Thread: 2020 MLB thread

Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ...
25
33
34
35
36
37
... LastLast
  1. #681
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    How dare someone on the internet disagree with you.
    Lol... I don't have any problem with someone disagreeing with me. I have a problem with someone calling their opinion "fact" and calling mine "incorrect".

    I also have a problem with someone who twists my statement in order to make me look bad - which is what you just did.

  2. #682
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    I agree that it was bad, and I have no problem with not accepting the apology, and no problem with firing him. I do have a problem with turning him into a demon. When you say that it's the truest barometer of who you are - you're right that it is the truest barometer of what you say, but words mean different things to different people and I don't think that this one word means that he's an irredeemably homophobic person - I think it means he didn't realize the effect that his words would have on other people. A lot of people use terms privately for shock value that they would never use publicly (I know you're going to ask this, so no, I don't do that). I haven't heard anyone use the "n" word basically ever, but the word Brennaman used is still regretfully pretty widely used.

    I think this means that he's a person who needed (badly) to learn a lesson about tolerance and what words are appropriate to say. I'm the furthest thing from a homophobe, I have a member of my immediate family who is openly gay and I love him dearly. But I'm also a forgiving person and I'm willing to say that one word that shows a person at their absolute worst doesn't necessarily reflect who they are.
    He called a city "the fag capitol" of the world. How is that "words meaning different things" and that him using it in that context doesn't mean he's homophobic? That's like, the biggest stretch ever.

    As for you a) omitting the homerun call in the middle of his apology, and b) later excusing it as "professionalism", that kind of shows your agenda. Joe Buck doesn't call shit all the time, and that's him refusing to interrupt his stupid little anecdotes. I clearly labeled my opinion as opinion, and prior to that, asserted that you must have known about the homerun call which is why people called it a "weak apology," (a reasonable assertion which you then proved correct), and then drew an inference on why you may have omitted that tidbit and only include the sincere-sounding first line of the apology.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Lol... I don't have any problem with someone disagreeing with me. I have a problem with someone calling their opinion "fact" and calling mine "incorrect".

    I also have a problem with someone who twists my statement in order to make me look bad - which is what you just did.
    Your opinion being incorrect is.......you guessed it, my opinion.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Edit: Also, I have to push back on this "showing him at his absolute worst." He's not angry, he's not being provoked by an aggressive gay dude, he's not fragging noobs in COD and let a homophobic slur slip.......he's using it in the course of every day conversation while he thinks he cannot be heard. That's fucking atrocious, and I, like I said, a good barometer of who he probably is as a person.

    Also, I don't know anyone who uses that word openly any more. Maybe in the 90s. But it's 2020.

  3. #683
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Also, I don't know anyone who uses that word openly any more. Maybe in the 90s. But it's 2020.
    Hang around middle class white guys over 60 in a male sports setting and you'll hear it. Not saying it's right, but also saying that they're not all evil. And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always. It's a big deal if younger folks are still saying it and think it's ok.

    Also, if it's your opinion, don't use the words "fact" and "incorrect". Say you disagree. The definition of "incorrect" is "not in accordance with fact". It's not a word you use to express an opinion. If you use words correctly it's easier to convey your meaning.

    As to the homerun call... they cut away from him so I just assumed that they were expecting him to make the call. I thought it was fairly sincere and well spoken. Most of these apologies are scripted out but his (obviously) had to be done live. I think people are just looking for any reason to think worse of the guy. He obviously took it seriously and said he was aware that he might be fired... how is that not taking it seriously?
    Last edited by Scrod; 2020-08-21 at 03:30 PM.

  4. #684
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Hang around middle class white guys over 60 in a male sports setting and you'll hear it. Not saying it's right, but also saying that they're not all evil. And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always. It's a big deal if younger folks are still saying it and think it's ok.
    OK then, at least how big an apologist you are for this behavior is beyond doubt now. Save me having to read between the lines when you put it out there like that.

