Deleted

Remove the sound made by other players?

Is it possible to remove the sounds coming from other players? Like spells etc?
    I've searched around but haven't found anything useful yet. Any help appreciated!

10+ Year Old Account
    My personal opinion: that would be a bit silly wouldn't it?

I hope not. How else am I going to make your ears bleed with my obnoxious Mechengineer Chopper?

but you can turn them off in the game menu.. or turn the volume really low. i hear a mechengineer chopper, but my ears never ever bleed ^^

Sound replacements can offer an all or nothing approach.
    Mute or replace entirely, but not on a per-source basis.
    What you want isn't doable.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadmanWalking View Post
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinaerd View Post
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/mute-wow-sounds

It'll require effort on your part, but it will work for most sounds.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

That is what I described, an outright replacement of a sound.
    If you and another player produce the same sound effect neither will be heard.
    What the OP wanted was selective muting based on the source, as in if anyone player that wasn't them made the sound.
    Your forgot to include the part where we blame casuals for everything because blizzard is catering to casuals when casuals got jack squat for new content the entire expansion, like new dungeons and scenarios.
    T'is good to see there are still people valiantly putting the "Ass" in assumption.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post

that will replace all sounds... not just other peoples though... so if hes a pally and somone else is a pally he will hear all their noises

at op, just mute the game...
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

There is a method of removing specific sounds using only Lua, as long as there is an event or function that happens in the same frame. It's a method I discovered (independently, not sure if I'm the first) which I use in my Decliner addon to block the guild invite sound since it's internal and not declared in Blizzard's public code. I then used it to block all invite sounds my addon handles so I can avoid replacing Blizzard code and causing taints. I'll share my method later when I'm at home.

- - - Updated - - -

Alright, so the way I block regular UI sounds (anything that uses "PlaySound" in the public code) is I hook PlaySound itself, check for what sound name was passed against a table, play a sound to get the "handle", then immediately stop that sound and use handle-1 to stop the first sound. The handle ID, which is the second return from PlaySound, is an incremental number for every sound played. If you were to use "print(handle)" for every sound played, your chat window would be spammed in the same way looping "print(i) i=i+1" would.

So far, from the limited testing I did, every single sound in the default UI uses "PlaySound", including sounds not declared in public code, since every single sound played increments the handle ID. This means that the handle ID is screaming higher and higher during things like raids. File and KitID seems to only exist for addons, but they also increment the handle ID. Using this info, you can stop any sound you want as long as you get the handle ID immediately after that sound, as in the same frame, and then stop both. I originally did this with the guild invite sound, but it is unreliably delayed so I just cut off the SFX for just one frame, so you can do that for sounds without a reliable same-frame event or function to hook to.

Here's the basic layout of the handle-1 method:

Code:
    hooksecurefunc('PlaySound',silence)

-- change block in whatever function you would use to decide whether or not to play the sound
     -- if you are copying this code to use and plan on changing "block", make sure to remove this line
    local block=true

-- sound name with its KitID equivalent
     -- these sounds are just what i block in my addon
    local sound={
    	igCharacterInfoClose=840,
    	igCharacterInfoOpen=839,
    	igMainMenuClose=851,
    	igMainMenuOpen=850,
    	igPlayerInvite=880,
    	igQuestListClose=876,
    	igQuestListOpen=875,
    }

local function silence(name)
    	if sound[name] then
     -- sound ID "64" is one of the button sounds from the login screen, i chose it because its the number 64
    		local _,handle=PlaySoundKitID(64,'Master',false)
    		if handle then

StopSound(handle) -- this stops "64"

StopSound(handle-1) -- this stops the sound we want to filter

-- this single frame delay is the filter, which plays the sound we just stopped if block==false
     --			local f=CreateFrame('frame')
     --			f:SetScript('OnUpdate',function()
     --				if not block then PlaySoundKitID(sound[name]) end
     --				f:SetScript('OnUpdate',nil)
     --			end)
    		end
    	end
    end

I use 'Master' to ensure the sound plays, "false" to let the sound play over other copies of itself (otherwise, 64 won't play if too many filtered sounds happen close to each other), and check for "handle" since all three PlaySound functions fail and return nothing when the entire game is muted. One of the neat ideas I thought about doing with this is a pure addon that silences Rhonin, instead of the empty sound files, which would use CHAT_MSG to watch for his yells and then just stop his voice. I never got around to doing that.

And here's the somewhat known one-frame sfx mute:

Code:
    local f=CreateFrame('frame')
    f.sfx=GetCVar('Sound_EnableSFX')
    SetCVar('Sound_EnableSFX','0')
    f:SetScript('OnUpdate',function()
    	SetCVar('Sound_EnableSFX',f.sfx)
    	f:SetScript('OnUpdate',nil)
    end)

This saves the current status (1/on or 0/off) of the sfx, turns sfx off, then uses the saved value. If sfx was on before, it turns back on. If sfx was off, it stays off. I didn't discover this method, I found it somewhere on WoWInterface forums. This "swallows" the sound. If a sound plays with sfx off, it doesn't play, so a long sound will not be playing when the sfx turns back on a frame later. The four second long guild invite sound (which is the level up sound) is completely muted within this one frame, and since a standard frame is 0.016 seconds long, the player never knows the sfx turned off.
    Last edited by Kanegasi; 2017-03-10 at 01:44 AM.
    Originally Posted by Zarhym (Blue Tracker)
    this thread is a waste of internet

Do all player-created sounds have events associated with them ?
    Certainly some like cast starts, ends.