Deleted

Somewhat old player coming back with quite a few questions regarding next expansion

Hey everyone, I've played FF on and off for a few years now, I even got the heavensward but was somewhat demoralized that I had to do all previous story content to access it, so my questions are:

With the new expansion, do I also need to finish heavensward stuff so I can access it ?

Also will there be anything done to the way you can progress over expansions ? I mean.. say I create a lvl 1, and do I need to do all Vanilla, HW stuff before I even think about going for new expansion??

Also, would you consider now a good time to return ? I play a WHM and anything that's healing related =p Starting to get bored of WoW especially with the way Broken shore works and been farming NH for months now

Same as it ever was, only Red Mage and Samurai will be in 2.0 areas and you dont even need to touch HW to unlock them. Just a lvl 50 job. I'd just use those quests as a way to level those. Beats dungeon spamming.

Deleted
    Oh so I will still be forced to do main story for base and HW before I get to the new expansion ? Meh..

If you don't do the story then you'll have no idea what's going on in stormblood. If you don't care about what's going on then power click through dialog and skip cut scenes and enjoy the massive amounts of XP that MSQ gives. Really not that big of a deal

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ylsor View Post
    Oh so I will still be forced to do main story for base and HW before I get to the new expansion ? Meh..
    Some context as well.

The 3.X Main Story (HW) is much more reasonable than the 2.X Main Story (ARR)

Much shorter, and less bullshit fetch quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    High elf fans are basically flat-earth society of warcraft lore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady Alleria Windrunner View Post
    I AM the victim.

Stormblood story will pick up where Heavensward left off, so yes, you'll have to do all of the MSQ stuff for ARR and HW to get to the SB part of the story. If you already have a character that's past the ARR 2.1-2.5 mess, you're much better served to simply use that character...were it me and I really really wanted to play a "different character", I'd just opt for a fantasia potion, because I'd much rather spend $10 to not go through that 2.1-2.5 slog ever again, lol.

Fortunately, you will be able to access RDM and SAM right out of the gate, basically; those only require clearing the main story up through the Ultima Weapon questline (the end of 2.0).

There were talks of when and whether or not to introduce a "jump potion" or potions where one potion type would simply level a job on your character to max level, while a different potion would serve as a MSQ skip to get you to whatever the current xpac's story is. That being said...I would advise not to expect either of those to be introduced any time soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ylsor View Post
    Yep, though if you want to play Red Mage or Samurai, you can open those at 50 and play through Heavensward with the new jobs.

When did you stop exactly, to give an idea of where you left off in MSQ.

Deleted
    I had a max level char in RR,on lich EU but that server was so low pop that I ended up leveling another WHM in another sv can't recall name, she's at lvl... 40 somethings ? 42? or 44? so yeah I will ahve to get through everything, as for the original 50 only did a bit of the story not much really

Friend of mine started from scratch just over 3 months ago and it took maybe half that much time (and they didn't even log on every day) for them to reach level 60, so given where you are starting off at, you can be caught up on MSQ and such before SB launch.

The story starts to get much better towards the end of the 2.1-2.5 series of quests (where it starts leading into the Heavensward expansion). HW story and storytelling makes it worth getting through that slog.

With PoTD available, leveling is pretty quick.

Deleted
    Yeah I am definitely coming back, downloading the game atm, I might love WoW to death but I honestly can't play that game for much longer.. FFXIV is my new home it seems. Btw EU wise, I like populated servers, if I could get into the most populated one awesome but.. are there any other high population servers besides 1 ?

Bare in mind the expansion is like 9 weeks away, so you pick a server like Balmeme and it might be fine now but you will be looking at insane ques come june so remember that.

Now is a good time to come back and catch up. They are making the requirements to get Anima weapon upgrades easier with patch 3.7, so if you really tried you could probably catch upon the weapon and in the process get tomes to get gear so leveling will be easier when the expansion comes out.

I haven't played since 3.1 and I really don't enjoy the combat in the game. Can I when Stormblood releases level a Samurai and finish the Heavensward main story with it and the new combat system?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    Friend of mine started from scratch just over 3 months ago and it took maybe half that much time (and they didn't even log on every day) for them to reach level 60, so given where you are starting off at, you can be caught up on MSQ and such before SB launch.

The story starts to get much better towards the end of the 2.1-2.5 series of quests (where it starts leading into the Heavensward expansion). HW story and storytelling makes it worth getting through that slog.
    Good lord, really? I maxed out every Combat and Gathering profession in about 3 months. It seriously took him a month and a half just to hit 60 on ONE class? I am by no means a fast leveler, in WoW it takes me about twice as long to cap just one character than it does everyone else. But leveling in this game is so ridiculously simple and easy. Especially your first class, because you get to burn through all of Main Story Quests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Good lord, really? I maxed out every Combat and Gathering profession in about 3 months. It seriously took him a month and a half just to hit 60 on ONE class? I am by no means a fast leveler, in WoW it takes me about twice as long to cap just one character than it does everyone else. But leveling in this game is so ridiculously simple and easy. Especially your first class, because you get to burn through all of Main Story Quests.
    Considering this person may have played 4 days a week tops, a month and a half for their first time through isn't that bad (although my friend did take extra time unlocking all the level 50 dungeons before focusing back on the MSQ). Yeah, if you're playing every single day a few hours per, I have no doubt someone could reach 60 in under a month. I was simply using said friend's experience as an example to show that people still have time to get leveled up before Stormblood...and even if you aren't at max level by then, it's nothing to sweat, really. For Heavensward, I had just hit 50 on my only job at the time (BLM) 3ish weeks before HW launch and was only halfway through the 2.1-2.55 quest slog when it did release (because I got sidetracked with making the relic weapon for lulz, among other things). I was still able to get through those quests, through all of HW quests and geared up in full ilvl 180 gear prior to the release of Gordias.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Took me and 2 IRL friends roughly a month to hit 50 from scratch in 2.1. We didn't play every day, and we played for maybe 2-3 hours when we did. Maybe you don't realize how much you play lol?