    Also, if it's your opinion, don't use the words "fact" and "incorrect". Say you disagree. The definition of "incorrect" is "not in accordance with fact". It's not a word you use to express an opinion. If you use words correctly it's easier to convey your meaning.
    We get it, your feelings are hurt when people disagree with you, that's life.

    All these "problems" you're claiming to have with "language" aren't the camouflage you think they are, you couldn't be more transparent.
    /s

  5. #685
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    OK then, at least how big an apologist you are for this behavior is beyond doubt now. Save me having to read between the lines when you put it out there like that.



    We get it, your feelings are hurt when people disagree with you, that's life.

    All these "problems" you're claiming to have with "language" aren't the camouflage you think they are, you couldn't be more transparent.
    Of course I'm an "apologist". I have stated that I agree he should be fired, but I don't necessarily think he's a bad guy. Sometimes good guys do bad things.

    Not sure why you see that as problematic.

  6. #686
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,053
    Anyway, baseball, the western divisions have so far been untouched by Covid /knockonwood and I wonder if that good fortune will keep up. What will it be like if they all make it to season's end without having to play the many doubleheaders that face the Central and East? What kind of advantage could that bring them?
    /s

  7. #687
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Hang around middle class white guys over 60 in a male sports setting and you'll hear it. Not saying it's right, but also saying that they're not all evil. And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always. It's a big deal if younger folks are still saying it and think it's ok.

    Also, if it's your opinion, don't use the words "fact" and "incorrect". Say you disagree. The definition of "incorrect" is "not in accordance with fact". It's not a word you use to express an opinion. If you use words correctly it's easier to convey your meaning.

    As to the homerun call... they cut away from him so I just assumed that they were expecting him to make the call. I thought it was fairly sincere and well spoken. Most of these apologies are scripted out but his (obviously) had to be done live. I think people are just looking for any reason to think worse of the guy. He obviously took it seriously and said he was aware that he might be fired... how is that not taking it seriously?
    I'm a member of the Bills Mafia. I have season tickets to one of the most blue collar fanbases in football, and my family has had them for 30 years. I'm surrounded by blue collar middle class white guys over 60 8 Sundays a year, and guess what, everyone I know and who is my friend is a middle class white guy (and all their fathers are over 60).

    I still don't hear that shit. Even in Buffalo.

    Maybe it's prevalent among your friends.....but guess what: I think that is abhorrent, horrific, etc, etc.

  8. #688
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    And he didn't intend for it to be used openly, it was "locker room talk". It's a regrettable vestige of an earlier age. Hell, I've heard older men who have gay family members say it. It's not a big deal done in private settings, just old men struggling to adjust to the times like always.
    Didn't intend for it to be used openly? Private settings? Regardless of whether he knew his mic was on, he was at fucking WORK. This wasn't some guy sitting with his buddies in his living room who accidentally broadcasted his thoughts to the world.

    Even most people who do use slurs aren't dumb enough to go throwing them around at their job. Only an absolute moronic shithead would do that. And the fact that he said it so casually means this almost certainly wasn't the first time he's done it, just the first time on a hot mic.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

    "I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

  9. #689
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,577
    Kyle Lewis is making this terrible season tolerable to watch. Just need a bullpen and this team might be something in a few years.

  10. #690
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Kyle Lewis is making this terrible season tolerable to watch. Just need a bullpen and this team might be something in a few years.
    Seems like Seager to Atlanta for some of their pitching would work for both teams. And Kelenic should be in center next year, right?

    My post about the Pirates aged really well as they swept the Brewers this weekend.

  11. #691
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,577
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    Seems like Seager to Atlanta for some of their pitching would work for both teams. And Kelenic should be in center next year, right?

    My post about the Pirates aged really well as they swept the Brewers this weekend.
    I will take anything for Seager at this point but I doubt anybody is gonna bite on that contract, even with him becoming slightly better after slimming down. Thats a guy that was murdered by shifting. Should be, I wana see Julio Rodriguez too but that may be 2022. Losing a MILB season is gonna suck for us.

