Page 1 of 2
LastLast

2017 Blizzcon Diablo year?

It seems like we get nothing new because they are working on something big(ger) in Diablo universe, I hope we get announcement this year.
    I had hopes last year, but man Necro reveal was a disappointment.
    What do you think?

I think that D3 life is very dependant on how Necro will be received. Class DLC imho are a good way to monetize stuff over the long term - a yearly DLC with a new class should be pretty nice to have.

However, there's a major flaw: the game has literally zero new things to offer. Even with 100 classes you'll be just rushing to 70, do the journey and if you want try to compete in ladders - most people played for 1/2 weeks then left the game bored. Currently, less and less people play because the difference between s6 and s10 is zero.

I just play for collectibles but i already missed s8, and if nothing new happens i don't see myself even buying the Necro.

And price. Price needs to be really spot on - a 25$ price tag would just drove more people away from the game or just wait for a sale.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

There's a whole diablo team at Blizzard and they are looking for more positions to the team, yet there is currently no work being done to the game. The little work that is being done is content equal to a couple of peoples time.

So to me it's clear that the team is working on something new. Since many of the stuff they have released in patches recently have been zones / features that was planned for a new expansion I don't think a new expansion is very likely. Also because D3 has kind of a bad reputation which still exists from its launch. A new game might be best for the Diablo series.

If "D4" is ready to be revealed this Blizzcon I think that is what we will see. If it's not ready yet then I expect another year of D3 maintenance with nothing new added that two people can't develop.

7+ Year Old Account
    IMO it's too early to announce a new game. Possibly a new class for D3 and maybe some new features.

Every year we all hope it is a Diablo year, every year we are all disappointed. I don't think my heart can take much more abuse so I will just assume no.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    IMO it's too early to announce a new game. Possibly a new class for D3 and maybe some new features.
    I'm in the same boat - if Necro is successful enough i expect them to go for a Druid/shapeshifter class. Anyway i'm not really keen on new features as in new acts or even alternate progression modes/paragon rework. If anythign we may get some QoL features that may be nice but don't add much to the game.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

10+ Year Old Account
    Im pretty sure they will milk adding classes for a few years at least.

If necro has a good ROI, we can expect to see Druid announced at Blizzcon this year.

I'd say it's about as likely as one of those doomsayers predicting the end of the world being right.

I assume he necro will come out after gamescom, if not they might even hold that release + full look at new zones for Blizzcon. If the necro is released before Blizzcon, maybe a new classpack, unless the necro sales were terrible.

7+ Year Old Account
    Now I can see them announcing D2 remaster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't expect anything significant until we get anything notable.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I doubt it. We'll be getting the necromancer patch/dlc or whatever you want to call it this year and I can see it being a test as a new model for Diablo. If it turns out well they'll be releasing new classes as smaller dls with story content. Sadly the concept of Diablo feels like it's done. You can't really do a lot more with it as a game.

Diablo 4 or a World of Diablo is really they only way to go. I actually 100% expect a world of Diablo as the wow replacement. It makes sense from the lack of Diablo content for years. It's not as if it's a hard game to add new features for, plenty of other games of the same ilk add them constantly.
    But this year, no maybe 2019, 2020 range. This year, if Necro even comes out before Blizzcon, I'd expect character pack announcements. Maybe they are working on them concurrently, just not saying anything past Necro Dev.

Deleted
    Legion is the new Diablo

Deleted
    They are 100% working on something new for Diablo , but for now they will wait to see how the new class will go. If it goes ok , then they will keep adding classes or something else to try and milk as much they can , while the other part of the diablo team keeps working on whatever new they are working on.
    It seems crazy for them to be working on an MMO for diablo since it will affect WoW, so if it is similar to Diablo 3 then they will wait until its well-dead to release whatever new it is.

10/10 they're going to announce D2 HD at $60 and the Expansion later on for another $40-50.

Not that I'd mind that, D2 hd would be pretty awesome, but at the same time. The Diablo universe has been stagnant for the last 3 years now. It'd be nice to have either a new expansion or a entirely new game.

Such rich lore and interesting lore. I wish they'd expand on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what to expect, but the Diablo universe has been stagnant from RoS release. SC2 is getting story packs and occassional commanders, I don't see a reason to not see quests packs as new class packs.

Ultimately I would like to see a new Diablo game as I think Diablo 3 has major core issues caused by the bad initial design.

If they will go with a MMO route, they definitely need to make it different from WoW. It could even be free to play with cosmetics and other stuff to buy with money. I think they definiely should keep that view to retain the feel of slaughtering masses of monsters. They should also keep that action combat and leave Holy Trinity out. World of Sanctuary is not really explored, so I think they could go crazy with the open world and create random events all over the place and create massive demon (Maybe even angel!) invasions as expansion packs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tokas View Post
    It seems like we get nothing new because they are working on something big(ger) in Diablo universe, I hope we get announcement this year.
    I had hopes last year, but man Necro reveal was a disappointment.
    What do you think?
    I'm not holding my breath. If something is announced, it will be a great surprise, if not, then I won't have any expectations dashed.

I'm more interested if they'll announce the "unannounced game" they're hiring for.

Quote Originally Posted by Kontinuum View Post
    Now I can see them announcing D2 remaster.
    I think they're going to make the original one first.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    I actually 100% expect a world of Diablo as the wow replacement.
    Hah - totally no. Replacing WoW would require an immense investment and actually most of the new playerbase cannot be hassled with old-school mmos but prefer games structured through small play sessions that require next to zero preparation beforehand.

Blizzard won't be doing an mmo anytime soon - WoW has been both a milestone and the game that saturated the market at the same time. While i'm confident that Blizzard would be able to make a good Diablo mmo, they simply won't create a competitor for trheir own game. It would just be useless.

If anything, everything new about Diablo were new open positions for a new game in the Diablo universe with specific pointers towards first person engine and 3d animation. It looks more like a Diablo-Skyrim thing.
    Which suites the theme better since we want to fight hordes of monsters and not one/two at a time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zoreyai View Post
    10/10 they're going to announce D2 HD at $60 and the Expansion later on for another $40-50.
    I'm up for D2 HD, but not at that price lol. If i want to play d2, i can always install the old game as resolution is the last of the issues really.

Diablo has basically been abandoned.