Thread: 2024 MLB thread

Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Joc Pederson just hit 4 home runs and a single with 10 RBIs in a span of only 6 ABs. Yeesh.

Giants hitters as a whole hit 8 home runs in that 9-inning span from last night to this afternoon. Last night's game, in particular, was a crazy back-and-forth affair in the later innings.

"The difference between stupidity
    and genius is that genius has its limits."

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Diaz reminded me a lot of Fernando Rodney. Some serious heart attack inducing moments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Diaz reminded me a lot of Fernando Rodney. Some serious heart attack inducing moments.
    4 hits, 1 walk, and 0 strikeouts in 2/3 of an inning to blow the save... yeah, that qualifies. Especially since he induced a double play after the first hit, so he had 2 out and nobody on before the remaining walk, single, single, single.

To be fair, that's the life of a closer, though. And it looks like Diaz had a league-leading 57 saves and only 4 blown saves with a sub-2.0 ERA in his last year with the Mariners. The Mets pitching in general this season has been great. The Giants are now 2-4 against them so far this year.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    I miss Rodney, he had some all-timer blown saves against the Dodgers.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    This Yankees start to the season has been crazy. I doubt they will continue at this pace, but being over .700 after this much of the season is pretty nuts.
    The Dodgers went 43-17 in 2020 and I wondered how they'd do over a full year. Now the Yankees have done them one better at 44-16 so yeah, curious to see where they end up.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    The Dodgers went 43-17 in 2020 and I wondered how they'd do over a full year. Now the Yankees have done them one better at 44-16 so yeah, curious to see where they end up.
    Just for reference, the 116-win Mariner's team of 2001 was at 47-13 through 60 games. I was curious what that benchmark might be.

I doubt the Yankees will finish over .700, though, especially after a full season in the AL East. I'm going to make a wild-ass guess predict 105 wins for NY this year.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    Halfway through the season now.

The Yankees are still producing so far, and they should (barring a last minute collapse) win today, pushing their record to 59-23, on pace for a 117-win season. Judge just hit his league-leading 30th HR in the first game of New York's back nine2, so he's flirting with a 60 HR season right now.

Vlad Guerrero Jr. is not. He's only on pace for 37 HR and his Blue Jays are on pace for an 88-win season. Hmm.

Meanwhile, my Giants are... not doing so well recently. With only 3 wins in the last 13 games (and losing so far today), it certainly looks like they're trying to push for actually being below .500 at their halfway mark. <sigh> I'd definitely be more upset if I wasn't still riding the high of the Warriors' Finals victory.

We'll have to see what kind of moves at made by the trade deadline. Normally, a team like the Yankees being so far out in front might take the pressure off the second place team to make a meaningful trade, but with Boston, Tampa Bay, and Toronto all within half a game and vying for those 2 wild car slots... we'll see.

Maybe one or more of them will be able to eat into that Yankees lead in a search of an advantage over the other two and drop the Yankees record a bit, otherwise my wild ass guess prediction is going to be woefully pessimistic.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

10+ Year Old Account
    The Yankees have the talent and more importantly they've been healthy in the first half. I have a hard time believing that luck will hold out, so I'd expect their lead to come down a little, but probably not enough to make things interesting.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    The Yankees have the talent and more importantly they've been healthy in the first half. I have a hard time believing that luck will hold out, so I'd expect their lead to come down a little, but probably not enough to make things interesting.
    Yeah, if their lead comes down, it'll likely be a combination of them starting to coast towards the end and the 2-4 slots in the division trying to survive and gain ground on each other. In order to hit my 105-win prediction, though, the Yankees would have to go 46-34 (.575) for the remainder of the season. I'm not sure they're going to drop that far, but it's possible, I guess.

--Alexandre Dumas-fils

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Blue Jays 28
    Red Sox 5

Good god is Boston terrible at fielding. Also, their park is laughable to hit in. Pretty sure little leaguers could hit homers at Fenway

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    You can't spell slaughter without laughter.

Blue Jays 28
    Red Sox 5

Good god is Boston terrible at fielding. Also, their park is laughable to hit in. Pretty sure little leaguers could hit homers at Fenway
    How you can link this without video of the inside-the-park grand slam fielding fiasco by Boston is beyond me:

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    How you can link this without video of the inside-the-park grand slam fielding fiasco by Boston is beyond me:

https://twitter.com/BlueJays/status/...SHle1tM4KaCK1g

Yeah, it was such a huge oof. Then the next inning Boston tossed away a routine throw to first that allowed a couple of runners to score as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Score was 6-0 with 2 outs, and the guy puts zero effort into retrieving the ball after losing it. Seen shit like that in little league from kids that clearly don't want to play.... never in the fucking MLB.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Red Sox just love these embarrassing moments where they seem more like a beer league team than professionals.
    /s

15+ Year Old Account
    LOL when it quietly dropped 20 feet behind him and he just retired. That’s like something from a family guy flashback about how bad someone was at sports.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumboy View Post
    I'm not sure if you guys have noticed but sometimes I say things that are kind of dumb
    I just like reading about the "vigorous rubbing" that might affect ball inflation.

10+ Year Old Account
    People getting hit in the face today.

Another outfield miscue resulting in an inside-the-park HR but this time the fielder gets excused for not chasing the loose ball because it struck him right in the cheek as he tried to find it in the sky and knocked him on his ass.

Less amusing was Marlins pitcher Castano getting hit by a comebacker, though he seems to be "OK".
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Mariners: make big trade for a SP

Mariners the following day: star rookie gets HBP, awaiting x-rays but doesn't sound good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv3eduzcZxc

10+ Year Old Account
    Mariners: make big trade for a SP

Mariners the following day: star rookie gets HBP, awaiting x-rays but doesn't sound good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv3eduzcZxc
    X-rays negative, thankfully.
    /s

10+ Year Old Account
    Damn it, Vin Scully passed away.

Vin Scully passed away today...this hurts for a Dodger fan such as myself.