  12. #692
    Following the lead of their NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, the Brewers will forfeit and sit out their game tonight:

    https://twitter.com/CBSSportsHQ/stat...42559326511104

    May be a larger sign of things to come, in the NBA the Bucks sitting out their game led to 3 other teams declaring the same, and ultimately the postponement of all NBA games today. But baseball is far less politically active than the NBA.

  13. #693
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    Following the lead of their NBA team the Milwaukee Bucks, the Brewers will forfeit and sit out their game tonight:

    May be a larger sign of things to come, in the NBA the Bucks sitting out their game led to 3 other teams declaring the same, and ultimately the postponement of all NBA games today. But baseball is far less politically active than the NBA.
    And yet they pathetically caved also. In a time where Americans went so long without sports, is it a good idea to "boycott" a game? There will be no boycott on Friday, it's Jackie Robinson day. If they are that committed, they would boycott that day too. But they won't.

  14. #694
    Legendary! Vetali's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Washington
    Posts
    6,577
    Welp Dipoto just fleeced the Padres. Seager is definitely on the block now too.

  15. #695
    Odds historically favor the team with the best run differential (runs scored minus runs allowed) in its league to reach the world series. In fact, 4 of the last 6 teams to end the regular season with the best run differential won a pennant. Only the 2019 Dodgers and 2017 Indians failed to win pennants in the last 3 years.

    Currently, the Dodgers have the best RD in the NL and the Indians have the best RD in the AL.

    There have been 8 world series played this century where neither team won RD in its league: 2015, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2001

    The odds favor at least one of them appearing in the world series.

  16. #696
    Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    Currently, the Dodgers have the best RD in the NL and the Indians have the best RD in the AL.
    The Dodgers are running away with the run differential lead in the NL, but the Rays and White Sox are within 4 of Cleveland so that's still up in the air. I was going to say Cleveland has the advantage of playing against poor pitching teams like Detroit and KC, but then I saw what the Red Sox are doing. Holy crap is their pitching bad this season (and KC's pitching really isn't all that bad, it's their hitting that's awful).

  17. #697
    It looks like the Mets are finally getting sold.

  18. #698
    Quote Originally Posted by Die View Post
    Odds historically favor the team with the best run differential (runs scored minus runs allowed) in its league to reach the world series. In fact, 4 of the last 6 teams to end the regular season with the best run differential won a pennant. Only the 2019 Dodgers and 2017 Indians failed to win pennants in the last 3 years.

    Currently, the Dodgers have the best RD in the NL and the Indians have the best RD in the AL.

    There have been 8 world series played this century where neither team won RD in its league: 2015, 2014, 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006, 2005, 2001

    The odds favor at least one of them appearing in the world series.
    Things have drastically changed since this post. The Indians cannot win a game and the White Sox have rattled off win after win. The White Sox now have the AL's best record and the best RD in the AL. The odds now favor a White Sox / Dodgers world series.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Indians have gone from possibly the best team in the AL to the 8th and final playoff spot with a chance to completely miss the playoffs. They are 4 games ahead of the Mariners and 4.5 ahead of the Tigers. The Tigers probably have a better shot because they play the Indians 4 times and the pathetic Royals 4 times, with just 2 games against the Twins rounding it out.

  19. #699
    The best run differential in the AL turned out to be a tie between the Rays and White Sox. That's never happened before. I guess I would make them co-favorites to win the pennant. Dodgers win the RD title in the NL and are the pennant favorite there. Again, this isn't a guarantee, its just that the team that wins the RD title in its league has a better than 50% chance of winning the pennant.

  20. #700
    The Insane draynay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    16,053
    White Sox were the first AL team to clinch and they hit the skids and dropped all the way to the #7 seed, I think they ceded any co-favorite status.

    Dodgers were on a 116 win pace. I doubt they would have won 116, but that's how good they were over 60.
    /s

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •