Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    So is Velen supposed to be dpsing at all? Cause in the Prot Paladin version, he does ZERO damage or healing

watched the vid and so disappointing not seeing much that is true to tanking, just more tank dps race stuff like i feared from comments : (
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by By the Emperor View Post
    Tanking to me is protecting/defending allies from danger, keeping them from harms way and using whatever tools we have to survive. In this challenge, we're not defending anything (Velen doesn't count) and our focus is to deal damage. As I said before, this challenge could just as well have been used for a damage dealer, as nothing about it is specific for tanks.
    Why Velen doesn't count? adds target him and he can die and fail the encounter. Boss ability hit for almost half my hp if I don't use my AM properly as prot pala, boss has to be interrupted or stunned else he will fuck you up with drain life, infernals has to be kited, you need to dodge push backs and learn when to use the healing/stunning orb from velen.
    In p2 you have a hard hitting ability + deadly debuff from the boss you need to time your cds on and lasers that knock you off the platform.

There is not just dps to this. They could have very well put a timer on it and say survive 5 min in p1 and 5 min in p2 and you will be done, instead they went for this approach that if you know how to do dps on your char you have an advantage. You are taking risks when you dps and you need to know when you can take it and when you should avoid it.

Even in the mythic + tank dps helps the group. If you don't do dps your group won't go that far.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm pretty sure there are some survivability aspects in the dps scenarios even though I haven't seen any video about them but I don't see any dps complaining they need to stay alive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    Why Velen doesn't count? adds target him and he can die and fail the encounter. Boss ability hit for almost half my hp if I don't use my AM properly as prot pala, boss has to be interrupted or stunned else he will fuck you up with drain life, infernals has to be kited, you need to dodge push backs and learn when to use the healing/stunning orb from velen.
    In p2 you have a hard hitting ability + deadly debuff from the boss you need to time your cds on and lasers that knock you off the platform.

There is not just dps to this. They could have very well put a timer on it and say survive 5 min in p1 and 5 min in p2 and you will be done, instead they went for this approach that if you know how to do dps on your char you have an advantage. You are taking risks when you dps and you need to know when you can take it and when you should avoid it.

Even in the mythic + tank dps helps the group. If you don't do dps your group won't go that far.
    Velen doesn't count because he's never put in harms way regardless. The adds flock to me whether I want them to or not, the moment they spawn, they run towards me.

The bosses ability doesn't hurt much for as long as you never go above 4 stacks, and as it's magic damage my regular mitigation doesn't work on it anyway.

I've never felt the need to kite the infernals, their damage isn't even noticable, they are an annoyance with their knockback, that's it. I ignore them and let them die from the aoe I deal to the arcane adds which are the biggest threat.

The drain life isn't much of a threat, I have the boss on focus and can range interrupt him at any time.

DPS is all it's about, it doesn't matter how well you survive, position the adds, interrupt them or kite them as they won't die unless you kill them, which means damage > everything in this challenge thereby => it's a dps challenge.

Deleted
    Velen doesn't count because he's never put in harms way regardless. The adds flock to me whether I want them to or not, the moment they spawn, they run towards me.

The bosses ability doesn't hurt much for as long as you never go above 4 stacks, and as it's magic damage my regular mitigation doesn't work on it anyway.

I've never felt the need to kite the infernals, their damage isn't even noticable, they are an annoyance with their knockback, that's it. I ignore them and let them die from the aoe I deal to the arcane adds which are the biggest threat.

The drain life isn't much of a threat, I have the boss on focus and can range interrupt him at any time.

DPS is all it's about, it doesn't matter how well you survive, position the adds, interrupt them or kite them as they won't die unless you kill them, which means damage > everything in this challenge thereby => it's a dps challenge.
    No, the adds don't flock to you. The arcane adds actually go for Velen, and on a try or 2 on my attempts, they actually managed to kill him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    No, the adds don't flock to you. The arcane adds actually go for Velen, and on a try or 2 on my attempts, they actually managed to kill him.
    Actually they do in every single attempt I've made, could be the self healing providing threat I suppose. Haven't had to pick them up even once.

The fact that you master all the survival aspects doesn't mean they are not there. Adds go for velen unless you aggro them in some way, a lot of classes can't get back on the platform with charge or leap so they can die from pushback and some people might miss the interrupts or die from magic damage. I was watching slootbag yesterday and he died on his warrior way before dps check even occurred.

So Grats you are indeed good at surviving the mechanics of the fight if they are no threat to you. Now you need to learn how to properly dps on your tank class. Maybe you'll become a better tank after you kill Kruul.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NadEFurY View Post
    What class are you? Every video I've seen of a non-Paladin, they do seem to run straight for the tank.

how dafuq are paladins supposed to deal twice as much dmg as the other tanks?
    Shoot whoever let 3.0 go live.

Quote Originally Posted by kiklion View Post
    It's hilarious when people say a tank shouldn't be focusing on damage. Tanks always focused on damage and shit tanks who can't do dps now used to be shit tanks that couldn't hold threat. Only difference is before those tanks weren't ever taken anywhere because generating low threat meant the dps were hindered as well and had to hold back. Now they can at least get groups and practice to get better. Also now your threat is more easily measured as previously you only had to out threat the people you ran with. So semi shit tanks running with low dps people didn't know they were bad.

