Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I used to go to the gym, then I took an arrow to the knee. But in all seriousness, doing the machine with the pull down rod while sitting really helps with pull ups. It helped me a lot when I started out. Also keep on trying to do pull ups even if you fail, try to hang and hold yourself for a set count. Hope this helps

former Marine here that can still do 20+ dead hangs: best way to do more reps is to do more pull ups. Put a pull up bar in a doorway you use all the time - start doing 50-100 per day. Other upper body and even core exercises will help augment success - push ups are great as well.
    LFGdating
    Currently playing: WoW, D3, SC2, and wait for it ... Red Alert 3. (And possibly some Goldeneye here or there.)

Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    former Marine here that can still do 20+ dead hangs: best way to do more reps is to do more pull ups. Put a pull up bar in a doorway you use all the time - start doing 50-100 per day. Other upper body and even core exercises will help augment success - push ups are great as well.
    Wait, the guy wants to be able to pull up 5 times and you are telling him to mkae 50-100 a day? How does that make any sense...?

If you want to get in shape then I advise against trying to build srenght in one particular part of your body, it will only get you frustrated and tired. Start with general excersice for largest muscles, then you will quickly see progress and once you start seeing how your body changes it will only get easier.

Unless you only want to do 5 pull ups for whatever reason (a bet or deal?) then yeah, just do puplups.

Just a slightly obvious but helpful hint make sure you are breathing while doing the pull ups. A lot of people hold their breathe and that will just sap your strength. Also keep calm as you can(goes hand in hand with controlling your breathing) anxiety will also sap your strength.

Crossfit, you will be doing 5 "pull-ups" in no time at all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Crossfit, you will be doing 5 "pull-ups" in no time at all.
    Like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Egor2765 View Post
    Exactly!

Crosshit
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Strength is easy. Eat a shit tonne and lift heavy.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Just prefer to do some excercise

Deleted
    Heavy lat pull downs.

Pull ups with support

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anakin57 View Post
    Dafuq? He wants to do 5, you suggest 100. And pushups?

Quote Originally Posted by Bantokar View Post
    Heavy lat pull downs.

Pull ups with support

- - - Updated - - -

Dafuq? He wants to do 5, you suggest 100. And pushups?
    He obviously didnt mean 100 in one set :P

@OP I found that the easiest way to do pullups, is by doing pullups, you're gonna struggle at your current weight, and loosing weight will obviously make it easier, doing 20 pull ups at first, and more when you can get more than 1 rep in, would be a sure way to get to 5 long before spring. If you cant raise yourself on the last ones, do negatives, jump up and then lower yourself as slowly as possible.

Doing pulldowns after that would help aswell.
    Last edited by Crispin; 2017-07-21 at 08:52 AM.