Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Why Sacrolash is NOT mandatory for the Mage Tower Affliction Challenge

I was one of the first people to complete it on EU after refining strategy by watching/helping yipzarena out when he did it on stream. Big respect to him as i believe he was one of the first if not THE first on US/world to do it. Here are a few reasons why doing the challenge is possible without the ring.

1. Despite multiple people have been able to do it over the last few days, myself included, it seems that alot of people STILL are saying "its impossible without sacrolash".

2. Infernal/voidwalker tanking still works and makes p1 trivial. Even if it is "fixed", you can still kite for a very long time (about 90 seconds) with the correct cc usage. This puts the dps req at a minimum of around 470k.

3. Having amazing gear helps of course, but lower and lower item level people are starting to complete it without sacrolash. I think the lowest claimed item level kill so far was 900 and I was 904 without perfect play.

4. Its supposed to be hard! I felt a sense of accomplishment when i killed it, something not a whole lot of things these days do in wow.

5. People who are unable to do it with 900+ Ilvl refuse to realize that maybe they are doing something wrong and would rather blame legendaries because they are so used to being catered to with rewards for doing nothing.

Tl;dr Git Gud or Die Tryin'

Note: I have Sacrolash but chose not to use it because I found it more fun that way.
    My Kill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lseu...jvuryzh044qs0k

Sincerly, Sjeletyven/Sjeletyven1/Gelètyven

I've done it too without the Ring, it is almost impossible compared to the other classes/specs.
    Edit Signature.

just did this challenge without ring.

I used chronoshard + neck combo and legendary pants ( 30% movespeed 6k haste proc and 2 warlock portal usage) and suphuz secret to get movespeed from procs ( CC on sephuz ) and passive movespeed.

Try to use Bloodlust on first phase because its the most dps check phase in the battle, the other 2 phases the dps check is less tighter.

You need proper kiting and smart doombringer slow ( 4 sec slow ) and fear usage ( to proc sephuz )

I used the same build as OP did you CANNOT let the 20 stack of agony drop down or you`ll probably fail on dps check ( I`m ilvl 904 without legendary hood )

it took me around 30 tries.
    Last edited by blackops2008; 2017-04-05 at 11:15 PM.

Deleted
    Mandatory or not it is clearly exceptionally harder than it is for other classes like frost mages and that is whats baffles me, not really happy it took me 30+ attempts and it only took my frost mage friend 3 and my friend with the ring 2. I kinda wish I had just waited until I had the ring because it was nothing short of stressful really.

I like your videos and watched this one before I did this challenge myself (went sl like you did) Hovever you did it with portal pants > 2 teleports. I did it with sephuz like yipz and I also used devilsaur shockbatton. It's impossible to do if you don't have one of these 3 legendaries. Also encounter is bugged to hell, paladin can go through obstacles for example, your pet can randomly disappear and the most retarded one which prove that they're not tested it at all is that your gateway can disappear (one portal or both) if you go far away. Also affliction is on the same challenge as specs who able to infinity slow mobs while casting on move and our DG slow is put on pvp duration for no reason.

So the only challenge for me was to deal with 1st phase retarded mechanics as immobile spec without perma slow, once done second and third phases were walk in the park because of gear (910 equipped) and paladin who started chasing me again with like 60-70hp is a joke too. Also I pushed drums on p2. Funny thing is: you can sustain his damage many times with prydaz/pact/demonskin but it's part where retarded bugs come in, and he start to throw you on top of objects and then evade or teleport-oneshot you. And yeah today ring dropped for me ._. Demo and destro challenges are both joke.
    Last edited by Sunlighthell; 2017-04-06 at 01:11 AM.

Not a knock or shot at the op, but I'm looking for a vid of someone doing it without one of either Sephuz, Sacro, or the pants. Otherwise, while it may not be 'impossible', we still remain a class spec with one of the most incomprehensibly difficult challenges.
    Last edited by Rhonen; 2017-04-06 at 10:33 PM.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

Sje, I love you, but you know without ring it's a LOT harder than it is for most of the other classes.

