Deleted

General advice for healing mythic+ (as either Disc or Holy)

Hi.

I have never really healed in this game, even tho I played it for far to long. When things calm down after the initial patch hype, I am prob gonna do a few mythic + as a healer. I currently have a priest with one shadow legendary @110, but with the new system I will be able to go Disc/Holy relatively effort free.

While Disc is prob the harder spec (from what i heard?) I am wondering which of the two is better for dungeons, especially for slightly higher keys. I will most likely struggle as either spec, but I am going to put a decent amount of effort into it, so hopefully it works out.

From what I tried - Disc seems great when everything goes as planned, but if the groups messes up it seems hard to recover. It could be Helya's "Torrent" which does not get interrupted - if you don't have Atonement on the whole group, it seems hard to recover. Holy seems better in this regard, but obviously lacks the added 200 k from the disc, as well as weaker cooldowns.

Any advice is welcome, as long as its constructive

Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    From what I tried - Disc seems great when everything goes as planned, but if the groups messes up it seems hard to recover. It could be Helya's "Torrent" which does not get interrupted - if you don't have Atonement on the whole group, it seems hard to recover. Holy seems better in this regard, but obviously lacks the added 200 k from the disc, as well as weaker cooldowns.
    Disc doesn't require cooldowns to recover, it just requires foresight to know what abilities to cover. On more difficult content, it's not a bad idea to spend "downtime" (periods where the tank isn't taking a lot of damage) to get Atonement applied to the group if you know the trash / boss has a mechanic that can deal AoE damage. Using Helya's torrent as an example, you would want to maintain Atonement while weaving in Penance, PWS, Smites, etc during that phase of the encounter to make sure that when a Torrent is missed you can pop Mindbender, Penance, and Shadow Mend the group back to full. Make sure you're specing into Grace/Mindbender/Twist of Fate for better results.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faylo View Post
    Hi.
    From what I tried - Disc seems great when everything goes as planned, but if the groups messes up it seems hard to recover. It could be Helya's "Torrent" which does not get interrupted - if you don't have Atonement on the whole group, it seems hard to recover. Holy seems better in this regard, but obviously lacks the added 200 k from the disc, as well as weaker cooldowns.\
    Any advice is welcome, as long as its constructive
    In small groups, recovering isn't as hard as it sounds. You'll always have atonement on the tank anyway, so for the other 4 people you'll at worst need @3-4 seconds for a radiance+plea, and penance will do a very nice amount of healing to make up for that time. I never particularly noticed Helya's torrent, tbh - as long as you don't fall behind on dispels and the tank picks up the big tentacle, there's not a lot of dmg to deal with (the breath being deadly anyway).
    I've only played disc in m+ and I love it (got a bit over 600 runs). People complain that we need to spam shadowmend too much on higher difficulty, but I find it fairly balanced, usually getting at worst equal amounts of healing from Shadowmend and Atonement. Barrier can be golden in some occasions (first and last boss in BRH come to mind quickly or mariners in Maw) and I can't say I've ever felt like Divine Hymn would have been better.
    I'm not too fond of raiding as disc really, but 5 mans as disc is the best fun I've had in a while.

Just make sure you pick Castigation-Mindbender-ToF(or PI, depending on how hard the instance is)-Grace and you're golden, with Grace being the highlight of it.
    Last edited by mmoc318f6f4933; 2017-03-27 at 06:51 PM.

Deleted
    I heal M+ as holy and find it pretty smooth - having serenity as a life saver heal on a short timer is very handy when one person drops. Can be a pain with overflowing though; I have the legendary belt which compounds it, yesterday I had GS up and put a 6.7M overflow shield on myself.
    Sanc is another good group saver - PoH + sanc is a decent burst on the whole group.

Divine hymn is useful as it works even when your dps are running all over the place (I always found it hard to actually catch everyone with barrier as disc), the healing output in 5 man is pretty beefy, especially with a couple of PoM out.

I don't think the dps difference between disc and holy would really make much difference in a typical run. I pull about 80-100k dps typically (I HF/smite when it's quiet), while the DPS are pulling nearly 10 times that.

I think you should give both a try and see which playstyle you prefer. I used to be a big disc fan, but I've really not gelled with it in Legion.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferin View Post
    I don't think the dps difference between disc and holy would really make much difference in a typical run. I pull about 80-100k dps typically (I HF/smite when it's quiet), while the DPS are pulling nearly 10 times that.
    Try standing in melee and spamming holy nova

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scamper View Post
    Try standing in melee and spamming holy nova
    It's better DPS sure, but I like to live.