyperspace), but still.

    I talked to someone once that believed the plot of Star Wars would work if the Millenium Falcon's top hyperspace speed was 0.5c.

    I always felt like Star Wars tech wasn't really that advanced. They just seemed to have mastered energy in such a way that it was meaningless. But, they seem to lack all kinds of modern tech that we have ourselves, even in the 1970s when it was made. But then, in other ways, they have things like C3-PO. It kinda doesn't make any sense. But, it makes more sense than Star Trek I guess.

  5. #105
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    How can you even begin to quantify this probability?




    The reason we are doing it this way, and the reason why it's not 'beyond ludicrous' or a 'waste of time and effort' is that you cannot search for something if you have no idea what you're looking for. We look for life like ours because we understand it well enough that we'll know it when we see it. Astronomical research isn't just looking at pictures, it requires data and interpretation of that data in light of what we know.
    We will know when we see it as long as it is identical to ours. How can I begin to quantify the probability? Look at the diversity in the life on our own planet. Look how drastically different it evolved just within the same planet under the same conditions. There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.

    Now take that, and toss in a different planet with an entirely different environment and it becomes more clear just how it could develop in a different way.

    Could they find life by going off a check list that was created by looking at humans and our planet? Sure. However, its not too likely given how it didn't happen on our own planet.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

  6. #106
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Why do you doubt it?
    I think we will be dead.
    "It's a big club. And you ain't in it. It is also the club they use to beat you with." - George Carlin

  7. #107
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,656
    So It seems people are using the wrong terms in this story.

    The sun has 7 earth sized planets that orbit it. Only 3 of them are earth like. (in the habitable zone)

  8. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    We will know when we see it as long as it is identical to ours. How can I begin to quantify the probability? Look at the diversity in the life on our own planet. Look how drastically different it evolved just within the same planet under the same conditions. There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.

    Now take that, and toss in a different planet with an entirely different environment and it becomes more clear just how it could develop in a different way.

    Could they find life by going off a check list that was created by looking at humans and our planet? Sure. However, its not too likely given how it didn't happen on our own planet.
    The point of asking you if you can quantify the probability was to make you aware of how silly it was for you to talk about probability and likelihoods. Also, the thing you're missing in your argument about the diversity of life on Earth is that all life on Earth is fundamentally similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

  9. #109
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I always felt like Star Wars tech wasn't really that advanced. They just seemed to have mastered energy in such a way that it was meaningless. But, they seem to lack all kinds of modern tech that we have ourselves, even in the 1970s when it was made. But then, in other ways, they have things like C3-PO. It kinda doesn't make any sense. But, it makes more sense than Star Trek I guess.
    What, because it doesn't look "advanced" ? I'll take the grit and power of a star destroyer in a fight over the "sleek" looking Enterprise-D any day.

    Just remember that in Star Wars, ships can go from one side of the galaxy to the other in just a few days, and are capable of building space stations that can destroy entire planets. They also are capable of super advanced concepts like planetary shields, FTL communication, etc. To say that they lack the modern tech that we have today is a completely stupid thing to say.

  10. #110
    Queen of Cake Splenda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Your coffee.
    Posts
    15,254
    I'm not expecting us to find life or anything, but I still think it's a really neat discovery. Good read.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

  11. #111
    I'm just glad to see that this is getting VERY popular on social media! In this time we need something positive that's science-based and rewards the exploration of knowledge. ^_^

  12. #112
    The EM drive could (in theory) evolve into something spectacular the way gunpowder was discovered, understood, and eventually refined into modern propellants. We can hardly imagine where the discovery will take us in the (distant) future.

  13. #113
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    So It seems people are using the wrong terms in this story.

    The sun has 7 earth sized planets that orbit it. Only 3 of them are earth like. (in the habitable zone)
    Which planets are earth sized again?

  14. #114
    The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    001100010010011110100001101101110011
    Posts
    20,656
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Which planets are earth sized again?

    All 7 are earth sized. 3 of the seven are in the habitable zone to have liquid water on the surface.

  15. #115
    The Lightbringer Cerilis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,181
    It must be a trap.

  16. #116
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    All 7 are earth sized. 3 of the seven are in the habitable zone to have liquid water on the surface.
    What are the names of the said planets and which 3 are in the habitable zone?

  17. #117
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    That's jumping way past conclusions here, because all they really know about the planets are their general location. Not even if they have water, elements to sustain life, or even some form of viable atmosphere.

    It's akin to saying that our solar system has 3 "earthlike planets", based on the relative size and distance to the star of venus, earth, and mars.
    Except out solar system does not have 3 "earthlike planets". 2 of the requirements are 1. the planet is a rocky planet, and 2. has liquid water.

    Neither Mars nor Venus have liquid water.

    The surface of Venus is extremely dry. During its evolution, ultraviolet rays from the sun evaporated water quickly, keeping it in a prolonged molten state. There is no liquid water on its surface today because the scorching heat created by its ozone-filled atmosphere would cause any to boil away.

    Mars is currently in the middle of an ice age, so liquid water cannot exist on its surface at the present time. However, the planet seems to have been warmer and wetter in the past.

  18. #118
    I am Murloc! Atrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    What are the names of the said planets and which 3 are in the habitable zone?
    Trappist 1-e, Trappist 1-f, Trappist 1-g.

  19. #119
    Legendary! Logwyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Dagobah
    Posts
    6,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Trappist 1-e, Trappist 1-f, Trappist 1-g.
    Who I quoted said "the sun". Not the other stars. Confusion abounds!

  20. #120
    I am Murloc! Atrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    5,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    Who I quoted said "the sun". Not the other stars. Confusion abounds!
    I think in this instance, the person was talking about Trappist-1, as they mentioned it having 7 Earth-sized planets.
    Sol has 8 planets, only two of which would be considered "Earth-sized", although Venus, Earth and Mars all exist within the "habitable zone".

    "the sun" is kind of misleading though, but the context clues are there...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •