Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ...
    Managed to do this yesterday on a 898 Demon Hunter.

Talents - 3,3,2,2,3,1,1
    Food -The Hungry Magister (crit)
    pot - old war
    flask - Flask of the Seventh Demon (agi)
    trinket - Royal Dagger Haft
    special item - brazier of awakening www dot wowhead.com/item=127770/brazier-of-awakening (not allowed to post links)

Tactics:

Put down brazier in the middle of the room before the fight starts.

Phase 1:

Prepot and pull use all cooldowns (not drums) managed to get him down to 70% before i reached 6 stacks.
    Imprison him when he is about to finish his cast and clear some eye's while the stacks drop. Kill nether adds when they appear.
    Try not to use any orbs.
    Repeat untill phase 2.

Phase 2:

Drums and second pot as soon as he lands.
    Keep moving if you stand still and you get caught in a pool you are dead.
    Use orbs to delay Annihilate as much as possible.
    1st annihilate demon spikes
    2nd fiery brand + demon spikes
    3rd - meta + demon spikes
    4th - i actually died here as my last resort AND haft had been used but brazier saved the day.

Because i got resurrected by brazier everything got reset and i had 8% to go without having to worry about annihilate stacks, last resort and haft also reset.
    At this point is was fairly easy.

I got lucky that Velen did not die while i was being resurrected but there we go

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    dps is an important part of tanks
    not if you listen to all the DPS that whine every time we are allowed to shine for a moment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Crutches View Post
    I dont disagree that DPS is important as a tank when pushing the bleeding edge of progression, every bit helps. This on the other hand is VASTLY different from one tank to the next. To require one tank to deal with DOUBLE the health as every other tank(pally) is ludicrous. To force prot warriors to deal with 90% magic damage is pretty unfair as well but at least they can complete it if they are 910+. Myself, as a 910 mythic raiding prot paladin am literally unable to complete this challenge due to the fact that I have to contend with the same as every other tank, yet everything has double the health and paladins do fffarrrr from double every other tanks damage.
    couldn't have said it any better.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cazz17 View Post
    I found this much more difficult on my guardian druid than on any of my other tanks, any advice?
    you are being punished for the early exploits of others.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Is there a place where I can read only descriptions of phases and abilities, instead of step-by-step guides?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by procne View Post
    Is there a place where I can read only descriptions of phases and abilities, instead of step-by-step guides?
    This information can be found on wowhead

www dot wowhead.com/quest=45416/the-highlords-return (no links allowed)

This is a two phase fight. Phase 1 takes place against Inquisitor Variss and Phase 2 takes place against Highlord Krull himself.

Phase 1

Aura of Decay - The inquisitor is always surrounded by a Necrotic Aura which reduces your max health as you stand in it.
    Mind Rend - An interruptable cast that deals moderate damage to the target.
    Drain Life - An interruptable cast that drains health from its target.

Tormenting Eye:

Inquisitive Stare - A channeled spell that, when completed, will knock back its target if it is not looking at the eye.
    Tormenting Eye - Prevents the Tormenting Eye from being damaged by Physical attacks (Guardian Druid, Protection Paladin only)

Smoldering Infernal:

The Smoldering Infernal never truly dies and will reform after some time.
    Fel Resonation - The infernal will lose 10% health and deal minor damage to all enemies. This occurs until the Smoldering Infernal reaches 20% health, at which point the Smoldering Infernal will take bonus physical damage.
    Smash - The infernal will smash in a straight line in front of it, knocking all enemies back.

Nether Horror:
    Psytalons - The Nether Horror's melee attacks will apply Psytalons.
    Nether Storm - After a long cast, begins a channel which will deal massive damage to anything nearby. Nether Horrors can move while channeling this ability.

Phase 2

Periodically throughout the phase, purple beams will cross the platform which attempt to push the player off the platform.
    Annihilate - Krull will use this on his primary target and increase all damage taken. This effect stacks. Interrupting Krull's cast of Annihilate will make him cast it again.
    Netherstomp - Krull jumps on his target and leaves a fire puddle that deals massive damage to any creature standing in it.
    Twisted Reflection - An interruptable spell that will place Twisted Reflection on the target. Melee attacks made against this debuffed player heal Krull for 5% of his health.

Smoldering Infernal:

The Smoldering Infernal never truly dies and will reform after some time.
    Fel Resonation - The infernal will lose 10% health and deal minor damage to all enemies. This occurs until the Smoldering Infernal reaches 20% health, at which point the Smoldering Infernal will take bonus physical damage.
    Smash - The infernal will smash in a straight line in front of it, knocking all enemies back.

Nether Horror:

4 Nether Horror adds will spawn from portals around the arena approximately every 40 seconds.
    Psytalons - The Nether Horror's melee attacks will apply Psytalons.
    Nether Storm - After a long cast, begins a channel which will deal massive damage to anything nearby. Nether Horrors can move while channeling this ability.

Velen

Velen is here to aid you! Unfortunately, he doesn't heal that often but does help with Holy Ward orbs and dealing damage.
    Holy Ward - Velen will place down a sphere approximately every 30 seconds. Running into it will interrupt and blind all enemies for 5 seconds, while healing the player and cleansing them of any magic debuffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Baronthefirst View Post
    No it isn't impossible it just isn't a test of tanking skill. As I have been going in try after try I have been looking at ways to not increase my survivability or how to execute mechanics better but I have been looking at what I have to do to do more DPS. I have been changing my gear and taking everything with Haste as a ilvl 905 Prot Paladin. I am now at 25% haste. In my guilds raids I am keeping up with low end DPS if not beating some of them. I even double our other tanks DPS on almost every boss fight.

Now I am not saying a tanks DPS shouldn't matter at all but it is far too important in this encounter and isn't what being a tank is about and it isn't why I chose to be a tank. With all my tries I have not once felt like I failed due to a tanking mechanic. There is something very wrong with that and I would like to believe that if these encounters got properly tested that this wouldn't have released the way it is.
    exactly, its why i haven't bothered... if i wanted to DPS i'd be DPS spec not prot. this challenge shows zero raid tank ability minus a bit of add pick up.

Ironically, my friend keeps insisting its fine b.c. this not a tank challenge its a class challenge to show how well you know your class not your ability to tank ..... we finally agreed to disagree on that.
    Member:BFA Alpha, Member since 2/7/2018

Finally beat it after 200+ attempts (Just happy I got it before tomb.) :P This may be a bit old now with all of the nerfs and how many traits people have, but I figure I'll post my stuff below.

Also, just to put this out first, it felt more like I had gotten really lucky on Kruul timer's for the attempt in which I killed him. He avoided stacking any abilities, and didn't jump on me when I was near him. (or the one time he did jump from melee range, I happen to have precast Blessing of Freedom)

Here are my stats:

Duration: 5m 46s; 739 dps.

904 item level with two-piece from Nighthold. I had all of my traits except for Concordance.

No Legendary pants, so I used the the belt (Thrayn), and the neck (Prydaz).

Trinket's were Fang of Tichondrius for the strength and heal CD, and Claw and Crystalline Scorpid for strength and AoE burst. I even had a 890 version of that ring which boosts auto-attack damage by 10%, because it has both haste/crit (great for a damage tankadin), and it's 0.3% or so more damage for free. lol

Food was Bear Tartare, flask was Strength, went budget with the potion and just used a prolong, and drums were used on Kruul with Avenging up.

Talents were:
    Blessed Hammer
    First Avenger
    Fist of Justice <- Very nice for delaying every Annihilate
    Cavalier
    Hand of the Protector
    Judgement of Light
    Seraphim

The biggest gear fix I think I made was putting on a piece of gear with speed. Brought my movement up from 102% to 109%, and made it a lot easier to keep on the move for Infernal Slams and Kruul Leaps.

He only hit me with two annihilates, which also made a huge difference. Took the first two, and then stunned the third, and used BoP before he came out of the stun, so when he came out and casted it, he casted it on the demon hunter; this avoids the bonus damage he would normally get for auto-attacks/leaps because of the third annihilate stack on me (which boosts all of his damage, not just annihilate). I feel like this made a huge difference.