And there is more than dps in this challenge. Positioning, cd timings, interrupts, CC, kiting etc.
    This is so true. If I could I would press like on your comment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rynin View Post
    So is Velen supposed to be dpsing at all? Cause in the Prot Paladin version, he does ZERO damage or healing
    He does not damage he just spawn orbs. Prot pala challenge has more hp than the one for other tanks making it almost impossible atm or just very very long. You are looking at a 10 min fight in 910+ ilvl.

man if they nerf arcane adds hp by just a tiny bit this would be easy doable

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone understand how to make the infernal turn small? He doesnt knock you away too far when hes tiny.

If you're a blood DK just flat out ignore the eyes, they're worth more alive to you than dead. Pick Blooddrinker and use it on Variss whenever you're not in melee range. Also I've broken phase 2 like 3 times now and only once has Kruul not despawned instantly. Has this happend to anyone else?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrunner01 View Post
    If you're a blood DK just flat out ignore the eyes, they're worth more alive to you than dead. Pick Blooddrinker and use it on Variss whenever you're not in melee range. Also I've broken phase 2 like 3 times now and only once has Kruul not despawned instantly. Has this happend to anyone else?
    what do you mean they are worth more alive? for blood plague?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kendros View Post
    man if they nerf arcane adds hp by just a tiny bit this would be easy doable

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone understand how to make the infernal turn small? He doesnt knock you away too far when hes tiny.

if you kite infernals into the aura they lose hp and turn small

I'm gonna have to retract that. I was consistently reaching p2 by doing this because only 1 eye will beam you at once, but it looks like they're deployed a hotfix that lets multiple eyes beam you making this incredibly unreliable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackrunner01 View Post
    I'm gonna have to retract that. I was consistently reaching p2 by doing this because only 1 eye will beam you at once, but it looks like they're deployed a hotfix that lets multiple eyes beam you making this incredibly unreliable.
    i see. doesnt seem too bad killing them anyway, not if you can reliably kill the arcane adds anyway. what i do is kill eyes when arcane adds are dead or channeling

Well wow is an easy game boys, doing mechanics is the MINIMUM required for a mythic encounter, thats why they tune the bosses so you need to do perfect mechanics and maintain your dps rotation near perfect to beat the enrage, and yes that is pretty fucking hard, look at any log on the M NH bosses past the first 3, every tiny bit of dps counts and makes the fight easier, yes maybe some healer are not doing damage, but they are 3/4 healing the fight so the raid has one more dps, and just like a dps class needs do to mechanics while still maintaning high damage, a tank is suposse to do that too, just a diferent type of mechanics and a diferent type of dps requirement.
    On every first kill you see, if the raid had 300-400k more dps (usually thats a good tank dps) the fight would have ended with all players alive.

So yeah, wow is old, it has got to a point that dodging fire is not a challenge anymore, and the only way to make it a little bit harder, is to have you multitask, also a rotation is way harder than a scripted stuff that you know what will happen.
    Last edited by dionim; 2017-04-04 at 07:34 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Valarius View Post
    What class are you? Every video I've seen of a non-Paladin, they do seem to run straight for the tank.
    Signature m8... is it that hard to like, click?

Paladin.

Main-spec holy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deliverer View Post
    There is not just dps to this. They could have very well put a timer on it and say survive 5 min in p1 and 5 min in p2 and you will be done, instead they went for this approach that if you know how to do dps on your char you have an advantage.
    It's not just dps, but what people are complaining about is that dps is the most prominent aspect of the challenge, and you can't deny it.
    Damage it's not what tanking is about. A good tank will always optmize damage, but is should be in no way be the top priority. I expected this to be a survival challenge, instead unless you screw up there is really no way to die if not from knockbacks.

P1 is all about burning voidlings and eyes to optimize damage on inquisitor, and P2 is essentially just a dps race where you must kill Krull before he stacks too much and instashots you. Just because you have to kick regulary and have basic knolwedge of positioning/kiting doesn't mean it's a tank challenge.

In the end, it's a very poor desined challenge. It doesn't take into account the difference between the various tank classes, and with the current tank balance is not a good thing, especially all that magic damage going around.

Deleted
    Whoever says tank need to focus on dps obviously mentally challenged and does not understand simple terms as DAMAGE DEALER, TANK, HEALER...

Okay let me explain how tanking really works in the real life.
    First off you focus on surviving. Some bosses hit tanks for tons of damage every second that requires a lot of mitigation, making you focus on a more defensive rotation. As you outgear the boss or the Raid you take less and less damage, and thats when you start focusing on DPSing since you wont be taking as much damage. Now some bosses barely hit tanks except when the boss is about to use a tankbuster. On those fights, since healers can keep you up without much effort, you should be focusing on a dps rotation. If you dont care about dps on these situations youre just slacking as a tank. Tank dps is a thing since WoTLK.

Now the dps required for this challenge is pure bullshit because youre supposed to mitigate, interrupt and burn adds asap all that while kitting the infernal and runing for eyes and healing balls. Its really poor designed since some tanks require a target at all times (Blood DKs) to be able to reduce damage they take and heal themselves, not to mention their aoe is stationary if hes not standing on top of DnD he cant aoe.
    Last edited by Kendros; 2017-04-04 at 11:47 PM.