Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyalo View Post
    I've always thought the post count is a weird requirement (it excludes me).

I don't think you need to be an active poster to moderate, enough hours lurking/reading to last me a lifetime.
    It makes sense when you consider why we have it:

First, it gives us a gauge in which to see a user's attitude, posting behaviour, and understanding of the rules and atmosphere of the forum. It also allows us to see someone's long term activity as a regular contributor to the site, to avoid someone who just shows up periodically and blasts a bunch of posts before disappearing for a month. It provides us with a way to separate out people who are rude to other users verses the users who are helpful, who is eloquent and a good communicator or who is incoherent. It is super important for us to see how potential moderators interact with other members of the community. While this isn't a perfect metric for judging someone, it's really the only reasonable one we can use. We can't do any of that with someone who barely posts.

Second, we want moderators who are actively involved in the site and the community. Sure, you don't need posts to strictly moderate but being a mod here is about more than just infractions and bans. We want mods who are credible within the community and who are capable of guiding discussion and leading by example. We want regular posters to be familiar with who the moderator team is and don't want to surprise the boards with people they've never seen post suddenly being in charge. All of this requires them to be an active poster. Reading is great, opting not to post if you don't have anything worthwhile to contribute is great, but there's no way for the mod team or the users reading the board to differentiate between someone who is doing that and someone who is just never around.

Given all that, I think the post count requirements are reasonable (most average out to less than one post a day which is basically nothing) and we have adjusted many of them over time to fit the activity level for that forum; things like class forums will always require less posts than, say, GenOT.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by GothamCity View Post
    @Celista do it.
    I applied a couple of months ago and they never replied. Also I have an active infraction now, it was a misunderstanding though. The mod thought I was calling someone a name when I wasn't, I'm in a grad program for psychology and was speculating whether someone had autism...I never got around to contesting it so shrug.

Please stop hiring condescending mods that ban people for swearing but never give warnings to passive aggressive trolls who hide behind soft language, but are really more toxic and flaming than someone who says "fag".

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    you dont have to be "nice" to be a mod, you just need to know that you are at a job and cant let your "not nice" show... also you need to leave your bias at the door
    Never said I was biased. I said people would CLAIM I was.

Still, I have a lot of respect for the people who volunteer to mod any decently sized forums. The amount of trolling and other petty nonsense that goes on would test my patience. So someone that can do it for any length of time and not lose their temper has my deep respect.

I get enough irritation from people in real life. The last thing I need is to come home to deal with it on a fan forum as a volunteer job. At least as a normal poster I can just put people on ignore, or walk away.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-02-27 at 10:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is not the place to complain about moderation. Appeal infractions if you feel they aren't justified, contact globals if you have specific complaints.

Thanks.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Applied but I don't think it will go anywhere. Hope Monalisa will take the scepter again!

10+ Year Old Account
    good luck chums

10+ Year Old Account
    Good luck to all of those who apply.

my app was pretty bad, i was on my phone riding the train home and it kept cutting out so i made it short thinking i could edit it later :S

That sounds like a fun gig. Good luck to whoever gets to moderate Jaylock, as it would be fair to say that no one has ever entirely succeeded in doing so.

10+ Year Old Account
    my app was pretty bad, i was on my phone riding the train home and it kept cutting out so i made it short thinking i could edit it later :S
    Don't worry. Application is nice, but we put FAR more weight on your posts and posting habits and how you interact with others. I can't think of any applicants we ever approved or denied based on their application alone.

Also, good luck to those applying! I've heard from a reliable source that there are cookies...

Join ussss

*cough*

I mean, good luck all!

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Also, good luck to those applying! I've heard from a reliable source that there are cookies...
    There's definitely pictures of cookies.
    And talk of cookies.

Might as well be cookies.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Don't worry. Application is nice, but we put FAR more weight on your posts and posting habits and how you interact with others. I can't think of any applicants we ever approved or denied based on their application alone.

They better be chocolate chip. I wanna make desert pizzas!

Cream cheese and sugar whipped together into icing. Put onto the flat side of a cookie. Then a sliced strawberry on top. Best desert ever

Horrible phone auto correct. Dessert....

They better be chocolate chip. I wanna make desert pizzas!

Cream cheese and sugar whipped together into icing. Put onto the flat side of a cookie. Then a sliced strawberry on top. Best desert ever

Horrible phone auto correct. Dessert....
    I wondered about that. NEW! Desert Pizza! Sun-dried tomatoes! Crispiest crust ever! You'll feel the warmth of our all-natural ovens at our new location, now with sandy beaches! xD

Jaylock apply!!
    "I have friends, many friends. I have friends in China, India, Russia." "I will make deals, lots of deals. I'm good at making deals. Deals, deals, deals."

Quote Originally Posted by Kul Tiras View Post
    Please stop hiring condescending mods that ban people for swearing but never give warnings to passive aggressive trolls who hide behind soft language, but are really more toxic and flaming than someone who says "fag".
    Or you know follow the forums rules and you won't be infracted or banned?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I applied a couple of months ago and they never replied. Also I have an active infraction now, it was a misunderstanding though. The mod thought I was calling someone a name when I wasn't, I'm in a grad program for psychology and was speculating whether someone had autism...I never got around to contesting it so shrug.
    I applied ages ago to. Still waiting on that although I doubt anything will come of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Applications usually take a few months out of necessity between original submission and response.

| twitch | bsky
    |

Best of luck to those applying

I'd moderate the shit out of this place.

Good luck for those who apply.

I'll let the moderator team call me when they are in need of my services.

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    Applications usually take a few months out of necessity between original submission and response.
    my birthday is may 27th... maybe around then >u>?