Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Can anyone suggest upgrades for me?

I'm a major noob at computers. I'd appreciate if anyone can suggest upgrades for me or direct me to a guide I can use. My PC is a refurbished HP Compaq Elite 8300. I want to find upgrades that are compatible with what I have before I waste money only to find I can't use what I get or it destroys what I already have.

Thank you so much to anyone who can help!

General Information
    Processor: Intel Core i5-3570 CPU @ 3.40GHz
    Motherboard: HP 3396
    RAM: 8.00 GB (7.88GB usable)
    Graphics Card: Intel HD Graphics
    Power Supply: HP 240W
    Operating System: Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1
    WoW Settings: Graphics setting 1-3 (3 works fine in open world, however, I get frame rate lag even on 1 in some raid encounters)

Budget: $600-$1,000
    Resolution: Doesn't matter
    Games / Settings Desired: OK graphics & addons enabled without frame rate lag
    Any other intensive software or special things you do: Just WoW/Starcraft 2/some older games
    Parts that can be reused: All of the above if it gives the results I need
    Do you need an OS?: I'm fine with Windows 7
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)?: No

You dont need a new PC at all, you just need an actual GPU.

It looks like your case is slim, as long as you have an open PCI-E slot this should fit:
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16814137081

That would make turn your pc into an real gaming system as an i5 3570 absolutely quality gaming CPU still today.

IF there are multiple models of the HP elite 8300 and you have a normal sized tower, i suggest this card:
    http://pcpartpicker.com/product/mbRF...vcggtx1050t4pb
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-03-31 at 10:36 PM.

Deleted
    Be aware that your PSU appears limited to 240W. It'll need to be replaced to mount a GPU. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it can be.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Be aware that your PSU appears limited to 240W. It'll need to be replaced to mount a GPU. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if it can be.
    Please dont reply if you dont know what you are talking about.

GTX 1050 is designed FOR systems like the OP has, they only need power from the PCI-E slot and a 240w PSU is more than enough for a 3570 and a gtx 1050/1050ti.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    In that range a full system upgrade is in order.
    No, no it isnt...

A 3570 is absolutely a beast of a gaming CPU today, they need a dedicated graphics card. The only question here is if they have a regular or slim sized case, they could save 30 bucks if they have a regular size tower with the PNY 1050 ti.

It is an alright cpu, but a modern cpu would give noticeable benefits, epecially in CPU bound games. Add in gains from DDR4 in modern games, if OP decides something looks fun, and doing a full system isn't a terrible idea. At $1000 you can build some very nice systems without being restricted by shitty HP components.
    Look at the games they listed, WoW/starcraft/older games, a GPU upgrade is absolutely all they need.

If they really wanted to they could buy a new case/motherboard and reuse CPU/ram, but honestly its not needed. Get a new GPU and maybe an SSD with a fresh windows installation and it would be an awesome gaming system.

Yep, I saw that. Hence my aside. English is fun, eh? Oh, and even with a new GPU OP won't be blown away by the upgrade on that system. Especially after he leaves blood in it removing the PSU and installing a new one with a new GPU in a terrible case with shit airflow.
    Get out of here with that crap, they are playing on dedicated graphics from 2012, a GPU upgrade would be an epiphany. And again, they dont need a new PSU at all, where you guys get this stuff is beyond me.

3570=77w max power draw (far far less than this in games)
    1050ti=75w max power draw, again less than this in games.

They have easily 100w of head room even when the system is at full load with their current PSU.

He has a typical "mainstream" PC.

An overpowered CPU with no GPU and cheapest PSU.

Sometimes with tons of useless memory, like 16GB.

The worst part is the motherboard has no PCIx16 slot.

Quote Originally Posted by xenogear3 View Post
    He has a typical "mainstream" PC.

An overpowered CPU with no GPU and cheapest PSU.

Sometimes with tons of useless memory, like 16GB.

The worst part is the motherboard has no PCIx16 slot.
    Where are you getting this info? From the pictures i saw of their PC it absolutely has an open PCI-E slot, whether it is 16x or 8x is kind of irrelevant it will still be a massive upgrade for them.

- - - Updated - - -

If the OP is concerned about my recommendations, maybe take this guys word for it:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCs...tIo0qXA/videos

He consistently gives great advice on buying used systems and adding a GPU as the best way to get into gaming on a budget. In fact, he has recommended the OP's exact same computer and added a gtx 1050 to it in some of his videos.

