Page 29 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Aizen244 View Post
    I don't get it, why is this game so good and everyone talks about it? It looks like a generic fantasy mmo to me similar to ESO. I saw a scene with a siege on youtube and it looked cool but overall I don't understand what systems it has that will drive it to the top.

What is so attractive about this game besides the graphics?
    I mean no offense by this, but you have obviously already been presented with all the reasons people like the game... if you have not already been convinced to try it out for yourself... I doubt anything anyone says here will change your mind.

There aren't many MMOs out there compared to other games seeing as they take so much backing to make, so if you are into MMOs a new one with decent funding behind it is worth the hype. I'll try it out, regardless of what people are saying about it.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    She intrigued a lot of people with her strategy and how you can win

I don't get it, why is this game so good and everyone talks about it? It looks like a generic fantasy mmo to me similar to ESO. I saw a scene with a siege on youtube and it looked cool but overall I don't understand what systems it has that will drive it to the top.

What is so attractive about this game besides the graphics?
    Basically about a year ago LazyPeon made a video about Ashes which got a lot of views and got picked up by other people like Asmongold this then sparked a lot of interest in the game which has been growing since then.

If you want to know why it's hyped then I would watch the original LazyPeon vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s82xJnx1EY

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It is sandbox PvP MMO, a genre that has no active games on it right now.
    Wonder why...

10+ Year Old Account
    The game looks genuinely fun. The combat looks really fun and they are making it even more fun with the next alpha build. Crafting and gathering look intuitive and fun and again, next alpha, they plan to make them even more fun. They also plan to open up pvp in either alpha 2 or alpha 1 but according to the plans they have, I get the feeling that their pvp won't be for shits and giggles like the other pvp mmo we have seen until now. The loot system looks very simple and straight forward, only the most essential things are looted by players and they want to refine loot system even more. On death, people drop some loot but not so much that we would have to break our breaks. Overall, as it is now, I am quite hyped for it, if they just build more upon it, it will be awesome.
    Warcraft 3 Reign of Chaos was the game that brought me into gaming. I was 17 years old then, I abhorred gaming before this game. From then on, I became a fan of Warcraft and Blizzard. To see it all go down the drain like this is truly sad for me. No king rules forever but at least some of them went down in history as real badasses. I hoped Blizzard and Warcraft would be one of them but it is no longer possible.

MMO Star Citizen.

Star Citizen has fans, and it definitely has critics. All have their reasons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven View Post
    Except it was, they might claim it wasnt for the money but only took them like around 2 years to sell the company.
    Two things should be clarified about this:
    (1) Blizzard was never independent and was always owned by another company, at the time of the merger it was Vivendi.
    (2) When Activision Blizzard was created, it was Vivendi who maintained the controlling stake of the company before a massive buyback of shares almost a decade later (which, strangely enough, the WoW token's release followed this buyback).

Blizzard was not bad at the beginning, though it could be argued that those who maintained a controlling stake in the company may have been.
    Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Merged with the megathread so we're keeping discussion to one place.

If i get this right this is a devil triangle of sandbox, pvp, good old days of MMO games? Like crafting, survival, horror/scary/dinos for that other type?

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    What I am saying is that your not the same person you were 20 years ago.
    You've been playing MMO's for over a decade, individual MMO's may do some things different but you know the general formula inside and out. And your brain is going to analyse and compare thing. "wow this is cool, ohh that looks great, meh WoW did that better, that is sweet, this is dumb EQ figured out how to do this better" ect.

People had it when Classic was released, here was the original WoW. The game they get lost in when it came out and that may or may not have defined their life going forward, the ultimate chance to relive those wonderful years. But it falls flat because they are not the child/young adult they were 14 years ago.

That feeling of wonder and being lost in a world you don't know is not going to come back unless you find a way to erase over a decade of memories.
    And yet people keep jumping on every new MMO that gets announced because they cling to the hope that this time will be different, this time that feeling will come back.
    And unless its so groundbreakingly innovative that its basically unrecognisable as what we consider an MMO now, its never going to meet that expectation.
    You are 100% wrong.

First of all just because something is same genere doesn't mean I will have even remotely same experience with two different titles.
    Some shooters I played 10 years ago were a total garbage and I had insane fun with one of the recent titles.
    Criminal tv series I watched when i was a kid was a blast, had even more fun watching one of the recent ones.
    MMOs are literally the same thing. For example for New World I have zero hope, from the very fist alpha till now. XIV however got me kinda hooked again.

Second, age has nothing to do with anything. When I fist started playing Satisfactory like year ago I just couldn't stop. I don't remember having that feeling ever when I "woke up" from a trance after 10h of gameplay not knowing what hour is it.

Third, that feeling of wonder is something related to map, exploring, getting to know stuff. Experienced that recently with XIV.

