Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Oondasta mount farming stats

Hi, I'm trying to get oondasta mount, already made a thread before asking about the drop rate but now I have some doubts about this (and other 3 mop world bosses mounts) working properly, as in:

I have around 2.200 kills plus 2.200 rolls for a total of 4.400 total attempts on oondasta and no drop and a total of around 5.600 attempts across all mop world bosses mounts and not one dropped, I did so few attempts on the other 3 cause I planned to cap them on BMAH (and did).

Why do I think there could be a bug with this?

-Oondasta based on websites and on A LOT of people I know who got it in less than 100 kills seems to be at least 3 times better drop than the other 3 mop world bosses, so I'm not considering it a 1 in 2.000 drop, but like 1 in 666; if you say "if rarity says 1 in 2.000 it's 1 in 2.000" I'd like to remind you rarity lists infinite timereaver as 1 in 100 by default when it's like 1 in 2.000 or even 4.000, so rarity isn't always right!
    -Remember in early August blizzard finally fixed the respawn of oondasta and galleon to 15 mins? In that month I started seriously farming it with all 46 high levels I had at the time and groups were still possible to make since we were level 100s, and I've seen 4 mounts drop for other players in my groups in that time, 1 the 6th august, 2 the 10th august and 1 the 27th august, this doesn't really look to me like a 1 in 2.000 drop with 5 people per group average!
    -Oondasta, sha, nalak, galleon have a unique way to drop: you don't loot these bosses, you don't get a container and open it and the mount can be inside; in these cases if you get the mount it appears in inventory straight.
    -The max I have heard players getting oondasta mount with is 2.372 total attempts, someone here on mmo champion who posted in the "get a mount, post screenshot" thread, that is barely more than half than I did.
    -I heard of another player in the US with a similar or higher amount of attempts as mine who didn't get oondasta, and also bought all other 3 mop world bosses and never got any of them to drop.
    -So basically whoever went past 2.372 attempts never got it so far from what I read or heard.

Why could this not be a bug?

-An EU player had a total of 8.800 attempts before getting any of the mop world bosses mounts to drop, that's more than my combined amount, he had 2.200 on each shortly before getting his first, oondasta.
    -A friend of mine was lucky on the first 3, at least quite lucky, with oondasta 20 attempts, sha 1.200, galleon 2.900, but since then he's been trying for nalak, he has over 10.200 total attempts on it and therefore over 7.300 attempts without a single mount drop.
    -Assuming my theory of oondasta 1 in 666 drop per kills, rolls included, is correct, the one who took almost 2.400 attempts still got quite unlucky cause it's about 1.200 kills, but it would be theoretically possible that someone else gets again twice more unlucky than him, example: it took me 220 huolon kills which is quite unlucky, but someone on wow forums needed 552 which is 2,5x as much.
    -In my experience, unless this one is a bug now, I never had mounts that couldn't drop for specific accounts, I had doubts when I kept getting blazing drakes instead of a single lifebinder's handmaiden from hc deathwing, but in the end it dropped; there were bugs so far but they affected every single account.

So these are the reasons why I doubt if there's something wrong with these mounts, though I personally only worry about oondasta since I bought the other 3; an important question is: any mount farmer out there had to do over 2.400 total attempts (including kills + rolls) on oondasta but then managed to get it?

Or any of you went past 2.400 on oondasta and didn't get it yet but were able to get any of the other 3 mop world bosses to drop?

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hate to be that guy, but RNG is RNG for a reason. Some guys gets it on their first try, others on their 10k. Just how it ends up working out.

Deleted
    You could have another 10000 attempts without a mount drop. This is how numbers and chance work.

So no answer to my questions? Or should I say thanks for stuff I know since 5 years? I'm worried about a bug here, not about unluck, that's why I'm asking if anyone went past that number and got it!

Use the "Submit bug report" feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since we talk quite often on Real-ID and you shared your concerns with me I will reply here too with the same I told you before.
    Some people get it in 1 attempt and others in 10 000. The average is still 5 000 attempts.
    It's a shame some people have to invest that much time into certain Mounts or items but that's how RNG works silly enough. There is no BLP (Bad Luck Protection) on old content too.
    There will always be outliers when it comes to drops ingame (and especially in WoW due to the RNG nature of things). That's also why I gave up on Diablo 3 since as a completionist it's virtually impossible to get the exact item/stats you want.

I'll keep following you and I'm pretty sure you're close to a drop, just don't get discouraged. It'll eventually land in your bags and the enjoyment will be even bigger when it finally does happen.
    "If you are what you HAVE and you lose what you have, what then are you? But if you are what you ARE and you lose what you have, no man controls your destiny".

10+ Year Old Account
    As far as i know they nerfed droprate when warlords started. So its way lower now.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

I always thought it was a myth that Oondasta had a higher drop rate that the other world bosses. This information originated in MoP, when we were still talking about a very small sample size relative to the extremely low drop rates of these mounts. The idea came, I believe, from the collection rankings on guildox, and guildox stopped tracking that seriously since Warlords of Draenor, so it was probably just variance.