Mandatory or not, the problem is that it is being made artificially more difficult than other classes with the same encounter because they decided to make Cripple behave as if it is PVP instead of PVE. No other spec that has the Twins encounter had their PVE abilities adjusted for "reasons" (frost mage, mm hunter, s.priest - all their slows work exactly as they do in PVE encounters)

I'm all for hard - I completed Green Fire 2-3 weeks after it was available (and after 60-70 wipes) and it is the most fun I've had in the game - but this is nothing like Green Fire. Green Fire gave us our full PVE toolkit and told us to play perfectly with it, where this challenge is eliminating our counter to the main boss mechanic of the fight to create artificial challenge while leaving those same counters active for every other spec that has the challenge.

The problem isn't that we need Sacrolash, the problem is that Cripple should actually behave like a PVE encounter is a PVE encounter.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlighthell View Post
    I like your videos and watched this one before I did this challenge myself (went sl like you did) Hovever you did it with portal pants > 2 teleports. I did it with sephuz like yipz and I also used devilsaur shockbatton. It's impossible to do if you don't have one of these 3 legendaries. Also encounter is bugged to hell, paladin can go through obstacles for example, your pet can randomly disappear and the most retarded one which prove that they're not tested it at all is that your gateway can disappear (one portal or both) if you go far away. Also affliction is on the same challenge as specs who able to infinity slow mobs while casting on move and our DG slow is put on pvp duration for no reason.

So the only challenge for me was to deal with 1st phase retarded mechanics as immobile spec without perma slow, once done second and third phases were walk in the park because of gear (910 equipped) and paladin who started chasing me again with like 60-70hp is a joke too. Also I pushed drums on p2. Funny thing is: you can sustain his damage many times with prydaz/pact/demonskin but it's part where retarded bugs come in, and he start to throw you on top of objects and then evade or teleport-oneshot you. And yeah today ring dropped for me ._. Demo and destro challenges are both joke.
    I did it without baton/sephuz/sacrolash, i was 906 equipped. Took me an awful alot of tries but at the end my whispers trinket managed to proc about 12 times which lead me to the kill.

Deleted
    It's just like the proving grounds, and they weren't a level playing field in terms of difficulty for different classes either. That was a right old faff around because seed of corruption was godawful for killing the little adds and your interrupt was tied to a pet. Anyone who felt bad if they had trouble as an afflock just had to do it as a huntard and think "fuck me"

I would imagine the kiting stuff is a lot less problematic for frost mages, with their slows and burst.

There will always be this problem when you get a scenario shared across different classes.

As the post above points out, I can;t really see why the only slow we've got, Cripple, is nerfed to PVP levels - four seconds lol. The class with one of the worst burst specs in the game gets a four-second slow lol

Even witha 30-second cripple the stacking speed buff will eventually overcome it.

As has been said, without the Sacrolash slow it's magnitudes harder. It doesn;t help that our interrupt is tied to a bloody pet either.

Sje you're one of the top afflocks around and even you found it a challenge. It's not just "Git Gud" it;s like "Get Mythic Raider Gud"

I'm honest enough to admit I don;t and can;t play at that level, for one thing I'm not inclined to invest the amoutn of time and effort into it.

Deleted
    burning rush
    portal
    pet taunt?

you know who got a hard time ? a shadow without any of this Shit. Doing this as an Affliction Lock is a Joke with decent Gear Levels

Quote Originally Posted by MrFiddleswitch View Post
    The problem isn't that we need Sacrolash, the problem is that Cripple should actually behave like a PVE encounter is a PVE encounter.
    This exactly.
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by Rhonen View Post
    This exactly.
    Nope, making it have 30 sec duration would make the challenge too easy.

