Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

Affluence and the American Jail system.

Interesting view on the American Jail system.

Not sure if Canada has people in similar situations and that I just don't hear about it. Or if the neighbour down south just happens to have it so wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    The American jail system is a for profit industry. No other country in the world does it the way we do.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Adam Ruins Everything did an episode about it. Pretty disturbing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrynn View Post
    Yurp
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Kujako View Post
    The American jail system is a for profit industry. No other country in the world does it the way we do.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-m...t=oft12aH-1gp2

Sounds about right.

- - - Updated - - -

Yurp
    [video=youtube;yqQa_0gM6hg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqQa_0gM6hg[video]
    The mentally ill and LGBT get put into isolation for no reason?
    The fuck?

Keep in mind in a lot of other countries while the jail system may not be for profit, they are literal hell on earth.

Not saying the USA doesn't have its problems. Some perspective for the thought pot though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TITAN308 View Post
    Keep in mind in a lot of other countries while the jail system may not be for profit, they are literal hell on earth.

Not saying the USA doesn't have its problems. Some perspective for the thought pot though.

Never said we we're the worst, just that we're unique. And frankly, as bad as that picture looks, solitary confinement is likely worse.

-Kujako-

Well stop putting people in jail for stupid things like weed and actually punish crimes like Murder would be a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Well stop putting people in jail for stupid things like weed and actually punish crimes like Murder would be a good start.
    Nah the first step is removing private jails, your government pay somebody else cash to put its criminal in jails. Thats why they want as many prisoners as possible, its like a school, they get paid by the head count. At an increased cost from what it could do on its own as well. Would you trust private police or firefighter? Probably not, well neither can you trust private jailers. Those services shouldnt be for profit, its your public safety.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never said we we're the worst, just that we're unique. And frankly, as bad as that picture looks, solitary confinement is likely worse.
    Also important to note those kind of countries tend to be poor.

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account

When you need to point to a nation that is much worse off than the US to get this point across. It definitely stands out on what the US is doing with other countries at its level.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinner981
    I don't believe in observational proof because I have arrived at the conclusion that such a thing doesn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrynn View Post
    I watched a better show about than his. It was a hour long show devoted specifically to the subject. It was quite terrible about how institutionalize the prison system is here. It was quite shocking to say the least. No telling how many politicians have their hands in that cookie jar.

7+ Year Old Account
    Money and politics! Money and politics! Rah rah rah!!

Let's all chant together and feel the progress.

Our for profit prison system is endemic to hydraulic despotism, imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Nah the first step is removing private jails, your government pay somebody else cash to put its criminal in jails. Thats why they want as many prisoners as possible, its like a school, they get paid by the head count. At an increased cost from what it could do on its own as well. Would you trust private police or firefighter? Probably not, well neither can you trust private jailers. Those services shouldnt be for profit, its your public safety.
    Totally agree. These jails are making hundreds of millions of dollars. It goes much much deeper than you think. Someone has to reward these contracts to build the jails, to staff them, to feed the prisoners, to launder their clothes, to provide clothes etc. The list goes on and on. The system is ripe for corruption.

The war on drugs is one of the worst policies the US has ever implemented and for some reason no one is trying to repeal it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    The war on drugs is one of the worst policies the US has ever implemented and for some reason no one is trying to repeal it.
    Thats not true, there are many Lawyers that fight against this failed system.
    A movie/doku released about this problem not long ago right ?

Scarab Lord
    10+ Year Old Account

Most people hold the US, and other developed countries, to standards well above that of El Salvador and similar countries.
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Completely agree, and I consider myself conservative. Anyone who grew up in the 80's and had to endure the D.A.R.E program or "Just Say No" as a kid should now realize how fucking pathetic that really was. Budweiser can make 10 Trillion dollars in a super bowl but you can't go home after a hard day of work and smoke a blunt. Dumb as fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeezy911 View Post
    Completely agree, and I consider myself conservative. Anyone who grew up in the 80's and had to endure the D.A.R.E program or "Just Say No" as a kid should now realize how fucking pathetic that really was. Budweiser can make 10 Trillion dollars in a super bowl but you can't go home after a hard day of work and smoke a blunt. Dumb as fuck.
    I'm sorry, is alcohol illegal?

Why do all the morons who say drugs like weed should be legal, know it's illegal, and still think it's ok to do it while it's illegal comparing it to alcohol or tobacco? It's funny I don't see people out there doing crack, complaining they can't come home from a hard day of work and smoke a pipe. That same dude they just got home smoking a bowl illegally, would call the police in a second if someone was smoking crack in front of their house.
    The hypocrisy of legalize marijuana crowd is comical.

You break a law, you go to jail. While I agree the jail time is a bit excessive, that's not what we are arguing here, that wasn't your point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I'm sorry, is alcohol illegal?

Why do all the morons who say drugs like weed should be legal, know it's illegal, and still think it's ok to do it while it's illegal comparing it to alcohol or tobacco? It's funny I don't see people out there doing crack, complaining they can't come home from a hard day of work and smoke a pipe. That same dude they just got home smoking a bowl illegally, would call the police in a second if someone was smoking crack in front of their house.
    The hypocrisy of legalize marijuana crowd is comical.

You break a law, you go to jail. While I agree the jail time is a bit excessive, that's not what we are arguing here, that wasn't your point.
    You know that something being illegal is not a good argument for keeping it illegal? I hope?

You completely missed the point of his post.