Thread: 7.2: AOE nerf ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    I see some talking about stacking Starfalls here, im rookie so just wondering if that comes in 7.2 or is it on Live?
    and with stacking do u mean having multiple starfalls up at same time?
    Been like that since 7.0.

Since this at worst has no effect on the DPET of Starfall, it only negatively affects AoE phases under 8s duration. We're already borderline useless in those anyway, so it's largely meaningless. In all other situations, this is a buff due to higher Empowerment uptime.

So, why couldn't they just make starfall keep the same duration no matter what and just make it tick faster similar to dots?

If anything seems like an OI buff on ST, leaving you with more empowerment uptime.

People keep saying that this a buff to empowerment on dots would make up for the damage loss. Seriously I don't understand how this is even a thing. At most you gain 1 tick of empowered dots. 1 tick of Sunfire and Moonfire is not going to make up for 30% (on average haste loss?). Also who seriously uses the drift ability of Stellar Drift here? I don't know about you but most of the time I try to stay as far away from the mobs as possible, which means I'm not in the radius anyway.

I still don't get the why? There are plenty of other classes that have much better AoE than moonkin whilst moonkin is last in DPS. Is it PvP? Why don't they make this change for PvP only?

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Regardless of it being a slight nerf, or actually good for longer empowerments, etc...

... am i the only one that recognizes the absurd amount of damage we deal on AoE now? This is a hightly justified change. We're probably the best class in the game for Mythic+s for that matter, and have a massive sustain aoe for fights like botanist (non-hc), skorp, aluriel, etc?

I just wish they'd bump our single target up a bit if they lower our aoe potential.

don't know at 907 aoe spec i was in line with the other casters in my +15

our AOE is great in a +6 when you can pull multiple mobs but in a +15 you ain't pulling whole multiple packs to benefit our AOE more then other casters.

then when it comes boss time you are gimpped more so then other classes because of your AOE spec.

i would take a lot lower AOE for much higher ST. AOE becomes padding if its not burst AOE in mythic raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Closetoelefen View Post
    I did nearly 1000 myth+ runs up to level 16. I am a level 900 equiped moonkin with 2 BIS legendaries. I do an amount of AOE damage similar to level 900 equiped mages, warlocks, hunters. Not better in cases, where I need to collect AP first.
    In NH hc it is a similar situation.

We are definitely not the best class for Myth+, not in AOE and for sure not in ST fights.
    We do not need a AOE nerf, we need a ST buff.
    I didn't state we were the best class SOLELY for our damage, which is massive and one of the highest right now. Add that damage to our huge utility with innervate, battle res, treants (are insane), typhoon, solar beam, and other minor stuff like self heal, mobility, off taunts, etc. Yes, we're probably the best class for M+s right now, partially because of the massive aoe.

I've stopped grinding mythic+s at this point, after reaching 54, and ran around... 500ish dungeons, no other class was even competitive on the long run. Yes, some had a bit higher burst aoe on big packs, others were higher on single (obviously), but none was as consistent as a boomkin. Hell, i went from disregarded the previous patch to completely sough-after since the buffs

Also, our aoe sucks for low dungeons, since mobs don't last enough to take advantage of our aoe\dots. We really start shining on the higher end, the higher the better, this week running 15's with teeming and skittish is a dps dream.

Quote Originally Posted by beaver1024 View Post
    People keep saying that this a buff to empowerment on dots would make up for the damage loss. Seriously I don't understand how this is even a thing. At most you gain 1 tick of empowered dots. 1 tick of Sunfire and Moonfire is not going to make up for 30% (on average haste loss?). Also who seriously uses the drift ability of Stellar Drift here? I don't know about you but most of the time I try to stay as far away from the mobs as possible, which means I'm not in the radius anyway.

I still don't get the why? There are plenty of other classes that have much better AoE than moonkin whilst moonkin is last in DPS. Is it PvP? Why don't they make this change for PvP only?
    You don't seem to understand that the damage per execute time stays the same, if starfall did 1000 dmg per cast in 7.1.5 it will still do 1000 per cast in 7.2. Only thing that changes is the damage is done over 8 sec rather than ~5.

This can be detrimental for dps, but only if the targets die or are moved out of starfall before it ends.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyen View Post
    So, why couldn't they just make starfall keep the same duration no matter what and just make it tick faster similar to dots?
    Because then it would double dip haste. You already get to cast it more often.
    Quote Originally Posted by beaver1024 View Post
    People keep saying that this a buff to empowerment on dots would make up for the damage loss.
    There is no damage loss. Each cast of Starfall still does the exact same damage since haste never did anything but reduce the duration. At most it's a loss of burst.

10+ Year Old Account
    TL;DR: the DPET of Starfall did not change, this is not a nerf. The change is damage-neutral, you gain some quality-of-life through being able to cast on the move a bit more, and it's a slight indirect buff to Oneth's for ST.

I don't see why this thread exists. There is no discussion to be had here, closing.