Destro and Affli pros and cons.

So i am pretty new to warlocks in legion so i would appreciate if someone could explain were warlocks are atm in terms of raiding.

Since 7.2 warcraftlogs statistics says that affli is top 1.

So i guess its really good single target and got good aoe with seed of corruption.
    Is it true that multi doting isn't really a thing anymore and u get rewarded more from just channeling the boss after u get golden trait? (and even more so with T20)
    How good is it on fast switches?
    Or just cleave.
    Is it heavily dependent on legendary?

My guild is 8/10m atm and they are way to melee heavy on elisande. Since i would be fulfilling ranged role in the raid it would be my job to deal with adds on bota, elisande. And good bursty switches for eyes. Is affli really good at that?

Or for the needs described above should i just be destro?

The dilemma is that its all about maining 1 spec now and dumping ap, bad luck protection into it. And destro is really bad on aoe and grinding m+ as far as i know.

My legendaries so far are legs and affli ring.

Destro isnt that bad at aoe grinding, cataclysm and summon demonfire are great burst aoe. hell just using immolate on one target in the pack and using summon demonfire dose great numbers and the cooldown i low'ish with good haste. For bot afflic is better with the afflic ring for the slow which really helps with the adds.

Your guild needs a Destruction Warlock it seems. Affliction is rotten at target switching.

The logs you see are of Addiction Warlocks tunneling the boss while their raid team deals with mechanics. Affliction is great for farm logs but for progressing I think Destruction fills a far more vital role.

Quote Originally Posted by TummyBoy View Post
    Your guild needs a Destruction Warlock it seems. Affliction is rotten at target switching.

The logs you see are of Addiction Warlocks tunneling the boss while their raid team deals with mechanics. Affliction is great for farm logs but for progressing I think Destruction fills a far more vital role.
    Bullocks, Affliction is fine with target switching. It is dependent on having shards, but 2xUA+MG gives great burst. However, Destruction would still do better at 2 targets with Havoc.

So lets say affli switches are only slightly worse, what about AoE?

Is destro considered to be much worse vs talanted seed. Or how do they compare on occasional aoe situtatons where u would be playing single target spec but would still require bursty aoe. Like spellblade.

Which spec gets punished more by these kinda talent swapping for encounters? (Which one cant do both) Iv haired that affli suffers a lot if u take Writhe in agony and saw the seeds vs standard ST build.
    Last edited by Nephcyte; 2017-04-13 at 01:56 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by transparent View Post
    Bullocks, Affliction is fine with target switching. It is dependent on having shards, but 2xUA+MG gives great burst. However, Destruction would still do better at 2 targets with Havoc.
    the reason why destro is so much better for target switching is that he doesent really lose any boss dmg, with affli you do 0 dmg to the boss while focusing the adds for example. also when there are adds that die before you can really get your cast off(krosus for example) you do absolutely no dmg to them.
    You can argue that destro needs to get his cast off aswell but with affli you want some damage on all the adds first for wotc buff, so you waste like 4-5 globals before actually starting to do you damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephcyte View Post
    So i am pretty new to warlocks in legion so i would appreciate if someone could explain were warlocks are atm in terms of raiding.

Since 7.2 warcraftlogs statistics says that affli is top 1.

So i guess its really good single target and got good aoe with seed of corruption.
    Is it true that multi doting isn't really a thing anymore and u get rewarded more from just channeling the boss after u get golden trait? (and even more so with T20)
    How good is it on fast switches?
    Or just cleave.
    Is it heavily dependent on legendary?

My guild is 8/10m atm and they are way to melee heavy on elisande. Since i would be fulfilling ranged role in the raid it would be my job to deal with adds on bota, elisande. And good bursty switches for eyes. Is affli really good at that?

Or for the needs described above should i just be destro?

The dilemma is that its all about maining 1 spec now and dumping ap, bad luck protection into it. And destro is really bad on aoe and grinding m+ as far as i know.

My legendaries so far are legs and affli ring.
    >> Fast switches
    Affli is bad in switch, because the damage (by dots) need ramp up, so it's take time, basically almost not worth to switch any add what live less than 6~8 sec.
    That do not mean, you can't pressure, you just can't burst on the same level than anyone else. For burst & pressure, Demo the best (Demo > Destro > Affli), but with UA, you could help to kill things faster. (Funfact: with the legendary ring what could slow down adds, could give lot of extra time for other dps to kill them, e.g.: Catedral first boss flower adds or NH:Botanist, Skorpyron adds)

>> Cleave
    For 3+ target, affli pretty solid (NH:Botanist), but for 2, can't race with Destro lock. For loooot of small add with low hp, affli the best (NH:Skorpyron)

>> Legendary
    Affli could make correct and nice dps without legendaries, but keep in mind, the affli legs mostly boost affli mechanism, do not giving you flat dps increase (like destro stuffs).
    Also, keep in mind, the tierPiece set, do not give you super huge buff on dps. Actually on affli has one of the lowest impact (Avg for other specs and classes give around 8% dps increase the 4set, in affli it's ~4.2)

Affliction target switching capabilities are fine IF the target lives AT LEAST 15 seconds, considering you switch the first millisecond it spawn. Anything less and you're looking at ~300k dps and about 2 soul shards wasted.

Demo best for bursting adds?? What in the flying fuck am I reading on these forums?

if you're picking a spec for elisande/guldan, use destruction since its bonkers on both those fights. It's inferior to aff on both ST and mass aoe (i.e. m+), but against two targets (elisande, guldan) pretty much nothing beats destro

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    For LFG raids I find destruct really good.
    I don't Use Cata but F&B I find standing in the right place and a bit further back, works really well
    and avoids pulling a mob they don't want.

Posted in another thread been a destruct lock since 2006 and I'm really struggling in PVP. Even just getting attacked in on quests as I'm on PVP server
    and seriously thinking about going affliction. but as someone else said switching targets is pretty miserable. the elite Demons on the broken isle
    I can normally solo 5 of them at a time with VW. I do have the new AP power on the flame rift

There's really no point in destruction over affliction now other than a 100% 2 target fight.

Even affliction with 2 UA's and a malefic grasp does more damage/burst to a priority add than a chaosbolt. UA with MG is critting for nearly 800k for me right now.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will continue to main affli then, grinding ap and legendaries for it.

Is there a TLDR of 7.2.5 destro changes, like i get it that resource system gets changed to what it was pre legion but what does that actually means? Better aoe? QoL improvement? Or just a damage buff in a way that its not so random and u have more control over it?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephcyte View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I will continue to main affli then, grinding ap and legendaries for it.

Is there a TLDR of 7.2.5 destro changes, like i get it that resource system gets changed to what it was pre legion but what does that actually means? Better aoe? QoL improvement? Or just a damage buff in a way that its not so random and u have more control over it?
    basically nothing changes, we went back to our pre legion destruction design, we lost shadowburn baseline and demonic circle baseline, but we got wreak havoc. All in all pretty decent trade, considering we trade random #1 dps for controlled dps and havoc burst windows. Don't expect destruction to be good in singletarget, ever.