Now, if the drop rate of these mounts is 0.1%, 1 in 1.000, as I used to believe, 4.500 kills without a drop is similar to going 450 kills without a drop on the regular 1% mounts, like Invincible, which is not that unusual. In fact, 1% of the people who kill a regular mount boss 450 times will not get the mount in those kills, same chance as getting it on your first (or any) kill. It's unlucky, but it happens often enough to hear people complain all the time.

If the mounts are lower than 0.1%, which seems to be the general consensus, not getting a drop in 4.500 attempts is even more likely. I sincerely hope the drop rate is not lower than that, because 0.1% is extreme enough, it makes the mount barely have any gameplay purpose at all (it's basically the reward designer exercising some world building masturbation, he's the one who has fun by injecting a "super rare" mount in game, the players trying to get it do not), but still, going for that many kills without a drop is not unusual enough to call it a bug, it's just unlucky.

Many people had more attempts at the Infinite Timereaver without a drop. I myself have a total of 6.000 attempts on these four bosses, and so far I only have one of them, the one from Nalak, which is also unlucky if they are 0.1%.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    Use the "Submit bug report" feature.
    Very constructive post, thanks.

Like others have said, RNG wins. You should have seen so and so mount around so and so kills, but it's not guaranteed to drop by then. Some mounts took me less than what the drop rate was record to be but others took longer.

Thanks for some more constructive answers than the first 2 I got, the one who said submit bug, I already did ofc.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    As far as i know they nerfed droprate when warlords started. So its way lower now.
    I was afraid I had read "legion started" here, because that would make sense cause I have no legion proof of the drop, but you said wod, there is no way the drop rate of oondasta has been changed in wod, because out of 920 kills being made (5 people average in group during my 230 kills of august) 4 mounts dropped for people in group, that is 1 in 230, so you see that my 1 in 666 estimation is not really too optimistic, pessimistic in fact!

Yes, it's more fun when they drop after a lot of kills but I assure you all: I have zero concerns about rng here, if blizzard could prove to me that this mount could drop for every single player it would be enough for me, I'm just afraid that none of my kills could ever get it if the bug theory is correct, I was hoping someone would prove me wrong here, but seems like no one has more info about high number of kills on oondasta before mount dropped.

You know what I did? I checked on guildox last night, I checked all top 100 mount collectors in the world trying to find ANYONE who went past 1.200 kills and got oondasta, almost all top 100 collectors have it btw, but I could only find 2: 1 is skate-something like that who posted here on mmo who got it in 2.372 total attempts, so 1.186 kills, another one is a player of der rat von dalaran who has apparently only 10 chars he farmed it on but has incredibly high kill count, lowest char has 95 or so, highest 175 with a lot around 150, for a total of 1.365 kills and 2.730 total attempts before getting oonda; this is the highest I've ever seen so far (which should be further proof it's nowhere near 1 in 2.000, oondasta itself) for someone who actually ended up getting the mount.

Beyond that I only know about me and an US collector at 4.500 attempts (he probably has even more) and as such 2.250 kills and nothing yet.

You see, THIS data is what I was asking for: people with incredibly high amount of kills on oondasta who actually got it, this player is the only one I discovered in my search with higher than 2.400 attempts who got it, and I will ask one more time, does any of you maybe have more or have any friends with more than 2.730 (the new record) who managed to get the mount?
    Last edited by Esploratore; 2017-03-20 at 04:18 AM.

If only blizzard would not 'fix' realm hop, then I could kill this dino every week ;(
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodakane View Post
    Men are NOT suffering societal hardships due to being male. That doesn't exist in most 1st world countries.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunru View Post
    It's the same drop rate. Nothing suggests this was changed. The only thing they nerf after expansions is end Mythic boss mounts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Last year I decided to install rarity to track my world boss kills, after a year of work it showed Oondasta at 826 kills - and I tend to do him less then sha/nalak.

Like you, some of my friends recieved Oondasta rather quickly, easily less then 100 kills and are having 0 luck with sha, nalak or galleon, While one of my friends got Oondasta after around 1.1k kill mark However, 1 of my friends had the luck of getting sha and nalak within 100 kills, but no Oondasta drop. And for me, Galleon dropped after 75ish? kills back in mop.
    Contributor of the WoW Secret Finding Discord and the Mother of Aeonaxx

My stats for MoP world bosses are:-

Sha - 950 kills before it dropped
    Nalak - 1100 kill before it dropped
    Galleon - 3300 kills before I got weak and bought it from the BMAH
    Oondasta - Currently sitting at around 1100 kills

As far as I'm concerned, it's all just RNG with no such bug being involved at all.
    Main toon: Priest
    Alts: Rogue, Druid and Paladin plus many, many more.

If it makes you feel any better I've killed it 3 times and I have the mount.

Hate to be that guy, but remember the legendary bug?
    Yeah, RNG is more often than not RNG. But there can be bugs.
    Just saying!

