Thread: 2020 MLB thread

Page 45 of 47 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    What a brutal way for that game to end.
    Not that it would have mattered he probably still would have struck out. 0-17 against Scherzer, but yeah was definitely a check swing.

OOF

Been on the other end of bad missed calls like that before so that is a pretty harsh ending.

Also, if you guys could keep your gen ot/poli bullshit over there and not pollute sports threads that'd be great.

- - - Updated - - -

Rematch of the best playoff series of 2020 coming up, its ridiculous that Atlanta has home field advantage.
    /s

Like biting your tongue on the last bite of a great meal.
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Umps also cost the Giants a run early in the game. In the fourth inning, Kris Bryant saw 5 balls and yet the count was 3-2 before he finally struck out swinging. If he had gotten on it would have pushed Crawford to 2nd, then Crawford and Bryant could have moved up on that passed ball instead of just Crawford taking 2nd. Then Crawford could have scored on that ground ball out by Slater.

Both those missed pitches were about 4 inches off the plate. No fucking excuse.

Fuck the umps.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I've been saying for a while that they just guess on check swings and it was never more clear than in these Dodgers/Giants games where things are so tight that it doesn't take much to tip things.
    /s

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    I've been saying for a while that they just guess on check swings and it was never more clear than in these Dodgers/Giants games where things are so tight that it doesn't take much to tip things.
    And the stupid thing is... even if you're guessing on swings, why the hell would you ever ring someone up on the final out of an elimination game?!

Like... the default should be 1) don't call a check swing a strike for the final out of a playoff game (let alone an elimination game), and 2) don't call it a non-swing if that will walk in a run in a playoff game, unless calling it a swing would interfere with rule #1.

Unless it's blatant and it's not a guess.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

I think the same ump had some iffy ones when he was covering 3rd, guess its a good thing he never got behind the plate.
    /s

I'm still fucking pissed. I'm sure Dodgers fans are thrilled right now, but those umps threw the game.

This is the Bryant at bat in the 4th.

Pitches 3 and 5 were both called strikes. If either one had been correctly called as a ball, then the Giants would have likely scored Crawford later in the inning and the game would have been tied at 2 in the 9th, rather than 2-1.

But whatever.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

The umpires missed calls for both teams throughout the series. That umpire in particular had 95% accuracy, which is pretty damn good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UmpScorecards

There’s a based ball game on television btw. If dodgers don’t make it I can root for Boston. If not I can root for not astros.

Both AL teams beat the dodgers in the ws recently so there’s a nice revenge aspect, and I’m sure the media is creaming themselves over the story if it’s astros, but losing to them again in the ws would be a dagger. As if it would somehow vindicate the earlier win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    The umpires missed calls for both teams throughout the series. That umpire in particular had 95% accuracy, which is pretty damn good.

https://mobile.twitter.com/UmpScorecards
    The two worst calls were the two that phaelix is talking about. You aren't good at this.
    /s

The two worst calls were the two that phaelix is talking about. You aren't good at this.
    There were bad calls in all the games all year, every year. You aren't good at this.

Even the best umpires aren't perfect.

In the Houston-Boston game tonight there was one at bat where the 3 balls in a row were all called strikes. I want to say it was in the 5th inning? I'll have to see if I can find it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/baseball/co...ut_on_strikes/
    Last edited by muto; 2021-10-16 at 01:05 PM.

The home plate ump in the Red Sox/Astros game last night was calling balls four inches outside off the plate as strikes, but he wasn't even consistent about it. Sometimes it'd be a ball, sometimes a strike.

I know people complain about the umpires/refs in all 4 major sports leagues, but MLB umps have the easiest job by far of the 4 sports and yet somehow they seem to fuck up the most. Not to mention how completely incompetent umpires like Joe West and Angel Hernandez have managed to keep their jobs for decades.
    “Leadership: Whatever happens, you’re responsible. If it doesn’t happen, you’re responsible.” -- Donald J. Trump, 2013

"I don't take responsibility at all."
    -- Donald J. Trump, 2020

The Red Sox are absolutely destroying the Astros 9 - 0 already in the 3rd inning. With this being the first of three games in a row, Dusty Baker should just have position players pitch the rest of the game to save his pitchers for the next two games.

I blinked and Houston was up in the series 3-2 while the braves are up in this games 3-0
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    Well, this first Giants/Dodgers postseason series hasn't disappointed so far. Talk about excellent pitching all around.
    It’s the first ever… sooooo…

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    It’s the first ever… sooooo…
    ...and now it's forever tainted by the umps.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Balls and strikes should just be called into the home plate ump’s ear. All he looks at is the swing/catch. Pitch tracking is crazy these days. Everything else should be challengeable(?).

Have I mentioned how awful the TBS broadcasters are?

I can't say I agree, but if it gets them to change things I can pretend to agree.
    /s

Last night I figured it was time for the every-few-games dodgers blowout where they win by 4-9 points then can’t muster 2 the next game. Not that I’m complaining. Braves fans must be getting ptsd flashes of last year.