Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

This Handgun Attachment For Police Aims to Make Bullets Non-Lethal

This is stupid. First off it's pathetic that they're using Michael Brown as their poster boy. Second this device is just stupid. It takes way too long to attach this to the gun.

Furguson Police Department are testing a non-lethal alternative to standard bullets. The device is an orange plastic bracket that fits onto the barrel of a firearm. Once fired, the bullet imbeds itself in the metal sphere located in the nose of the bracket. The bracket reduces the speed of the bullet by 80 percent.

With the increased surface area and reduced velocity of the projectile, the chances of penetrating the skin is less likely. This can be a viable alternative to rubber bullets. However, the device only allows for a single shot and takes precious time to fit.

The goal is to stop the threat without taking a life, watch how the alternative device works in this video.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Can't watch the video. :/

The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
    Sorry about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's retarded guns should be lethal. What should happen is cops use non lethal methods they already have if the situation calls for it not just resort to their gun as first response.

Also lol @ single shot. Wishful thinking if they think most cops are that accurate. Especially so in a high stress situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    This is stupid. First off it's pathetic that they're using Michael Brown as their poster boy. Second this device is just stupid. It takes way too long to attach this to the gun.

Somewhere former Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders is smiling. "We can keep guns out of the hands of children, yes. But we need safer weapons and safer bullets."

On topic: We already have bean bag shotguns. I fail to see what this offers, aside from less safety and usefulness, that is not already provided by the bean bag guns.

Wouldn't it make more sense to just have rubber bullets as a standard and a firearm with standard ammunition as a secondary weapon rather than going to all this effort for a single shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    That's retarded guns should be lethal. What should happen is cops use non lethal methods they already have if the situation calls for it not just resort to their gun as first response.

Also lol @ single shot. Wishful thinking if they think most cops are that accurate. Especially so in a high stress situation.
    When the day comes that we have effective "set phaser for stun", like in Star Trek, or something like that, I think that is all we will need. Contrary to what people think, gun rights believers truly are about the safety that can ONLY be provided by guns. If I can shoot you in a non-lethal way, that works every time, and doesn't kill you, I'm all for that tech. It has yet to exist, however.

Why not use rubber or plastic bullets, something along the lines of paintball gun force.

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    Does anything stop an officer from having this contraption on the gun at all times? I mean, other than holsters, but those can be adjusted. The "just one bullet" argument seems much stronger to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Just let the cops shoot stupid people who do not want to obey that simple. If a cop tells you to put your hands up and lay on the ground do it. If you don't and get shot your fault. People need to stop thinking that they are above the law.
    Xenodrake (Shadowpriest) <Infallible>US 7th (T13) US 12th (T12) US 7th (T11)

Anticipation of Death is worse then Death itself.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see a use for this as an optional add-on, but I think a better practice would just be to have the first 2-3 bullets in an officer's sidearm be rubber bullets, by default. Any situation where you get pushed into firing will thus default to less-than-lethal rounds, unless it's a serious enough situation to justify more than a couple shots, in which case you're into using lethal ammo, without having to worry about changing magazines.

They should only be drawing and firing their weapon in serious life threatening situations. If they have time to mount this orange bracket, and then the leisure to rely on a single shot, why is the cop's gun out at all? They already have tasers for situations that don't require a gun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    When the day comes that we have effective "set phaser for stun", like in Star Trek, or something like that, I think that is all we will need. Contrary to what people think, gun rights believers truly are about the safety that can ONLY be provided by guns. If I can shoot you in a non-lethal way, that works every time, and doesn't kill you, I'm all for that tech. It has yet to exist, however.
    I'd say bean bags are already pretty effective at that role. Shit fucking hurts and if that hits you in the chest you're going to get the wind knocked out of you. Stun guns could def use some upgrading.

I'm worried about the creeping urge to use these less than lethal weapons in any/every situation, the same way tasers have been used more and more often, to the point of absurdity.

Quote Originally Posted by Xenodrake View Post
    Just let the cops shoot stupid people who do not want to obey that simple. If a cop tells you to put your hands up and lay on the ground do it. If you don't and get shot your fault. People need to stop thinking that they are above the law.
    But but, I dindu nuffin

[Infracted]
    Last edited by Annoying; 2017-03-13 at 11:45 PM.

The guy in the video already tells us how massive the flaws are to this.

Cops will only have one shot, and they almost always miss. They need more than a second to put this on, and it takes training to do so. Also, this is still lethal. Get hit in the head and you're fucked.

This will also probably cost a lot to produce for every single cop.

I'd rather see that money spent on actual training on how to defuse a situation and properly subdue someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    liberalism is a right wing idealogy.

I'd say bean bags are already pretty effective at that role. Shit fucking hurts and if that hits you in the chest you're going to get the wind knocked out of you. Stun guns could def use some upgrading.
    I have never even heard of anyone using a bean bag gun for self defense. It doesn't disable a person, it just causes them pain. They are generally only used in riots. I don't wear riot gear, nor do I have others to help me, when I am at home.

When the gun comes out, it should not be used in a non lethal method. When non lethal take down is no longer an option.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    I'm worried about the creeping urge to use these less than lethal weapons in any/every situation, the same way tasers have been used more and more often, to the point of absurdity.
    Well that's better than being shot to death at least. I'd take abuse of tasers over guns any day but ideally neither would be cool but yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tijuana View Post
    I have never even heard of anyone using a bean bag gun for self defense. It doesn't disable a person, it just causes them pain. They are generally only used in riots. I don't wear riot gear, nor do I have others to help me, when I am at home.
    Well yeah obviously I meant in the realm of Policing they're pretty effective. Pretty sure you can get those for home defense too but I wouldn't rely on a shotgun for self defense anyways.

Well that's better than being shot to death at least. I'd take abuse of tasers over guns any day but ideally neither would be cool but yeah
    Yes, but the problem has been that the police feel like the can get away with using Tasers (and will with this) in situations where no weapons should be put into play whatsoever.