Quote Originally Posted by Esploratore View Post
    You see, THIS data is what I was asking for: people with incredibly high amount of kills on oondasta who actually got it, this player is the only one I discovered in my search with higher than 2.400 attempts who got it, and I will ask one more time, does any of you maybe have more or have any friends with more than 2.730 (the new record) who managed to get the mount?
    You are looking at a very very small population. There aren't a lot of people with more than 2.500 rolls on any world boss, because it would take them 2 and a half years of killing them weekly on 10 characters, with bonus rolls, to get there. Oondasta has only been out for 4 years, and during MoP it spawned once every three days at best, while in WoD it spawned once every two hours, so it was annoying to farm on a throng of alts every week.

There are very, very few players who farmed that persistently, and they won't necessarily be mmo-champ members, or open your thread, or read your post (especially since it's huge), or bother to reply. It's no surprise if you won't find any such player, just like I couldn't find anyone who had Infinite Timreaver drop twice.

You just need to make a reasonable deduction from the data that is available to you. 4.500 attempt without a mount is not that unlikely for a 0.1% drop; 4.500 attempts for a 0.05% drop is even less surprising. Your 1 in 666 estimate is based on pure hearsay and unreliable data from guildox, so it's just as bad as what Rarity will tell you. Common sense says all four have the same drop rate, and Rukhmar is slightly higher because you can't coin it. I never noticed Oondasta dropping more often than the other 3 over 2 and a half expansions of farming all 4 of them on and off, nor did any of my collector friends get Oondasta any sooner than the others (I know people with all four).

You also have to ask yourself how would this bug work in the internal code of the game. These mounts never had any sort of bad luck protection, to make you think it might have an unintended opposite effect. It's a lot more logical to assume that if dropped at 2.300, and it dropped at 2.700, it will probably drop at 5.000+ as well.

Does it suck that you didn't get it? Yes, it sucks infinity, and you're still stuck with the same lousy drop rate on every kill, and I'm positively terrified at my 1.300-1.500 kills since MoP that I'll probably go another 3 years without seeing a drop. But you won't change that by trying to come up with tinfoil scenarios.

If you want a definitive answer, though, your best bet would be to pester the developers on Twitter. If they're going to spend that much time trying to earn something, players deserve to understand the mechanics behind it, and the idiotic devs who thought <0.1% drops are "fun" need to be bothered about them as often as possible, perhaps then they'll understand what a retarded idea they are.
    Last edited by Coconut; 2017-03-20 at 03:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drefanator View Post
    I hate to be that guy, but RNG is RNG for a reason. Some guys gets it on their first try, others on their 10k. Just how it ends up working out.
    I'll never understand the point of these posts...

If the drop rate is 0.01% which is 1/100 and it doesn't drop, that doesn't mean the next time you go to do it its now 1/99.

I just have to thank my lucky stars that I am no the type of person who obsesses over stuff like this. Completionists/collectors and such. I am in awe of some of your dedication to the game... but for me... fuuuuuuuck that!

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasDS View Post
    Good post and I agree with all of it!
    You're making me blush... as much as a Coconut can blush, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Farath View Post
    My stats for MoP world bosses are:-

Sha - 950 kills before it dropped
    Nalak - 1100 kill before it dropped
    Galleon - 3300 kills before I got weak and bought it from the BMAH
    Oondasta - Currently sitting at around 1100 kills

As far as I'm concerned, it's all just RNG with no such bug being involved at all.
    Interesting, if you get past 1.365 we have a new record of someone who is certainly not bugged (because you got sha and nalak and the loot system is the same for all 4 bosses, if 2 can drop, so can the other 2) and didn't get oonda yet, we'll see.

Coconut, makes a lot of sense what you said; I myself only started farming when it became 15 mins respawn, I managed to get so many kills so quickly cause I started from 46 chars and ended up at 81 (2 full accounts minus level 1s here and there as goldkeepers and a couple of twinks), the only thing you said I don't agree with is the drop rate: it's not only guildox, what do you tell me about "top mounts" website? 0,9% have oonda, 0,4% galleon, 0,3% sha, 0,3% nalak, and those can also be bought from bmah, oonda can't, is this website also wrong?

Hate to be that guy, but remember the legendary bug?
    Yeah, RNG is more often than not RNG. But there can be bugs.
    Just saying!
    This one is also interesting, bugs can indeed happen and I recently came across one where SOME players on SOME chars get experience from most legion treasures, others don't, so if this were bugged it wouldn't be the only case!

But having said this I absolutely hope you who say it's not bugged are right, and I will obviously do it with 81 chars always, it's very enjoying to do tbh when you have access to every single crz in the game (20 of them at least) and takes away only 5h a week, only thing that isn't fun is when it never drops on any char on any week and you are the one (or one of the 2) with most kills in the world and you have 60% more kills than anyone you heard of who managed to get it, but I know this alone isn't enough to be sure it's a bug, I had huolon after 220 kills, have a friend who needed 351 and read of someone with 552.