Thread: 2020 MLB thread

Page 40 of 41 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Nellise View Post
    That was a cheap way to lose a perfect game for Rodon, hitting a guy on the back foot that didn't move with a slider. Glad he got the no-hitter, but I'm guessing he'll be hurt within a month as he was way overthrowing during the last inning.
    The Dodgers have had some no-hitters into the 6th-7th innings and I haven't been too disappointed to see them go for this reason. Obviously its great to get them, but the toll on the pitcher can be pretty high. Hopefully he's fine.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Dodgers have had some no-hitters into the 6th-7th innings and I haven't been too disappointed to see them go for this reason. Obviously its great to get them, but the toll on the pitcher can be pretty high. Hopefully he's fine.
    He didn't have a crazy number of pitches, I think it was 112, so that wasn't too bad. What's more worrying is his last two fastballs were 98mph and then 99 when he started the game in the low 90s. Rodon does have a history of throwing harder as games go on, but nothing like that, so I'm afraid he was pushing himself too hard.

I had the privilege of going to a mariners game today. It was honestly one of the best pro sporting events I've attended. Nobody to block your view around you. Every other urinal was blocked off so you won't get the creepers that go next to you. The concourse had "lanes" in one direction to encourage social distancing.

So MLB took efforts to "deaden" the ball and reduce home runs, and the result at the end of April is some of the lowest offensive numbers we've seen since 1968.

Games are so low scoring that the biggest difference between the teams, at least in the games I've watched, is how umpire incompetence influences the game.

Its not just LA, deGrom has allowed 2 ER in 5 starts and has a 2-2 record. He always gets crummy run support, but that's nuts.

Baseball is not putting out a very entertaining product right now IMHO. I think they know what the problems are, the solutions are just being worked on too slowly - minor league baseball is going to experiment with limits on infield shifts, larger bases, automated ball/strike systems, reduced throws to first, etc.. Its going to take some time to sort out how all those rule changes impact the game, and even then, if they implement things as clumsily as they have the change to the baseball, any margin for optimism quickly goes away.
    /s

Biggest thing I notice is too many players are trying to swing for the fences thinking we still have the juiced ball. A lot of pitchers are getting Felix Hernandez'd right now. Most of the pace of play changes the MLB has implemented has severely changed the fun of the game for me as a viewer. I do want the robo zone and limited shifts. You rarely see a team running out of mound visits in the season now that Mike Scioscia is gone. I didn't even see the pitch timer clock working at T-Mobile when I went there 2 weeks ago. 2nd base runner in extras is dumb as discussed before. Minimum batters faced is silly. If a manager wants to blow through a bullpen in an early season game then let them. Not a big fan of the 7 inning double headers so far.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...rageous_blown/

Angel Hernandez is the worst. Just mind boggling hes still an ump even after filing a lawsuit against the MLB.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...rageous_blown/

Angel Hernandez is the worst. Just mind boggling hes still an ump even after filing a lawsuit against the MLB.
    Angel Hernandez partially inspired my earlier rant.
    /s

Imagine getting a no hitter, and the only thing that prevented you from going perfect was a dropped 3rd strike.

So MLB took efforts to "deaden" the ball and reduce home runs, and the result at the end of April is some of the lowest offensive numbers we've seen since 1968.

Games are so low scoring that the biggest difference between the teams, at least in the games I've watched, is how umpire incompetence influences the game.

Its not just LA, deGrom has allowed 2 ER in 5 starts and has a 2-2 record. He always gets crummy run support, but that's nuts.

Baseball is not putting out a very entertaining product right now IMHO. I think they know what the problems are, the solutions are just being worked on too slowly - minor league baseball is going to experiment with limits on infield shifts, larger bases, automated ball/strike systems, reduced throws to first, etc.. Its going to take some time to sort out how all those rule changes impact the game, and even then, if they implement things as clumsily as they have the change to the baseball, any margin for optimism quickly goes away.
    Just for people who were curious.

Among the changes, balls are now lighter and the coefficient of restitution—essentially, the bounciness of each ball—will be more consistent. In its memo, MLB said an independent lab found fly balls hit more than 375 feet lost one to two feet of distance with the changes. An analyst contacted by The Athletic estimated the changes will reduce home runs by about 5%.
    https://www.baseballamerica.com/stor...ategy-in-2021/

When I read deadening the ball I thought they made it heavier, but lighter makes sense for balls hit to lose forward momentum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Pujols is getting DFA'd by the Angels. Nobody is gonna claim him off waivers with a $30mil price tag. I wonder if anybody would pick him up on the cheap as a free agent or if this is the end.
    /s

Idk. Maybe St Louis for a day? lol. Mariners picking him up would incite chaos.

Idk. Maybe St Louis for a day? lol. Mariners picking him up would incite chaos.
    I know the Mariners already have a 1B that can't hit, do they need a DH that can't hit?
    /s

I know the Mariners already have a 1B that can't hit, do they need a DH that can't hit?
    We already got that. Never realized that the year after he signed that big contract that he never got above .800 OPS again. Felt like he was hitting .900+ against the Mariners tho.

.256/.311/.447/.758 as an Angel is a gruesome slash line, dropped his career average 30 points
    /s

Pujols is signing with the Dodgers, I did not see that coming, but there have been a lot of injuries, including two guys that can play 1B.
    /s

Pujols is signing with the Dodgers, I did not see that coming, but there have been a lot of injuries, including two guys that can play 1B.
    Now with Seager hurt, hes totally gonna be playing full time for at least a month.

Now with Seager hurt, hes totally gonna be playing full time for at least a month.
    And we lost today on 3 unearned runs off an error by shitty fill-in 2B so we should put Muncy at second and everything will be settled for a week until Bellinger is back.
    /s

I'm not entirely sure that no-hitters should count if they happen against the Mariners. Team batting average is 11 points behind the second-worst team at this point.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

At least he had to get Hanniger four times.
    /s