Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Is Nighthold too easy on melee dps?

So I've played both roles throughout Nighthold now and I must say that melee have a much easier time as far as mechanics goes, perhaps too easy?

Given how many raids crap on melee throughout the years I think a raid where the melee don't have any worse mechanics than the ranged probably is about time.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's usually the case in my experience, melee has to deal with shitty positioning and such (when the boss has cleaves/breath/centered AoE etc)
    ranged actually have to do mechanics.

Yes, legion raids are very melee friendly. It's beyond me why raid leaders keep prioritizing ranged > melee...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulfric Trumpcloak View Post
    Yes, legion raids are very melee friendly. It's beyond me why raid leaders keep prioritizing ranged > melee...
    because even if theyre more friendly to melee than normal, theres still some times when they have to move for a mechanic, and its a dps loss

10+ Year Old Account
    Because when you have too many melee they suddenly have to deal with ranged mechanics they normally wouldn't have, not to mention the stigma attached to melee for the last however many years.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xkiller9000 View Post
    because even if theyre more friendly to melee than normal, theres still some times when they have to move for a mechanic, and its a dps loss
    I would argue that depends on the situation. Ranged players have to move a lot more than melee in general and can´t maintain even half of their usual dps while doing so.

And actually, I dont see that prioritization that much anymore, the only thing nobody wants a melee for is skittish m+ ^^

Deleted
    yeah and that is a good thing. Atleast for progress and peace of mind.

In general melee players are, in terms of maturity, patience and skill, inferior to their range counterparts.

It is a bit on the extreme side in LEGION and especially Nighthold that ranges have to do all the work while melees are tunneling the boss, but that is only logical considering how easy it is to perform well as a melee, to churn out good dps compared to range players.

Some bosses are a bit too much like Gul'Dan, mythic trilliax and a few others where it basically comes down to : "melee players you can hurr durr the boss while the range players master all the mechanics and make sure we don't wipe on the boss".
    Sadly on some bosses like Botanist it happens too often that melee players are getting hit by the lashers while they are drooling on their keyboard, but thankfully Blizzard realized that with LEGION and the introduction of a new melee class, the Demon Hunter, that a very big majority of the "noobs" are ultimately drawn to that new shiny immature "I am so cool I am illidan" class that they made sure the biggest parts of the difficulties that raiding holds are best left for the range players.

Overall I think Blizzard did a good job. Sure it is annoying as a range player to carry those guys, but I would rather have it the way it currently is compared to a world where we need to rely on melees playing properly.
    I for one am happy that Blizzard, and also raidleaders, are letting the melees do what they do best. Tunneling the boss and delight themselves over the damage meters where they always take the top spots for reasons beyond their comprehensive abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Measure View Post
    So I've played both roles throughout Nighthold now and I must say that melee have a much easier time as far as mechanics goes, perhaps too easy?
    If you only play in lfr and normal than yes, you are right, otherwise, you are wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Conflux View Post

In general melee players are, in terms of maturity, patience and skill, inferior to their range counterparts.

It is a bit on the extreme side in LEGION and especially Nighthold that ranges have to do all the work while melees are tunneling the boss, but that is only logical considering how easy it is to perform well as a melee, to churn out good dps compared to range players.

Some bosses are a bit too much like Gul'Dan, mythic trilliax and a few others where it basically comes down to : "melee players you can hurr durr the boss while the range players master all the mechanics and make sure we don't wipe on the boss".
    Sadly on some bosses like Botanist it happens too often that melee players are getting hit by the lashers while they are drooling on their keyboard, but thankfully Blizzard realized that with LEGION and the introduction of a new melee class, the Demon Hunter, that a very big majority of the "noobs" are ultimately drawn to that new shiny immature "I am so cool I am illidan" class that they made sure the biggest parts of the difficulties that raiding holds are best left for the range players.

Overall I think Blizzard did a good job. Sure it is annoying as a range player to carry those guys, but I would rather have it the way it currently is compared to a world where we need to rely on melees playing properly.
    I for one am happy that Blizzard, and also raidleaders, are letting the melees do what they do best. Tunneling the boss and delight themselves over the damage meters where they always take the top spots for reasons beyond their comprehensive abilities.
    haha fucking post of the year.

so much truth in it

This ^

OT: I definitely enjoy the raid more on my ranged characters because of this, but after many years of World of Rangecraft I'm okay with it.
    The proper waifu is a wholesome supplement for one's intrinsic need for belonging and purpose.

My experience has been the total opposite. Alot of range i come across stare at their damage meters and bitch about any type of movement to the point of " Not gonna move i got muh rune of power down heal me threw it" or hunters who cant seem to understand if something is dropping 30 yards from the boss and it needs to be soaked they should do it and not force the rogue to pop sprint to run over and do it because the hunter wants to tunnel dps.

It has been my experience throughout many guilds and raids from original MC to now that while it tends to be split number wise to maybe even a few more bad melee then ranged. The ranged tend be far more in your face about ignoring mechanics because they got to focus on their deeps.

10+ Year Old Account

Thread after thread you prove how delusional you are. Like, wow

You heard it here first guys. Ranged players have more patience, skill and maturity than melee players. I've heard how good you are as a player is also affected by the position of the moon at birth, what year the Chinese calendar is in AND the score of your first spelling test in 5th grade. Take note

Quote Originally Posted by Ji-tae View Post
    haha fucking post of the year.

so much truth in it
    More like salty tears. "Hurr durr, melee ale noobs, hurr durr ranged are pros that have to deal with mechanics!" And ofc ignore all the ranged noobs that are failing on mechanics, they clearly are also melees.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seliar View Post
    If you only play in lfr and normal than yes, you are right, otherwise, you are wrong.
    Except that even on mythic bosses in Nighthold melees can ignore some mechanics and in some cases are even encouraged to because melee DPS dominates currently.

7+ Year Old Account

Nahhhhhh brah...
    "I don't contemplate, I meditate, then off your fucking head" -Kendrick Lamar
    "If you have no sauce, then you're lost. But, you can also get lost in the sauce."-Gucci Mane
    "I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"-Colonel Sanders

I don't play melee but I do play Holy Paladin which is classified as melee in Legion, so I pretty much can tell you that they have it easiest, which is a nice change to be honest...cause Melee has been screwed over on many raids in the past.

Deleted
    I accept that you melee players are disagreeing with me and I understand how the self-protection-mechanism works and everyone wants to present themselves in the best possible light.
    And this is no popularity vote since there are a lot more melee classes in this game. Those are simple and true facts.

I know that there are good melee players and bad range players aswell, but one exception doesn't make a rule.

Deleted

This falls in line with my experience so far in Legion. Thanks for the humour also

People playing melee and afraid to lose uptime on boss... I play a shadow priest, the only thing I can do while moving is spam a dot.

Oh, How I wish melee had to optimize their movement to only take place in gcd in high mythic raiding. Hurrdurr tunnel boss while moving

As the majority of dps swings to melee it gets awful crowded and abilities that don't normally target melee do and the healers are harassed by them 100% of the time.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."