Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

The Highlord's Return - Prot Warrior tips

Hey guys, I'm making this post here since its mainly for the Warrior class, can't really comment on other tank's scenario.

So I'm copy/pasting my post from the main thread in the General Discussion section into this one, and I hope it helps:

Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    I just completed this on my Prot Warrior less than a minute ago, so I'd like to give some pointers that helped me out. I'll start with my character's stats:

ilvl 899 Equipped - 44 Artifact traits - Can post a screenshot of gear if requested (Actually I'll just include a screenshot now: http://i.imgur.com/z5wFqRb.jpg?2 this was during the screen transition after the scenario)
    Legendaries used: Bracers + Belt (At this moment this combination yields the best results)
    Talents used: 2-1-1-2-1-3-1 (I made a @Focus macro for Storm Bolt so I could stun Variss/Kruul easily while running and avoiding infernals)
    Food used: Bear Tartare (Provided a lot of movement speed which helped a lot, especially during Kruul phase)
    Strength flask used of course

Now for the actual tips:

Phase 1 is pretty much the same across most tanks, only take about 4 stacks of debuff, when horrors spawn, tank them just outside the circle so your thunderclap/revenge/AoE in general can still hit Variss. Take care of eyes immediately if you can, but if you're comfortable with having some up, go ahead. They disappear when Kruul lands.
    Use orbs sparingly, because you want to transition with 3 orbs up if you can.

For Phase 2, I can only give Warrior-specific tips. The most important one is something that I've already seen in this thread, but its worth mentioning:
    Spell Reflect the Twisted Reflection cast. This is important for two reasons:
    1. It heals you for a decent amount, while you're taking the obscene amount of damage from green pools on the ground.
    2. You don't have to be near Kruul at all to interrupt it, just let it go through with Spell Reflection up since you'll most likely be getting pushed around and avoiding infernals.
    Bonus: Annihilate is a physical attack, so it can be blocked/Neltharion's Fury'd
    I also used my 2nd potion + Drums of Fury as soon as Kruul became attackable

Kruul only casts 2 things; Twisted Reflection, which we covered, and Annihilate. Annihilate is sort of like the soft enrage of the fight, because it has a stacking debuff and makes you take more damage from it. The goal is to kill Kruul within 3 casts of Annihilate, 4 casts if you use cooldowns to survive the 3rd one (because it does 12mil damage without defensives). You use the orbs to interrupt his Annihilate casts since they cannot be interrupted otherwise.

My strategy for this was to let Kruul cast his first Annihilate for free, make sure to have Spell Reflection ready for each cast of Twisted Reflection (which is easy because he doesn't cast it often). During his 2nd Annihilate cast I keep myself near an orb and pop it right before he finishes his cast. After the disorient, Kruul will immediately cast Annihilate again, at which point I use Storm Bolt to stun him for even longer and get some more damage on him. Kruul will again cast his 2nd Annihilate, which you can let go through but have shield block up at least to reduce some of the damage. Do the same with his 3rd Annihilate cast, delay it with orbs + Storm bolt if its up, but make sure you're ready for it when it finally goes through, Shield Wall should be used for this moment, but you can save it if you're comfortable with just using Nelth's Fury + Demo Shout. By the time Kruul gets to his 4th Annihilate cast, he should be dead.

That's all I can think of and I hope it helps some of you out. It can be done!
    Linking the WA's that I used for this encounter: https://wago.io/Nkm-RHnhG

Feel free to ask questions. Trying to help out as much as possible.
    Last edited by Tygerman; 2017-04-15 at 11:58 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tygerman View Post
    Hey guys, I'm making this post here since its mainly for the Warrior class, can't really comment on other tank's scenario.

So I'm copy/pasting my post from the main thread in the General Discussion section into this one, and I hope it helps:

Feel free to ask questions. Trying to help out as much as possible.
    did you use any WAs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Cailan Ebonheart View Post
    I've done nothing wrong. I'm not the one with the problem its everyone else that has a problem with me.
    Quote Originally Posted by MilesMcStyles View Post
    I don't care that other people don't play the content that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valech View Post
    did you use any WAs?
    Yes I did, I used ones from the wago.io website and I'll link it below:

https://wago.io/Nkm-RHnhG

This WA is just for the infernals when they cast their Smash ability, its just to let me know that I should be moving, or I should get ready to use Charge in case I get knocked back. I also made my own WA to track the stacks of Aura of Decay, but you don't really need it.

Jesus Christ, I beat this fucking challenge. Holy shit, what the fuck is all I gotta say.

Proof: http://imgur.com/a/n3bvC

Notes: I used Gronntooth and an ilvl 840 Gift of Radiance for my trinkets.

Stats in the picture, I had Legendary Shoulders and Legendary Bracers for what I chose to use.

Other important note: I had gliders ready (engineer) along with using the frag bomb belt attachment and a Cobalt Frag Bomb to help interrupt the Inquisitor's Dark Rends.

Talents Were Storm Bolt/IV/Renewed Fury/Bounding Stride/Devastator/Vengeance/Heavy Repercussions.

