Deleted

More WoW pvp Esport promotion

Am i the only one thinking blizzard missed the point again here?

Was people not calling for the PvE competitive scene to get some attention? I think its pretty plain to see that the pvp competitive scene already has the attention it needs. its not very fun to watch for people who arent deeply invested in it because its almost impossible to keep up with whats going on.

The PvE scene has been calling for attention from Blizzard for a long time and now they release new pvp things. Is that Blizzard saying fuck you to the whole pve community?

Quote Originally Posted by Nupomaniac View Post

Was people not calling for the PvE competitive scene to get some attention? I think its pretty plain to see that the pvp competitive scene already has the attention it needs. its not very fun to watch for people who arent deeply invested in it because its almost impossible to keep up with whats going on.

The PvE scene has been calling for attention from Blizzard for a long time and now they release new pvp things. Is that Blizzard saying fuck you to the whole pve community?
    Not that I would mind but it seems just kinda late to establish that kind of charity and Blizzard is already keeping all their other pvp titles as a charity.

Don't worry about PVP as esport - it will get exactly nowhere. A couple of usual suspects will get a bit of money for their cheetos and softdrinks for massaging each other over the columns, that's it.

Now that I said it, PVE as esport is an even bigger non-starter. Don't get your hopes high. It's unwatchable (tons of aspects, naming just one - short periods of activity are interspersed with humongous periods of mundane nothing) and, most of all, uninteresting.

agreed with rda - as much as I would love to see progression highlights out of a 10day(!) marathon I won't be watching this live.
    and if we remove all those boring to watch parts of progression we are left with those sad blizzcon runs where two guild were racing eachother for 1.5h.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    short periods of activity are interspersed with humongous periods of mundane nothing
    The NFL is still pretty popular despite being exactly this.

Deleted
    I'm not saying it needs all year coverage. But a twitch stream with some blizzard emplyed shoutcasters during the progression race, maybe some live feeds they could comment on from time to time would be great.

Obviously this is not something thats for everyone, neither is lolesport, but i'm sure it would have a following. I know at least 10 people from my guild who would be watching it.

I just think its sad that they spend so much time and energy on pvp and nothing on the pve scene at all when the pve scene is whats kept wow alive for all these years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pkhs View Post
    To be honest there are plenty of examples like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pkhs View Post
    To be honest there are plenty of examples like this.
    These are all examples of old activities that appeared when the world was slower so to speak and had less attractions.

Try launching something like NFL today. If it is as you say - lots of nothing and little action - you will fail. Not dynamic enough, other things capture and hold people's attention much better. (How many new sports did we see in the last 50 years? Three? Four? Compare to the big entrance of videogames, streaming services, social media, etc. No contest in who wins the attention battle, right?)

Deleted
    These are all examples of old activities that appeared when the world was slower so to speak and had less attractions.

Try launching something like NFL today. If it is as you say - lots of nothing and little action - you will fail. Not dynamic enough, other things capture and hold people's attention much better. (How many new sports did we see in the last 50 years? Three? Four? Compare to the big entrance of videogames, streaming services, social media, etc. No contest in who wins the attention battle, right?)
    I think we saw around 50 new esports in the last 10 years.

- - - Updated - - -

50 that actually became something that is.

There is an audience. its up to Blizzard if they will supply the demand. The thing i dont understand is why they do it with PvP and not PvE

I think there are a lot of problems with broadcasting competitive PvE. Let's just ignore interest/viewership for now. The biggest difficulty is that raid tiers usually last at least a week. From a logistics standpoint, that sounds awful to broadcast in an exciting way. Imagine being in Blizzard's shoes. Do you expect broadcasting to last 24/7 for a week? There's also the fact that secrecy is pretty important to competitive raiding, as strategy is a huge component. A lot of the top end guilds are very careful to avoid leaking any strategies/tips and tricks to other guilds, which means they don't want anybody watching.

I think this is why Blizzard instead experimented with the competitive Mythic+ race some time back. First of all, it's more clearly one-on-one. You can watch both teams progress at the same time and can clearly see who's ahead. Second of all, it's much more reasonable in terms of a broadcasting schedule. Even if they jack up the difficulty significantly, a M+ race would only last an hour, tops. You also don't have to worry about leaking strats too much--at least for a 1:1, the race is too fast to watch what the other team is doing and adjust accordingly. Maybe in a tournament-style bracket that would be more of an issue (by the way, the fact that it can even be run in a tournament-style bracket is another strength).

Note that up to this point I tried to focus on just logistics, not which is more interesting. I actually think watching progression raiding can be pretty exciting, and there's a lot of drama that can go on (We wiped at 1%! We finally got it after hundreds of wipes! We beat our rival guild!), but it's hard to make a professional broadcast out of it and expect constant viewership. My current issue with M+ races is that they kind of just had random college students in their broadcast last time. I think it'd be much more exciting if they took the best M+ teams and put them head-to-head.

Sorry for the wall of text, I had a conversation very recently about this so I had thought about it some.

50 that actually became something that is.

There is an audience. its up to Blizzard if they will supply the demand. The thing i dont understand is why they do it with PvP and not PvE
    Re-read my post closer, you are making my point. I said that we saw very few new physical sports (like football) and plenty of things related to better connectivity / Internet / computing, esports included. None of the new things we saw featured BS like long periods of nothing vs short bursts of activity (since we had metric tons of games of all varieties, matches in some of them were like that but those games didn't succeed as esports and never will). NFL and other activities where such long periods of nothing are common (as you and someone else said, I wouldn't know, I don't watch NFL) still exist because of inertia.

In sum: WoW PVE has no hope of ever making it as an esport, people just won't watch it, it is unwatchable.

Wow pvp is pretty garbage. Way too much CC on different DRs, so your comp is more important than anything else. Number one thing wow pvp needs is a blanket DR for all forms of CC.

Isnt this discussion like 8 years old when MLG stopped supporting Arena tournaments because WoW PvP is unbalanced and shit?

And there cant be a PvE "tournament".