Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you think honor means anything in a fight for your well being?

So I've read a lot on martial artist (legitimate too, not just fictional) philosophy and often hear that when you are in a fight concerning your safety, it is necessary to maintain dignity and not resort to "dirty" fighting.

What I mean by that is if someone threatens you, you just beat them down physically but at no point resort to something like pulling out a knife or kicking them in the crotch or biting them.

But to your eyes, is this legit or do you think anything is fair game in a fight for your life/well being? Like if some big burly guy tries to mug you, would it be disgusting to do something like feign defeat and pull out a revolver while cowering?

10+ Year Old Account
    Survival > Honor.

Honor is just a made up belief structure. Hard to be honorable when you're 6 feet under.

If it's a matter of life or death, honor is not on my mind in the midst of a fight.

As awesome as Bushido is and as appealing as it sounds, it's 2017.

If I have to fight for my life, I'm fighting dirty. That means balls, eyes, fingers, biting, etc.

In a fight for my life, there will be no honor, and whichever way it goes, I would have zero remorse afterwards.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post
    So I've read a lot on martial artist (legitimate too, not just fictional) philosophy and often hear that when you are in a fight concerning your safety, it is necessary to maintain dignity and not resort to "dirty" fighting.

What I mean by that is if someone threatens you, you just beat them down physically but at no point resort to something like pulling out a knife or kicking them in the crotch or biting them.

But to your eyes, is this legit or do you think anything is fair game in a fight for your life/well being? Like if some big burly guy tries to mug you, would it be disgusting to do something like feign defeat and pull out a revolver while cowering?
    What are your sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Nixx View Post
    Whatever version of "honor" you have in mind sounds like a great way to get yourself killed for nothing.
    Now apply that on a civilization scale.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

stand in the ashes of a trillion dead souls and ask them if honour matters
    Noirluna the Immortal of Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    As awesome as Bushido is and as appealing as it sounds, it's 2017.

If I have to fight for my life, I'm fighting dirty. That means balls, eyes, fingers, biting, etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorgodeus View Post
    In a fight for my life, there will be no honor, and whichever way it goes, I would have zero remorse afterwards.
    wouldn't carrying a gun be easier?
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    wouldn't carrying a gun be easier?
    Depends on where I am going. The state I live in allows one to legally carry a gun, but it can't be concealed, meaning it is like the wild west, holsters on hips. lol
    Last edited by Gorgodeus; 2017-03-23 at 04:30 AM.

If you are in a ring/arena/whatever and there are rules to the fight? Sure. You should respect them.

If you are attacked and are worried that you will sustain bodily harm or even death? Then you should do whatever you need feel you need to in order to protect yourself/others.

I'm sure if you're an exceedingly skilled fighter and are confident you'll win you can afford to fight with honor. Most of us would probably use whatever means necessary to win, I imagine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honor don't mean shit if someone is trying to take your life, in any case if you can fight back (or run away....no shame in it) or get a chance to you better be ruthless. I been ambushed on the streets before when someone tried to strong arm rob me....little did old boy know I am well taught and practiced pugilist and hell yeah I beat fire and flame from his ass and held him till the police showed up. He went to jail with a crushed orbital, a gash down the middle of his head and bruises all over. YOU DON"T GIVE NO ONE A CHANCE TO GET DOWN ON YOU IF THEY TRYING TO TAKE YOU LIFE! Plain and simple.

Depends on what you mean by dirty fighting. If you mean things like cheap shots attacking from the back then no in a fight to the death they are fine. If you mean things like using an innocent bystander as a shield that is wrong.

Fight to win.
    Your own life is valued far more than the opposing party.

It sucks to take a life, but if you're to survive, it's something that must be done in a situation that forces your hand to slay another.

Me > Others.
    I was a Death's Demise.
    Those were the good old days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekobe140 View Post
    Survival > Honor.

Honor is just a made up belief structure. Hard to be honorable when you're 6 feet under.
    "Stand on the ashes of a trillion dead ghosts and ask them if honor matters. . . . Your silence is your answer." -Javik, Mass Effect 3.

If I'm fighting for survival, I'm doing what it takes. Aiming for the nutsack, taking hostages, using poison, using children as shields, whatever needs to be done.
    Putin khuliyo

edit

beat me to it!
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

There are no rules in a street fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsugunai View Post

If you can beat him without resorting to dirty tricks, do it. Otherwise do what you have to do to survive.