My god I do not want to even whisper the amount of attempts I did before I figured out leaping around for Victory Rush resets + getting out of the fire was more important than doing a smidge more dps with how many interrupts I brought along. I hate the booming voice + anger management setup.

Only extra note I would add for this is: Those beams in phase 2, you can jump over them to get past them more quickly (actual jump, not heroic leap). Also, be very aware of your shield block charges once you begin to get more annihilate stacks. You WILL need a shield block on every annihilate, and after the first one, you'll want cooldowns (I had to save demo-shout and shield wall for this and resist from using shield wall ever on the inquisitor if I was able to help it).

Also, I needed to get all the healing I could get, so I reflected every Twisted Reflection. Interrupt requires you to be in melee as well, so if you leaped away and had bad timing or pushed back by a beam/knocked back, it'd be gg.
    Last edited by Dralas; 2017-04-16 at 08:39 AM.

Deleted
    I didn't try it that much, but at around 900 equipped and 40 traits (no improved spell reflect yet), I'm getting fucked up by the mind wreck casts Variss does. Why is there so much variance between casts ? I take like 3 of them at around 600k damage, no biggie, I'm careful about not getting too many stacks of DnD, then out of the blue one of these casts kill me, with death log showing like 1M6 damage, 900K absorbed, 1M overkill. At first I thought the little adds debuff was responsible but then it happened when all these stacks faded.

Every Mind Rend is doing around, I wanna say, 2.1-2.5 million damage. Recap can be a bit deceptive because it doesn't factor in Ignore Pain. So if you die to a cast that does say, 2.5 million damage, and Ignore Pain absorbs say 2 million, recap will show 500k damage done to you. Basically, every Mind Rend hurts like hell. I would suggest doing the challenge after you have the new improved spell reflect. That's a lot of extra damage mitigated and makes a hell of a difference. The adds debuff just make their auto-attacks hit harder, doesn't affect the Mind Rends.

I would also highly recommend getting improved spell reflect as well. It can be done without it of course, but having it really does help.

Should I even bother if I don't have the bracers?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthias View Post
    Should I even bother if I don't have the bracers?
    Been wondering the same. I have Walls Fell/Kakushan's, and an ilvl of 897 with 43 traits. At this point my ilvl isn't likely to increase much more until ToS drops, so... beat my head into this learning it only to fail because I don't have the "proper" gear, or is it worth the shards?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

I think people have done it without the bracers, but had Prydaz as a "backup" of sorts. I'm sure its possible to do without bracers, but they certainly do help a ton.

High Overlord
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    Been wondering the same. I have Walls Fell/Kakushan's, and an ilvl of 897 with 43 traits. At this point my ilvl isn't likely to increase much more until ToS drops, so... beat my head into this learning it only to fail because I don't have the "proper" gear, or is it worth the shards?
    Im at 895 with Kakushan's and the belt (and others, but no bracers), and I'm passing on it til ToS. The bracers seem to be necessary at current ilvls. Too much dmg being thrown out. IV only goes so far. Im spending my time and shards on upgrades rather than beating my head against the challenge. Maybe once I get to 900 and/or the bracers I'll put serious attempts in.

10+ Year Old Account
    It seems the solution to P1 is using as many RANGED interrupts as you can, with engineering being the easiest means. Also the trinket from HoV.

Not being a Tauren or Bloodelf makes it even harder.

I'm convinced Mind Wreck is suppose to be reflectable, and they changed it at the last second to make it "harder".

Also 5mil health with devastator also seems mandatory or you won't be able to survive multiple mind-wreck casts.

Legendary bracers are mandatory unless you can burn down P1 after letting stacks drop off, so basically two cycles. There is no way it's doable without bracers unless you overgear it (IE, it's tuned for ToS Normal gear, so heroic ToS or equivalent is overgeared).

*EDIT*

Someone posted on the "official" thread about Parjesh's Medallion + Ember of Nullification trinket (ranged interrupt) combo instead of Legendary Bracer.
    Last edited by ImpTaimer; 2017-04-20 at 03:02 AM.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

Well, at 904 ilvl and two nerfs later I got mine. Belt and Bracers Legendaries with basic stat sticks and Shockwave.

Went in a bit harder and stayed on Variss at the start till 6 stacks and interupt Drain-Life with PUMMEL, waited at the eye to heal myself after Mindwreck. The eye's were nerfed to be IP fodder. Horrors came in and brought them back to boss and used Shockwave. Forget if I had pummel ready for the drain or not. Should have 2 circles from Velen by that point or a second coming in. Used pummel on Variss frequently to stop Mindwreck. Helps some with survival with a bunch of adds up.

For Phase 2 I made sure I had plenty of CDs to use for Kruul, the biggest being Spell Reflect. I would delay phase 2 if I didn't have it off CD. Other than that I kept him away from Velen because of the stomp. Near the end I just started chain stunning. Did get knocked off because of a stomp-infernal combo. Thankfully Kruul was low enough for Kor'vas to finish him off.

Quote Originally Posted by ImpTaimer View Post
    It seems the solution to P1 is using as many RANGED interrupts as you can, with engineering being the easiest means. Also the trinket from HoV.