Pretty sure the Legendary belt with drums gave me enough burst to kill Kruul before a fourth annihilate (and again, I think I got lucky and he simply delayed his annihilate timer a bunch). Though I should of had bubble up for it if need be.
    ________

As far as what I think of it, I honestly liked the healer challenge way more. Far less RNG, so when you messed up, it didn't feel like it was because the boss decided to stack abilities. I still enjoyed it, I just wish there were fewer pseudo-random timers. Would have been better if there were multiple challenges (like the healer one), and each section had one or two random timers in it to minimized that random frustration. I really don't have a problem with untrackable timers (I actually like them since I don't really use DBM/Bigwigs in raids, and would rather not have to watch timers), but when the whole fight is a bunch of random timers thrown your way at one time, you can just be boned for stupid reasons.

Add those random timers on top of hoping for Avenging Shield to proc over and over in order to do the damage you need and you're just asking for frustrating moments.
    Last edited by Zookz25; 2017-06-10 at 07:22 AM.

Just completed it as a prot paladin...907ilvl. heroic tier 2PC....legs and neck as legendaries....memento and royal dagger as trinkets (i used royal dagger because of the extra life for Kruuls annihilates).

I've put in over 100 attempts...most of the wipes were because of smash knockback...i have not experienced any bugs in 99% of attempts.

Biggest tips i can give is to maximize dps on Kruul and save as many Orbs as possible for him...HoJ plus the orbs disorient is clutch on Kruul when he's about to cast Twisted reflection or after a stomp or to delay annihilates...running clockwise of counter-clockwise when fighting kruul is the best....never backtrack because a smash will catch you...save Steed for running to an orb for (ohhshit) moments. If you constantly move then the stomp will play little effect because you'll be 80% out of it after he casts it...

For annihilate i used the following CDs...1st i let it hit its no prob...2nd i used AD (because i have it on 1minCD) ...3rd i used Guardian....4th i used AD again (if its not off CD then u can use BoP)....if you are about to get a 5th annihilate you can delay with HoJ and Orbs for about 10 sec... he should die by that point.

Its definitely the hardest encounter i've faced...good luck to all

Completed this on Vengeance Demon Hunter the other day and have made a guide for anyone that may need some help.

Found this a great deal easier on the DH than I did on my DK.
    With Imprison being on a 15 seconds CD phase 1 becomes so much easier to manage and not having to worry about knock backs due to having glide is also a huge bonus.

All the best
    Last edited by Darkmech; 2017-06-12 at 05:12 AM. Reason: trying to embed the video

Quote Originally Posted by Darkmech View Post
    Completed this on Vengeance Demon Hunter the other day and have made a guide for anyone that may need some help.

Found this a great deal easier on the DH than I did on my DK.
    With Imprison being on a 15 seconds CD phase 1 becomes so much easier to manage and not having to worry about knock backs due to having glide is also a huge bonus.

All the best
    Regarding the comment about glide, in case anyone didn't know, you can use goblin gliders also in case you get knocked back. I haven't killed it myself on my pally yet (can't get Kruul below 15ish percent) but I've been getting to Kruul much more consistently now that I know about this. Cheers!

Deleted
    Guardian druid here.

No Luffas or Eko.

My problem:
    In P2 Kruul casts his twisted reflection spell. I interrupt this.
    He instantly casts it again.

me not likey - any ideas?

Sounds like a bug, he shouldn't be doing it. Are you sure it's the twisted reflection both times and not annihilation?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylvannah View Post
    Guardian druid here.

No Luffas or Eko.

My problem:
    In P2 Kruul casts his twisted reflection spell. I interrupt this.
    He instantly casts it again.

me not likey - any ideas?
    if you're using a stun/silence or something of that sort, as soon as he can cast again he'll try to re-cast twisted reflection. If you're not using any of these and he's doing it try using them or the healing orbs to keep him locked down until you can interrupt again. if he just keeps casting it after that it's some sort of bug

Deleted
    I used skull bash (standard interrupt) and mighty bash (talent).

Well, I'll try again next time the tower is up and report back what's what.

Anyways, thanks guys!