Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 33 of 49 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Hang around middle class white guys over 60 in a male sports setting and you'll hear it. Not saying it's right, but also saying that they're not all evil. And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always. It's a big deal if younger folks are still saying it and think it's ok.

Also, if it's your opinion, don't use the words "fact" and "incorrect". Say you disagree. The definition of "incorrect" is "not in accordance with fact". It's not a word you use to express an opinion. If you use words correctly it's easier to convey your meaning.

As to the homerun call... they cut away from him so I just assumed that they were expecting him to make the call. I thought it was fairly sincere and well spoken. Most of these apologies are scripted out but his (obviously) had to be done live. I think people are just looking for any reason to think worse of the guy. He obviously took it seriously and said he was aware that he might be fired... how is that not taking it seriously?
    I'm a member of the Bills Mafia. I have season tickets to one of the most blue collar fanbases in football, and my family has had them for 30 years. I'm surrounded by blue collar middle class white guys over 60 8 Sundays a year, and guess what, everyone I know and who is my friend is a middle class white guy (and all their fathers are over 60).

I still don't hear that shit. Even in Buffalo.

Maybe it's prevalent among your friends.....but guess what: I think that is abhorrent, horrific, etc, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always.
    Didn't intend for it to be used openly? Private settings? Regardless of whether he knew his mic was on, he was at fucking WORK. This wasn't some guy sitting with his buddies in his living room who accidentally broadcasted his thoughts to the world.

Even most people who do use slurs aren't dumb enough to go throwing them around at their job. Only an absolute moronic shithead would do that. And the fact that he said it so casually means this almost certainly wasn't the first time he's done it, just the first time on a hot mic.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

10+ Year Old Account
    Kyle Lewis is making this terrible season tolerable to watch. Just need a bullpen and this team might be something in a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Kyle Lewis is making this terrible season tolerable to watch. Just need a bullpen and this team might be something in a few years.
    Seems like Seager to Atlanta for some of their pitching would work for both teams. And Kelenic should be in center next year, right?

My post about the Pirates aged really well as they swept the Brewers this weekend.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Seems like Seager to Atlanta for some of their pitching would work for both teams. And Kelenic should be in center next year, right?

My post about the Pirates aged really well as they swept the Brewers this weekend.
    I will take anything for Seager at this point but I doubt anybody is gonna bite on that contract, even with him becoming slightly better after slimming down. Thats a guy that was murdered by shifting. Should be, I wana see Julio Rodriguez too but that may be 2022. Losing a MILB season is gonna suck for us.

Following the lead of their NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, the Brewers will forfeit and sit out their game tonight:

https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/stat...42559326511104

May be a larger sign of things to come, in the NBA the Bucks sitting out their game led to 3 other teams declaring the same, and ultimately the postponement of all NBA games today. But baseball is far less politically active than the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Following the lead of their NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, the Brewers will forfeit and sit out their game tonight:

May be a larger sign of things to come, in the NBA the Bucks sitting out their game led to 3 other teams declaring the same, and ultimately the postponement of all NBA games today. But baseball is far less politically active than the NBA.
    And yet they pathetically caved also. In a time where Americans went so long without sports, is it a good idea to "boycott" a game? There will be no boycott on Friday, it's Jackie Robinson day. If they are that committed, they would boycott that day too. But they won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Welp Dipoto just fleeced the Padres. Seager is definitely on the block now too.

Odds historically favor the team with the best run differential (runs scored minus runs allowed) in its league to reach the world series. In fact, 4 of the last 6 teams to end the regular season with the best run differential won a pennant. Only the 2019 Dodgers and 2017 Indians failed to win pennants in the last 3 years.

Currently, the Dodgers have the best RD in the NL and the Indians have the best RD in the AL.

There have been 8 world series played this century where neither team won RD in its league: 2015, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2001

The odds favor at least one of them appearing in the world series.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    Currently, the Dodgers have the best RD in the NL and the Indians have the best RD in the AL.
    The Dodgers are running away with the run differential lead in the NL, but the Rays and White Sox are within 4 of Cleveland so that's still up in the air. I was going to say Cleveland has the advantage of playing against poor pitching teams like Detroit and KC, but then I saw what the Red Sox are doing. Holy crap is their pitching bad this season (and KC's pitching really isn't all that bad, it's their hitting that's awful).

It looks like the Mets are finally getting sold.

Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    Odds historically favor the team with the best run differential (runs scored minus runs allowed) in its league to reach the world series. In fact, 4 of the last 6 teams to end the regular season with the best run differential won a pennant. Only the 2019 Dodgers and 2017 Indians failed to win pennants in the last 3 years.

There have been 8 world series played this century where neither team won RD in its league: 2015, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2001

The odds favor at least one of them appearing in the world series.
    Things have drastically changed since this post. The Indians cannot win a game and the White Sox have rattled off win after win. The White Sox now have the AL's best record and the best RD in the AL. The odds now favor a White Sox / Dodgers world series.

- - - Updated - - -

Indians have gone from possibly the best team in the AL to the 8th and final playoff spot with a chance to completely miss the playoffs. They are 4 games ahead of the Mariners and 4.5 ahead of the Tigers. The Tigers probably have a better shot because they play the Indians 4 times and the pathetic Royals 4 times, with just 2 games against the Twins rounding it out.

The best run differential in the AL turned out to be a tie between the Rays and White Sox. That's never happened before. I guess I would make them co-favorites to win the pennant. Dodgers win the RD title in the NL and are the pennant favorite there. Again, this isn't a guarantee, its just that the team that wins the RD title in its league has a better than 50% chance of winning the pennant.

10+ Year Old Account
    White Sox were the first AL team to clinch and they hit the skids and dropped all the way to the #7 seed, I think they ceded any co-favorite status.

Dodgers were on a 116 win pace. I doubt they would have won 116, but that's how good they were over 60.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    116 wins is cursed. You don't want that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tried to watch some of Giolito's 6 perfect innings but the ESPN cocksuckers had to start gushing over how good George Springer was in 2017. We get it ESPN, you love cheating and cheaters.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope Nelson Cruz shoves a bat up the Astros ass tomorrow. Fuck the Astros.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    White Sox were the first AL team to clinch and they hit the skids and dropped all the way to the #7 seed, I think they ceded any co-favorite status.

Dodgers were on a 116 win pace. I doubt they would have won 116, but that's how good they were over 60.
    A casual glance at recent history suggests that teams that enter the playoffs either with a long win streak or winning at least 8 of their last 10 have an elevated chance at winning the pennant. The Rays and Dodgers not only led their leagues in RD but entered the playoffs winning 8 of their last 10. We will see how that plays out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aaand the twins choked... again.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Aaand the twins choked... again.
    We might see today all 7 Central teams get knocked out in the first round.