Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Exclamation MMO-Champion Forum Moderator Recruitment - Q&A Thread

MMO-Champion Forum Moderator Recruitment

We’re looking for dedicated MMO-Champion users to help moderate our site forums. Mods ensure that forum posts meet site guidelines, and they help to protect users from harassment. If you’re interested in joining our moderation team, please review the requirements below.

Before applying, please make sure:

• You plan to stay active. We’re looking for passionate individuals who plan to stick around for awhile.
    • You can access Slack. Our moderators use Slack to keep in touch, and it’s imperative that you use it for team communication. Never used Slack before? We can help you set it up!
    • You're a quality poster. Please be an active, meaningful contributor that’s familiar with MMO-Champion’s forum climate and rules. Rest assured - we’ll thoroughly review your forum activity and post frequency.

Meet all of the above guidelines? Great! Use this simple form to apply. Your application will be listed for review, and our lovely Scrapbot will PM you if you’re refused or accepted. If you’re accepted, we’ll reach out with more information - and cake cookies.

Have any additional questions about the application process? Please post them in the thread below!

Please note that this thread is for Q&A about the application or moderation process and is not for moderation complaints.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-08-19 at 07:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

Faq

Mod App FAQ

Q. I don't have enough posts in a forum, what is required?
    A. Because we want moderators to be active and credible members of the community, each forum has post count requirements in order to qualify. Most forums require applicants to have 100 posts in the past 90 days in that forum - a little over one post a day. Bigger forums might require more posts (150 to 300) while smaller forums may require less (50 to 75)

Q. Why is there a post count requirement?
    For two primary reasons: First, it ensures that the user is an active member of the forum. Second, it gives us a means at which to judge that user's attitude, understanding of the rules, and eloquence. For more elaboration, check this post.

Q. How much time does moderation take?
    A. If you're an active poster, moderating a forum should only add a little bit of time to your regular routine on the site.

Q. What duties does moderation entail?
    A. Moderators' primary function is to facilitate constructive discussion between our users. Mods are also in charge of keeping the forums clean of spam, keep stickies updated, participate in ban/infraction appeals, and otherwise help around the site.

Q. What do you look for when reviewing applications?
    A. We look for good posters who contribute meaningful posts, are familiar with the forum climate and rules, and know how to handle themselves in a constructive and civil fashion. We do look at your history prior to applying so it's important that you've displayed these qualities consistently over a long period of time.

Q. Will having past infractions disqualify me from applying?
    A. Past infractions won't hurt you if they're minor infractions and/or you’ve shown improvement since them. However, severe infractions or recent/active infractions will be considered when reviewing your application and may negatively impact you. You can find elaboration here.

Q. When will I hear back on my application?
    A. If you applied during a recruitment wave, you will probably hear back within a month or two. Applying outside of a recruitment wave could take a bit longer. We're sorry for the wait but unfortunately it's an unavoidable part of the process.

Q. Where do you need mods?
    A. We are always accepting applicants to all forums. Even if a particular subforum alrady has a lot of moderators, we'd rather take extra than pass up a good candidate.

Q. Are moderators compensated?
    A. No, the team is made up of volunteers who do this because they care about the site and the community. Because this is a volunteer position, mods work on their own schedule when they are available to help without any demands or requirements to keep certain hours.

Q. Why don't you get mods for section X or timezone Y?
    A. We want our mod team to encompass a variety of regions and timezones and we want solid coverage across the whole forums. However, we need good users to apply for those forums before we can promote them. That's why we do recruitment pushes like this. Feel free to encourage quality posters you see to apply.

Q. How long are applications being accepted for?
    A. We are perpetually accepting applications for good mods, and you can apply at any time. However, if you apply outside of a recruitment wave your application may take longer to get reviewed. It might be a good idea to send a private message to a global moderator to let them know you've applied so we know to check the app queue in that instance.

Ask appropriate questions in this thread and I'll update this post with frequent questions.
    Last edited by Tziva; 2021-08-20 at 07:33 PM. Reason: added more info

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoramier of Lordaeron View Post
    One day i will become mod and all those on this forum who ridicule me will pay
    I just don't think this forum can handle your awesomeness Bjoramier. I think Moderation would be just too much. <3

7+ Year Old Account
    hey maybe i should apply ;p
    Quote Originally Posted by Varodoc View Post
    My ideas are objectively good

@Celista do it.
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

@Archmage Kalec Yo dawg, you talked about this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Douchebag View Post
    @Archmage Kalec Yo dawg, you talked about this.
    Thanks broski! A very thoughtful mention.

Quote Originally Posted by Archmage Kalec View Post
    Thanks broski! A very thoughtful mention.
    I got you fam.

Please stay on topic. If you want someone to apply to be a moderator, PM them.

I'm the mod these forum deserve.

Deleted
    How much will you pay me?

Is there Taco Tuesday?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    How much will you pay me?

Is there Taco Tuesday?
    Zero dollars, and we revere tacos every day here at MMO-C.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I'll take it!

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    zero thats more then i make at my current job? hmmm that sounds fair pay, i will do it ;3

New thread? Nice!

Best of luck to all applicants!

7+ Year Old Account
    i applied for the hell of it, most likley wont get it cause i talk too much :P

I'd apply, but I guarantee people would claim I was biased. XD

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'm on a few people's ignore list already. Hahahah! I can hear people's sounds of disgust already just at the thought of me being a mod.
    Last edited by SirCowdog; 2017-02-27 at 08:49 PM.

Deleted
    I've always thought the post count is a weird requirement (it excludes me).

I don't think you need to be an active poster to moderate, enough hours lurking/reading to last me a lifetime.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'd apply, but I guarantee people would claim I was biased. XD

EDIT: Oh, and I'm pretty sure I'm on a few people's ignore list already. Hahahah! I can hear people's sounds of disgust already just at the thought of me being a mod.
    you dont have to be "nice" to be a mod, you just need to know that you are at a job and cant let your "not nice" show... also you need to leave your bias at the door

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Well, on top of seeing that you are actually active on the forums, I imagine that they also want to see what type of poster you are and how you deal with others. You don't want to blindly go into picking a Moderator.
    Oh I agree , and probably wouldn't apply (I like being able to voice strong opinions) - Just thought the requirement is odd.