4 sec slow is useful as hell if you know when to use it :

I use it 2 times in p1 : as beginning and at the end when the boss reach high stacks and i have no more portal/fear.

p2: I use it on knight when a hand spawns so i have time to cast 2 or 3 Unstable affliction and then its dead.

p3 : I use it on knight when a rune spawns and its about to explode so i can soak it easily.

Smart cc and slow usage is key. If you cant do it you're bad and shouldnt have this skin, and sacrolash slow should be disabled in this challenge because it makes the fight easy as hell, it's a nobrain.

Sephuz and portal leg are okay because you need to use your brain to use it in a smart way ( Using fear at right times to proc sephuz move speed and portals at right position and time also ) Sacrolash is just a no-brainer perma slow.

The challenge skins are intended to be completed by good players with average gear ( i did it with 904 ilvl and there's people that did it with sub 900 ilvl without sacrolash also ) if you're bad or have awful gear you should wait until you overgear the challenge and faceroll it.
    Last edited by blackops2008; 2017-04-06 at 10:58 PM.

What is considered average ilvl? I assumed 840 based off what I see most people walking around in. I haven't seen anyone in that range complete one of these challenges yet.

10+ Year Old Account
    I managed to have pvp mode active (usually only able to bug that in world pve), so i had Rot and Decay and other nice talents with me into the encounter.

Question, how do you get your pet to tank him?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Inshabel View Post
    Question, how do you get your pet to tank him?
    Only works in ph1 which allows you to stock pile souls etc

Consistent method to get infernal to tank is to stand on top of him when he engages combat with you and spam pet attack.
    You will take on hit from him which depending on your HPs will leave you with next to none but it works.
    Then just ensure you do not over agro the Infernal and also keep him topped up with health funnel. This phase is not a race afterall.

Quote Originally Posted by cobz715 View Post
    Only works in ph1 which allows you to stock pile souls etc

Consistent method to get infernal to tank is to stand on top of him when he engages combat with you and spam pet attack.
    You will take on hit from him which depending on your HPs will leave you with next to none but it works.
    Then just ensure you do not over agro the Infernal and also keep him topped up with health funnel. This phase is not a race afterall.
    Thanks, gonna try it the next time the tower is up.

Quote Originally Posted by blackops2008 View Post
    Sephuz and portal leg are okay because you need to use your brain to use it in a smart way ( Using fear at right times to proc sephuz move speed and portals at right position and time also ) Sacrolash is just a no-brainer perma slow.

The challenge skins are intended to be completed by good players with average gear ( i did it with 904 ilvl and there's people that did it with sub 900 ilvl without sacrolash also ) if you're bad or have awful gear you should wait until you overgear the challenge and faceroll it.
    Nope, I don't think you can say certain legendaries are ok, and certain ones are not. Each one trivializes a specific aspect of the fight in some way. How you can say "good players in average gear", and then say specific legos that you may have used are appropriate, is beyond me. I don't consider any legendaries "average" gear.

I understand that it makes some people feel good about themselves to be able to call other players bad for not completing it, or not doing it the way 'they' did it, but I'm not going to say there should be only one or two ways to do it either.
    Remember 3.0.......

Quote Originally Posted by helic View Post
    What is considered average ilvl? I assumed 840 based off what I see most people walking around in. I haven't seen anyone in that range complete one of these challenges yet.
    840 is the average item level of chars that have less than 5 hours play time on max level. even the regular mythics drop 865 now. If you have a warlock alt that you leveled to 110 2 months ago and have done LFR twice with that since, this stuff isn't meant for you. Anyone that's raiding every 2nd week in a non-mythic guild should be in the 890 area now.

Those people should simply wait. The green fire quest line was tough to do in the first weeks after its release even for people in hardcore mythic (back then heroic) guilds. But if you waited a few months, another raid tier was released, item level went up and it was accessible pretty much everyone. That's going to be the same thing here. I doubt they will scale him up. ToS will elevate everyone item level and there's another raid release afterwards. When Argus? comes out, item levels will go up again. Legendaries will get buffed again. Everyone char will have more traits. And this stuff will be pretty simple.