Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 9 of 48 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    They also had out of this world defense last season, like top 10 all-time, but this season they're back to league average or so.
    And they have had no control of the running game.

Bryant has been OK, as has been mentioned, their leadoff hitter was batting under .170

So many things went right last year, regression was to be expected, its just been a little greater than anticipated.

You have a weird definition of terrible, he's still on pace for 5+ WAR and nearly .900 OPS/135 OPS+. His RBI total is low because it looks like he'll have about 100 less runners on in front of him this season (if I'm reading it right on bref).
    I don't pay attention to saber metrics. 16 homers and 33 RBI is garbage. (ok, the homers are alright). That's some Curtis Granderson level of garbage.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    I don't pay attention to saber metrics. 16 homers and 33 RBI is garbage. (ok, the homers are alright).
    Seems weird to admit to being uninformed and that you base your opinions on that, but ok.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good showing for Cody Bellinger, third straight year a Dodger rookie was in the Derby and they all did well.

Judge made Stanton look like a baby tonight. The dude is on a league of his own, would love see him hit 50+ this season.

do you guys make anything of the theories floating around about the baseball being off or 'juiced'? ive heard one interview where a pitcher stated he could tell a difference in the grip/seams of the ball between AAA and majors (after being sent down and called back up) along with the HR numbers we are seeing this year and last to an extent. Im highly doubtful myself. hitters took a big step back post PED and I just think we are seeing a slump in over all pitching with hitters getting back on track as well.

article for reference:
    https://theringer.com/2017-mlb-home-...l-155cd21108bc
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uns/440203001/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KOMO1211 View Post
    do you guys make anything of the theories floating around about the baseball being off or 'juiced'? ive heard one interview where a pitcher stated he could tell a difference in the grip/seams of the ball between AAA and majors (after being sent down and called back up) along with the HR numbers we are seeing this year and last to an extent. Im highly doubtful myself. hitters took a big step back post PED and I just think we are seeing a slump in over all pitching with hitters getting back on track as well.

article for reference:
    https://theringer.com/2017-mlb-home-...l-155cd21108bc
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...uns/440203001/
    stats indicate they are juiced. balls have been hit off the bat at a higher velocity since last all star break. pitchers and catchers stating they "feel" different. I honestly think they are. pitchers aren't all going to slump at once. with all the (bad) methods the MLB has gone to get a bigger audience, it seems like something they'd do.

sure as shit hasn't helped at safeco though. that warning track vacuum is still doing its job.

Seems weird to admit to being uninformed and that you base your opinions on that, but ok.
    If it's not on the stat sheet, it doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    If it's not on the stat sheet, it doesn't count.
    No one can stop you from being willfully ignorant, or being some dinosaur that thinks RBI determines player value. The good news is you're just reading what I type so it would be less noticeable than if I were talking since I would talk much slower to you than anyone else, I suppose I will have to use smaller words though and that could be apparent.

Anyway, the reason to pay attention to scary voodoo numbers is because otherwise we might ignorantly compare Granderson, a $15mil 1.0 WAR player with Bryant, a $1mil 3.0 WAR player and think they were similar and most of us don't want to look that stupid.

10+ Year Old Account
    mariner does thing in all star game

cool

10+ Year Old Account
    I got my hopes up at the end, Bellinger had a HR against Miller earlier this year, both his losses are against the Dodgers, alas, couldn't do it this time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cubs traded for Jose Quintana with 4 top prospects.

Well I hope nobody wanted a starting pitcher for a reasonable price.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats a tough trade, I had been hearing ridiculous rumors that they wanted to trade for Fulmer, an all-star, and their offer was Schwarber, a .178 hitter. It was so dumb I don't know why journalist would print it when I wouldn't even type it.

Quintana was one of the biggest names on the trade block and the Cubs beat everybody else to the punch, it cost them, but it might help save their season.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just glad the cubs beat any AL team to the punch on that one.

- - - Updated - - -

Sounds like the Yankees are losing Pineda to TJ surgery. Hes getting a 2nd opinion, but he has a UCL tear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Puig hit a couple of HR Derby worthy shots today, one 450ft off the back windows and another to center off of that horrible fountain.

oh, just saw it again, actually hit a camera about 10 feet in front of the windows, my bad

- - - Updated - - -

Now Bellinger hits for the cycle, RotY has long since been decided in both leagues.
    Last edited by draynay; 2017-07-15 at 05:48 AM.

I highly doubt Fulmer will be traded because he is cheap for a number of years still. They are trying to unload contracts to cut down the spending because Mike Illitch put a lot into the team to try to win the world series. Now that his son (much more of a Red Wings than Tigers guy) is running the team I highly doubt it will be ran at a loss if possible, but in order to get people to show up to games they need someone worth watching.

JD Martinez, Greene, Justin Wilson, Alex Wilson and Avila are probably the most likely to be traded. Verlander, Upton, Miggy and Victor Martinez have been talked about in trade rumors but their contracts will make it really hard to move them. Would be nice if someone wants Castellanos for some reason too, but that is doubtful.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Cubs traded for Jose Quintana with 4 top prospects.

Well I hope nobody wanted a starting pitcher for a reasonable price.
    In reality it was just one top prospect, plus one prospect ranked in the ~90s who best case scenario is a decent bullpen arm or 4th/5th starter, plus 2 unranked prospects no one knows anything about. Considering we lost our best prospect (better than the one just traded) for a half year of Chapman last year, 1.5 top prospects for 3.5 years of Quintana seems like a great bargain. Especially if he can dominate for the rest of the season because most of the NL players haven't faced him much.

10+ Year Old Account
    post all star break mariners are fun to watch.

10+ Year Old Account
    well shit, the most logical trade target for the Dodgers just went to the Dbags

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    well shit, the most logical trade target for the Dodgers just went to the Dbags
    I didn't know the rockies fell far enough to make the dbags be buyers.