The only question is if the OP has one of the slim tower cases or a full sized one, that would denote what model 1050 they needed to purchase.

The sad part is that PC markers put a 4 year old GTX 750 in it, and call it top end game PC.

You guys are noobs, what he really needs is a 1080ti video card, then he can overclock the power supply and download some RAM.

No reason to spend much.

From the games you want to play, get a 1050 Ti and you are golden.

Make sure to change that PSU also, its a crap one, and can easily assume it barely outputs 150W, which means even 1050 Ti will shut your PC off.

A good 80+ Bronze 300-400W one would do perfect, which ever you find cheaper.
    Last edited by potis; 2017-04-01 at 10:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    No reason to spend much.

From the games you want to play, get a 1050 Ti and you are golden.

Make sure to change that PSU also, its a crap one, and can easily assume it barely outputs 150W, which means even 1050 Ti will shut your PC off.

A good 80+ Bronze 300-400W one would do perfect, which ever you find cheaper.
    You are all simply, wrong. I have no nicer way of putting things.

A 240w PSU is sufficient for the system the OP linked with a gtx 1050ti. If they want to do this sure, but it is not a required upgrade.

For a 1000$ budget...

Build a new rig, man. You can get a much better rig than what you have easily and come in well under a grand.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    For a 1000$ budget...

Build a new rig, man. You can get a much better rig than what you have easily and come in well under a grand.
    Or he could buy a 1050/ti and be extremely happy....

If he wants to build a new PC that is fine, but i am giving them the option to turn their aging PC into an actual gaming PC on the cheap. A 3570 is a very very good gaming chip still today, would be a shame to see that go to waste.

Here is a video of one of the most respected tech tube channels installing a gtx 1050ti into a dell with a 240w psu:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7myQLMSw5B8#t=1m55s

Sure, a 240W PSU that actually provides the power it's rated for. An old cheap ass PSU from an HP? Yeah, he should get a new one.
    Just stop my god you people have no idea what you are talking about!

HP does not sell crappy PSU's, this isnt a diablotek PSU you buy on newegg for 11 bucks, they dont want things coming back for warranty service 3 months down the line.

THE WHOLE POINT OF A 1050 IS A DROP IN REPLACEMENT FOR OEM PC'S EXACTLY LIKE THE OP HAS, STOP POSTING THINGS WHEN YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT.

Are we clear now?

You are missing the point entirely.

The reason for my frustration is this my dude, his PC is THE PERFECT CANDIDATE for a drop in upgrade of a 1050/ti and yet there have been 3 people in this thread recommend they upgrade the PSU because they dont understand the power draws associated with these parts.

Just watch the PCPER video i linked above, max draw they saw from the wall was 144w on the i7 system, it would be even lower on the system the OP has.

All i ask is you think a little before you give advice.

And no my dude its not about keeping it as cheap as possible, its about as little effort possible as well. If he is going to get a new PSU he may as well just build a new PC, alternatively dropping in a new GPU takes all of 3 minutes.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-04-01 at 10:53 PM.

Worst case with getting a 1050ti is that it may get throttled by the pcie slot, that's not bad say all.

You didn't even watch the video and you replied...

Go watch the video, they are recommending to their 150k youtube subs to put a 1050 into a dell with a 240w psu. Again if they are going to do a PSU replacement they may as well build a new PC. Its either get the 1050 and slap it in, or build a new PC. There is no third option where he gets a 1050 and a PSU, because that literally makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    You are all simply, wrong. I have no nicer way of putting things.

A 240w PSU is sufficient for the system the OP linked with a gtx 1050ti. If they want to do this sure, but it is not a required upgrade.
    Eh, i cant be bothered arguing.

Saving someone that has a budget of 1k dollars, 50$ because you have some fake trust about OEM manufacturers.

Let me guess, you bought Ryzen CPU too and Apple is a good company.

Quote Originally Posted by potis View Post
    Eh, i cant be bothered arguing.

Saving someone that has a budget of 1k dollars, 50$ because you have some fake trust about OEM manufacturers.

Let me guess, you bought Ryzen CPU too and Apple is a good company.
    There's a difference between spending $150 on a GPU to update an ok PC, and spending $1k on a new rig.

Also it's just an option, no need to be an ass like that