Not being a Tauren or Bloodelf makes it even harder.

I'm convinced Mind Wreck is suppose to be reflectable, and they changed it at the last second to make it "harder".

Also 5mil health with devastator also seems mandatory or you won't be able to survive multiple mind-wreck casts.

Legendary bracers are mandatory unless you can burn down P1 after letting stacks drop off, so basically two cycles. There is no way it's doable without bracers unless you overgear it (IE, it's tuned for ToS Normal gear, so heroic ToS or equivalent is overgeared).

*EDIT*

Someone posted on the "official" thread about Parjesh's Medallion + Ember of Nullification trinket (ranged interrupt) combo instead of Legendary Bracer.
    I was able to complete the challenge pre-nerf without bracers at around 910 ilevel. So anyone without bracers should not be dissuaded from giving it a shot - it is most certainly possible. Proper VR management is necessary (sitting on procs until mind wreck hits etc). Also, unless it was changed along with the nerfs, Mind Wreck is reflectable.

For those without bracers I used gloves and swapped between trinket/neck. I had a sub-2mil wipe with trinket and managed to kill with neck. Trinkets were Tich fang and Angerboda. I took Stormbolt but Warbringer seems like a better choice in hindsight. Also something I found very useful was to use a macro to intercept Velen to get to orbs/get out of stomp.

This is by far the most difficult challenge but is very do-able after nerfs.
    Last edited by wazzu; 2017-04-20 at 08:26 AM.

Stood in the Fire KrotosTheTank's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wazzu View Post
    I was able to complete the challenge pre-nerf without bracers at around 910 ilevel. So anyone without bracers should not be dissuaded from giving it a shot - it is most certainly possible. Proper VR management is necessary (sitting on procs until mind wreck hits etc). Also, unless it was changed along with the nerfs, Mind Wreck is reflectable.

For those without bracers I used gloves and swapped between trinket/neck. I had a sub-2mil wipe with trinket and managed to kill with neck. Trinkets were Tich fang and Angerboda. I took Stormbolt but Warbringer seems like a better choice in hindsight. Also something I found very useful was to use a macro to intercept Velen to get to orbs/get out of stomp.

This is by far the most difficult challenge but is very do-able after nerfs.
    Unless I missed something, it says "reflect" but it doesn't actually send the damage his way, it just makes you take the 30/50% less dmg. I just did it last night, the nerfed HP in P1 made going into P2 with only 2 infernals easy and the rest was fairly straightforward. I think they must have nerfed his annihilate damage as well because i didn't feel like i did too well on them and had little trouble. FWIW, did it at 900 ilvl and i used bracers/belt with an 865 arcanocrystal and the stam/vers ember of nullfication (amazing for the casts).

Finally killed it this morning after around 75 attempts (most of which were before the hp nerf). Here's a screenshot for proof http://i.imgur.com/Jtlb0hD.jpg

The gear I used gave me a 897 ilvl equipped with a heavy focus on versatility. I used a horn of valor and a stat stick for trinkets, strength flask and bear tarter food for the movement speed in p2. The legendaries I used were gloves/bracers. The only tips I can offer have already been mentioned such as spell reflect the heal debuff from kruul and use the artifact ability for annihilate.

Here's my armory although I will probably switch back into some more mastery gear. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Xavoc/advanced

Thanks to this thread I got some ideas on what to do. Got kruul to 20% without hero because I forgot and my second pot. I kind of brute forced it with a 30+% haste heavy rest vers build. Like 5k in both vers and mastery. Used shoulders for warbringer and belt for booming voice. Talents 3 1 1 3 1 3 1. I used a very blunt and brute force method to basically tough it out while smashing him. Spell reflect. Pummel. Run out and charge. Arcane torrent for p1. Until I felt overwhelmed at like 8-10 stacks and jumped away to reset. Kind of ignored eyes. and used orbs liberally when I felt danger. If I had more time and shards I could have downed it if I didn't panic when I couldn't find my drum button. To those who don't have bracers, it's gonna take practice to find your own method. Warbringer helped a lot too. When I get knocked away I could at least stun variss and get time to jump to an orb and reset or something. Also stun doesn't dr if someone didn't know so you can use it liberally and strategically on all phases. Good luck fellow wars.

Also used a vers stat stick. And emblem of nullification. Equipped was like 894-897 idr . Not at home.

Deleted
    mage tower up again soon in EU.

think im gonna try stunning during annihilate cast, then moving out of range to see if i can force it on korvas to buy some time. since usually what kills me is annihilate or bad pools.

I'm not sure if I should stack Haste for more rage IP generation or run my 28% Versatility set to try and mitigate more of his casts. His default cast absolutely obliterates you. :/

I wish I had the gloves, but only Bracers/Shoulders for this.

Deleted
    So apparently i am a fucking noob. I have 902 equipped, 2p bonus from the NH set and because i have no other trinkets i use the royal dagger haft and raven idolon.
    I use the suggested talents and even have the belt and the bracers. Yet dont even get the first boss below 90%. I move out of the decay at 3 stacks and then try to heal me up but the mind rend kills me every time.

Any tips?