And as far as AoC goes biggest plus is that this guy Steven knows shit. His opinions deeply resonates with me (like i agree with 90% he says). HOWEVER I know some of the things won't be as good as expected plus some things won't work the way they want. Still, as long as they KEEP heading towards their goal while having a clear vision I will play it.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    If i get this right this is a devil triangle of sandbox, pvp, good old days of MMO games? Like crafting, survival, horror/scary/dinos for that other type?
    Nope. It's a PvE andy game that pretends to be old school / have good crafting / Supply and demand system.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Prediction for ashes of creation launch date?

When are we going to get this game?

Can we predict when it will go live?

When are we going to get this game?

Can we predict when it will go live?
    I think its generally thought to be due out late next year or early 2023.

Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    You are 100% wrong.

First of all just because something is same genere doesn't mean I will have even remotely same experience with two different titles.
    Some shooters I played 10 years ago were a total garbage and I had insane fun with one of the recent titles.
    Criminal tv series I watched when i was a kid was a blast, had even more fun watching one of the recent ones.
    MMOs are literally the same thing. For example for New World I have zero hope, from the very fist alpha till now. XIV however got me kinda hooked again.

Second, age has nothing to do with anything. When I fist started playing Satisfactory like year ago I just couldn't stop. I don't remember having that feeling ever when I "woke up" from a trance after 10h of gameplay not knowing what hour is it.

Third, that feeling of wonder is something related to map, exploring, getting to know stuff. Experienced that recently with XIV.

And as far as AoC goes biggest plus is that this guy Steven knows shit. His opinions deeply resonates with me (like i agree with 90% he says). HOWEVER I know some of the things won't be as good as expected plus some things won't work the way they want. Still, as long as they KEEP heading towards their goal while having a clear vision I will play it.
    VR worlds give me the wow factor I had from back in the EQ days etc. But not the longevity. I honestly think spoiler sites like this have kept MMO's from really succeeding TBH. People just fire up a browser, look up how to do something and off they go. You don't have the WTF, I have no idea what this guy wants me to do, and neither does anyone else. You had to ask around, you have to just figure it out, it wasn't all documented everywhere.

Yeah we can just "ignore" these sites, but lets be real, when everyone else has the access to get ahead, you're natural instinct is to do the same. What's really missing is the unknown and the prestige of the game items. If they don't bring back the days of where one guy and one guy only pretty much has a "SoulFire" flaming ass sword and he was a bad ass, or a suit of armor only given to the top dog for x days, those type of things really made the games.

So it's a combination of things really. Will the games give a good Single player experience etc. Sure, but they really need to add some serious randomization and some uniqueness to some achievements in the game to give the prestige back. That's what made those games like they were and gave people goals and dreams to achieve in game.

Quote Originally Posted by Turismon View Post
    VR worlds give me the wow factor I had from back in the EQ days etc. But not the longevity. I honestly think spoiler sites like this have kept MMO's from really succeeding TBH. People just fire up a browser, look up how to do something and off they go. You don't have the WTF, I have no idea what this guy wants me to do, and neither does anyone else. You had to ask around, you have to just figure it out, it wasn't all documented everywhere.

Yeah we can just "ignore" these sites, but lets be real, when everyone else has the access to get ahead, you're natural instinct is to do the same. What's really missing is the unknown and the prestige of the game items. If they don't bring back the days of where one guy and one guy only pretty much has a "SoulFire" flaming ass sword and he was a bad ass, or a suit of armor only given to the top dog for x days, those type of things really made the games.

So it's a combination of things really. Will the games give a good Single player experience etc. Sure, but they really need to add some serious randomization and some uniqueness to some achievements in the game to give the prestige back. That's what made those games like they were and gave people goals and dreams to achieve in game.
    Yeah I agree. I played during the initial days of EQ. I started a little later right as they were releasing the Rise of Kunark, but I still had those WTF moments aplenty. I had to literally draw maps of the zone. Like seriously. There were no maps back then. No mini map, no arrow pointing you to where you had to go. No Question mark or exclamation mark or ANY mark above NPC's heads. You just had to walk up and /Hail them. If they said something back to you and there was a word with a "quote" marks on them then you had to actually Type back a question using that word. No one knew wtf to do back then. That made the game so much more exhilarating.
    That sense of unknown. Today games are all Solved before they even get released.

I always forget about this game. I played the alpha and F&F. It was pretty rough but I'm still excited for the finished product.

The game needs some zazz though. Something to make it more of a standout.

Nobody forces you to use these websites. And what other people do doesn't really diminish your experience, no wonder people deliberately play "blind" - which is a very good trend.

Who cares, like honestly? Who gives a damn? If you feel compelled to look at guides just because some other guy something something, that means its a you problem. Like I have never seen a guide for XIV classes and still figured out pretty decent rotation. Just play the game at your own pace.

They really don't need to change anything as organic experience is best one. Not some curated "prestige" that nobody cares. Or worse - fomo driven game design. I don't play mmo to artificially extend epeen. Don't need that. I just want a good content and fun experience.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

It's going, well already is I guess UE5. Which certainly makes it much more interesting to keep an eye on in the future, still early enough they can actually build around ue5 and not just some half assed porting only making use of a small amount of the new UE5 features ie mostly lumen. (for instance the world size was made at max of what UE4 could handle which means they in theory could go bigger now.)