Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    It has no publisher is one element to me. It’s made with a passionate leader, doesn’t seem to be a money grab and seems to be listening to feedback. In the age we live in, with the games we have got, and the way the ones we still have are being updated, it’s refreshing.

People want the mmo systems that WoW and many other mmo's have abandoned.

Its an MMO. That alone will make the MMO community hype it up into the stratosphere because they are that hungry for the experience they had in their first MMO, not realizing that feeling will never come back.

So every MMO gets hyped up and inevitably falls flat.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

It is sandbox PvP MMO, a genre that has no active games on it right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It is sandbox PvP MMO, a genre that has no active games on it right now.
    Except for Albion Online and New World. And those are proving, once again, that people say they want a pvp sandbox, but then demand a way to play safe pve anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Soikona View Post
    doesn’t seem to be a money grab
    Neither was Blizzard in the beginning

My DeviantART: http://hypzone.deviantart.com/ | Requests: Closed

Sandbox mmo with a lot of features some people think have become lost in the market.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Resheph View Post
    Except for Albion Online and New World. And those are proving, once again, that people say they want a pvp sandbox, but then demand a way to play safe pve anyway.
    New World isn't out yet and Albion uses ARPG perspective instead of normal 3rd person camera.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Well it took them long way to get as horrible as they are now.

Ashes could have few good years before it falls into predatoey money grabbing, though given the usual timeframe of Come-and-Bust MMO releases, more likely timeframe is few months.

Never understood the hype for sandbox games. It just feels like lack of content turned into a feature

Quote Originally Posted by Saiteck View Post
    Except it was, they might claim it wasnt for the money but only took them like around 2 years to sell the company.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezyah View Post
    Never understood the hype for sandbox games. It just feels like lack of content turned into a feature
    The appeal is the player influence on the world state. It obviously comes with upsides and downsides, since we obviously don't have brilliant AIs that can automatically write procedural stories and implement them.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

they have a pretty heavy social media presence. that probably helps.
    i mean Steven's even posted on this site a couple of times.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Everything except the scenery looks pretty bad to me. Influencing world state seems to be quite limited and combat is very generic.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a sandbox MMO that the developers are promising the moon. Time will tell if they can deliver on all their promises but if they are able to, it could be a pretty impressive game. Something tells me it will just be another Star Citizen or No Man's Sky however.

It seems to be made by a group of people who are passionate about what they're doing, know a lot about how to do it, are really keen on actually executing their vision, aren't bound by some publisher breathing down their neck to release something before it's done and it honestly just looks interesting.

I'm not sure there's a lot of hype, as you say, but I know many people are looking forward to seeing it finally release to see if it actually lives up to what the creators say it will.

That and...it's another MMO to add to the pile, where many of them are shit or so shallow as to not be even worth the time. I know I'm just hoping for a new, fun, not shit MMO to play instead of (or alongside) the ones I've been playing to death the last 10+ years.

The advertising they've done is actually brilliant. Their guy in charge called Steven is showing a lot of passion towards the product and is willing to talk about it with literally everyone. He even visited this board at some point. They also got Asmongold interested who he has several interviews with and hypes up the game for his audience, he seemingly enjoys the game a lot aswell. It just shows that when people talk positively about the game the hype will build up itself rather than shoving advertisements down your throat.

I don't really follow the game all that much but from I've seen from streamers, their very early alpha looks like it already has a lot of work done. A lot of extra polish needs to be done and they don't need to feel pressured because they don't have a major publisher who keeps giving them short release dates. They even didn't mind delaying the game around the time TBCC came out because they didn't want to compete with the game.

I'm not expecting all these promises that the game will have all these awesome sounding stuff (like MASSIVE PvP battles) or that the game will end up good, but so far the development for it seems very promosing to see a possible high quality game made for people who love MMORPG's. Fans making a game for other fans like the original WoW devs used to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorsameth View Post
    Its an MMO. That alone will make the MMO community hype it up into the stratosphere because they are that hungry for the experience they had in their first MMO, not realizing that feeling will never come back.

So every MMO gets hyped up and inevitably falls flat.
    Will never come back? Cut the crap. I had a greet time when I started UO. Couple years later I started WoW and had a great time too. It's a matter of innovating, not just creating a clone or slapping a MMO tag on the game as you seem to suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by Exer View Post
    Will never come back? Cut the crap. I had a greet time when I started UO. Couple years later I started WoW and had a great time too. It's a matter of innovating, not just creating a clone or slapping a MMO tag on the game as you seem to suggest.
    This is exactly what they were referring to. You won't ever get that same feeling from UO or WoW again, you need to find a new game that provides a fresh new experience to get that same feeling again. It's not that you won't ever get that feeling from ANY game ever again, but you won't get that same feeling from the same game.

Quote Originally Posted by Exer View Post
    What I am saying is that your not the same person you were 20 years ago.
    You've been playing MMO's for over a decade, individual MMO's may do some things different but you know the general formula inside and out. And your brain is going to analyse and compare thing. "wow this is cool, ohh that looks great, meh WoW did that better, that is sweet, this is dumb EQ figured out how to do this better" ect.

People had it when Classic was released, here was the original WoW. The game they get lost in when it came out and that may or may not have defined their life going forward, the ultimate chance to relive those wonderful years. But it falls flat because they are not the child/young adult they were 14 years ago.

That feeling of wonder and being lost in a world you don't know is not going to come back unless you find a way to erase over a decade of memories.
    And yet people keep jumping on every new MMO that gets announced because they cling to the hope that this time will be different, this time that feeling will come back.
    And unless its so groundbreakingly innovative that its basically unrecognisable as what we consider an MMO now, its never going to meet that expectation.
    Last edited by Gorsameth; 2021-07-30 at 07:51 PM.
    It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death

idk i've gotten that sense of wonder plenty while walking into new game worlds.
    i feel like the people failing to do so are just looking for a repeat of their first game not something new.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.